Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Just to throw fuel on the fire

To the age old question of do you want to run with the propane on so the refrigerator can run let me add my latest experience. My front street side 614 blew without any notice. Because I was in the sholder lane and only doing 60 I got on the shoulder and stopped almost immediately. Even so the shredding tire took out the TST on the tire behind it ruining that tire and sliced the loom ,holding the gas hose and electrical for the kitchen, in half dropping the gas hose and the electrical to the road right in front of the shredding tire. A big piece of tire tread got caught in my disk brake protruding out in front of the shredding tire and appears to be what kept the gas hose and electrical out from under the shredded tire and wheel. If I had had the propane on and either the shredding tire cut the hose or it got under the tire I would have had a more exciting time than I did. Now the reason given for folks wanting to run with the fridg on is to keep it cold. The fridg was off from 8am Sunday morning until 11:30 on Monday in 70 degree temperatures. We only opened the door once and yet at noon on Monday the fridge was still at 41 degrees and the ice in a bag on right side (warmer side) of the freezer was still in cubes not frozen together.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Boy Howdy Dick ... you've not only shredded your tire, but potentially shredded a long standing notion that G614's are impervious to failure. Quite a dilemma you had ... glad it stopped at what you described. You had better never get rid of that fridge as the last two fivers I've owned had fridges that would have never come close to the temperature holding ability of yours. Some with good reason will heed your caution about propane while traveling ... I'll play the percentages and keep it lit. My fridge doesn't maintain temp well and will take too long to recover a shut down.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Dick, what was the manufacturing date of the tire, and was that the same tire that you had the IS failure on after you had it installed?
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I'm like dieselguy. I like gambling when the odds are heavy in my favor. Bad things can and do happen but you can't guard against all of them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our double door Norcold in the 13 3402 will hold temps to in the 40,s after a 8 or 10 hours run IF we do not open the doors. The freezer we have in the rear will only lose maybe 5 degrees .Good story of the tire blowout and the propane
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
If the propane hose had severed, the safe check should have closed and shut off flow, instantly. It does work.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
John you are right about the shut off valve. On one of our other Montana I blew a tire and it ripped the gas line off. By the time I got stopped you did not even smell any propane.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Dick, what was the manufacturing date of the tire, and was that the same tire that you had the IS failure on after you had it installed?
No, it was one on the other side. Even though I know better I still did something stupid. I was counting the tire as being 51/2 years old with around 50,000 miles on it, but that was when I put them on. It really was a little over 6 years old.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I posted something about this way back, but will repeat it. We put a layer of bottled water in the bottom of the freezer at the beginning of each season and let it freeze solid. The refer will stay cold for at least a full day without being turned on that way. We also can pull a bottle or two out if we're going on an outing and need something to cool our 'travel' cooler (stick a couple new ones in when we do this). Since not much can fit there anyway, this works very well for us.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:10 AM   #10
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Dick, I am glad you did not have more damage than you described. I the advice of replacing tires every five years has been my golden rule. In my 3582 RL the fridge is way front of the tires. I have always run with the propane on but if my rig was configured like yours I would hope I would rethink that. That said I just never considered the placement of the fridge or the stove for that matter, as it relates to the tires. I am going to crawl under my rig and see where all the gas and power lines are run. See just what is above, in front of and behind the tires.

Another great reason to be on the MOC as I just learned a valuable lesson.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We solved the Fridge/Propane issue, by getting the Residential Package with Fridge and Induction Cook Top. Our propane only runs to the Furnace, Hot Water Heater, and Generator, all well forward of the axles/tires.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

I posted something about this way back, but will repeat it. We put a layer of bottled water in the bottom of the freezer at the beginning of each season and let it freeze solid. The refer will stay cold for at least a full day without being turned on that way. We also can pull a bottle or two out if we're going on an outing and need something to cool our 'travel' cooler (stick a couple new ones in when we do this). Since not much can fit there anyway, this works very well for us.
We use 4 Blue Packs when we stop over night we put 4 in the freezer at the CG in the AM we move 2 down to the refrigerator area never a problem. When we travel we take a Minimum amount of food. Works for us!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
mmgeol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10293
I'm with you Dick on the propane. After two sessions with Mac the Fire guy, I finally got the message, evaluated the risk, and decided the risk was too great for me. I can run most of the day with the refer off when traveling and as long as I do not open it up, it is fine.
mmgeol is offline   Reply With Quote