Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2023, 03:35 PM   #1
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Propane tanks

We are full timers. Question is we have two propane tanks. If I leave both turned on will they auto switch over when one is empty?

Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:46 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing View Post
We are full timers. Question is we have two propane tanks. If I leave both turned on will they auto switch over when one is empty?
Yes. The auto switch valves have been known to fail but it should work.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Yes the change over valve will switch automatically to the other tank when the current one is empty. You do need to look periodically to see if the indicator has turned from green (current tank) to red (backup tank being used). Turn the lever to point to the now "current" tank (i.e. the one with propane) and the indicator will go back to green. Turn off the empty tank, remove and re-fill it, put it back and open the valve. You are now prepared for the next cycle.

The good news is if you run out in the middle of the night, when the temps are below freezing, you keep on truckin' without a trip outside in your skivvies to flip the lever.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
In the files section there is a manual for the auto switching valve.
Be aware if you don't keep an eye on your propane level, it will switch over and you could run both tanks out.
Get Mopeka tank sensors and you can check your tank levels from your phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231120-114318_Tank .jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	16020  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:21 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yes, they will switch over automatically.

But, you really need to keep vigilant watch on them if you open both at the same time. There is a green-red indicator on the cross over regulator that will turn red when the tank is empty. The system will automatically switch over, and the red indicator will stay red, letting you know that tank is empty.

Flip the switch the other direction and it will turn green. Disconnect the empty propane tank and get it filled up again. Re-install. all good! right!

Well..... maybe not. It works well if you monitor your tanks. In cold weather (like 32 degrees or less) you can expect to run through one 30 pound propane tank in just a few days if you are running your furnace. If it gets cold enough, you can run through one tank in less than 2 days.

If you are NOT vigilantly watching that red-green indicator, you can easily run both tanks completely empty and not know it until you are completely out of propane. I did this only once and then decided, never again, especially when the outside temperature was only about 20 degrees and it was in the middle of the night!

If you watch that indicator like a hawk, you can get the empty tank filled up before the other one runs empty. But, if you miss and wait too long before checking, you could find yourself completely empty.

I choose to keep one tank turned off all the time. When the open tank runs empty, I know know it immediately (the furnace and the gas stove done light any more). I can go out (even in 20 degree weather) flip the valve, close the empty tank, open the full one and know I now have an empty tank. First thing after daylight, I'm heading somewhere to get that propane tank filled up. I've never, ever run completely out doing it this way.

But yes, they do automatically switch, and then you flip the indicator valve. That indicator is just that, an indicator. It does not effect the propane flow between the 2 tanks. It will empty one, then switch over automatically to use the other. But you can control also by keeping one tank completely turned off. The red-green indicator still works the same way. It's just an indicator for the tank it's pointed to. Nothing more.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:27 AM   #6
4mcqueens
Established Member

M.O.C. #33565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
In the files section there is a manual for the auto switching valve.
Be aware if you don't keep an eye on your propane level, it will switch over and you could run both tanks out.
Get Mopeka tank sensors and you can check your tank levels from your phone.

I'll second this for the mopeka. It takes a bit of fiddling to get set-up and one needs to follow the directions carefully, but once it's going it is really slick. It also comes with a small wireless display that you can mount very easily with command strips in your control center and check it along side your water/battery status.
4mcqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:01 PM   #7
Dave and Beta
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22710
I highly recommend the Mopeka sensors, but recommend saving your money in the receiving monitor. Download the program on your phone and sync the sensors to your phone. You Ann customize the settings also.
Dave and Beta is offline   Reply With Quote