Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
TowingHome

M.O.C. #23565
Bubbles Under Bedroom Slide

Was just wondering if this looks normal for underneath the bedroom slide. They were there when we got the rig (we ordered it, so it did not sit in the lot) and noted them to the dealer who seemed unconcerned about them. We got the unit in May and the slide has not been out in any rain as it has not rained in our area since then. The wood underneath the bubbles under the slide do not feel soft or spongy. When I do press on the bubbles I do, however, hear a "clicking" noise like the layer is trying to stick to an adhesive, then lets go. The dealer did wash the rig before our inspection. TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubbles under slide.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	4781  

TowingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
sbemis611
Established Member

M.O.C. #17705
Me Too

I have a 2018 3560 RL and I have something similar. Seems like the glue they used does not hold. I don't believe it is going to hurt anything, I like you tried to push it back up to no avail. Its screwed on around the edges so I guess you could take it apart and re-glue it, but probably not worth the effort. I would just make sure that the edges are all sealed so no moisture gets in there otherwise I would not sweat it.

2018 Montana 3560RL
2015 Ford F350 6.7 B&W Companion
sbemis611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
TowingHome

M.O.C. #23565
Thanks Steve!
I thought that it was probably the glue letting go in places, but I wanted to see if others had the issue and get their thoughts. It does seem too much work to unscrew the edges and re-glue the thing since it is not the entire cover hanging down. I think if it gets worse, I may try and cut a couple of small x's and put some superglue or epoxy in the area and reseal the cuts.
TowingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Towinghome - we pay good money for these units and as such should expect a high quality product and not be expected to settle with whatever comes off the line. IMHO you should call Keystone direct and file a claim and force the dealer to address it. It may seem minor now but a year from...? Also, if you try to repair it and it doesn't work Keystone certainly will not warranty it.
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Montajmahal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23285
Keystone does not consider it a defect; I have submitted it under warranty when I was a warranty admin. My 2018.5 3791RD has been like that since day one. It has hurt nothing and I don’t sweat it. Just poor glue adhesion. Mark
Montajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montajmahal View Post
Keystone does not consider it a defect; I have submitted it under warranty when I was a warranty admin. My 2018.5 3791RD has been like that since day one. It has hurt nothing and I don’t sweat it. Just poor glue adhesion. Mark
If it’s poor glue adhesion, and they know about this issue, why not use a different adhesive ? Learn from failures and move on.... insanity is doing or in this case using the same glue expecting a different result..... my 1 cents worth lol
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #7
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowingHome View Post
Was just wondering if this looks normal for underneath the bedroom slide. They were there when we got the rig (we ordered it, so it did not sit in the lot) and noted them to the dealer who seemed unconcerned about them. We got the unit in May and the slide has not been out in any rain as it has not rained in our area since then. The wood underneath the bubbles under the slide do not feel soft or spongy. When I do press on the bubbles I do, however, hear a "clicking" noise like the layer is trying to stick to an adhesive, then lets go. The dealer did wash the rig before our inspection. TIA
My new 2019 331RL did it too. It should not come loose this way but I believe it is a hot / cold thing. They do not leave any room for expansion and contraction of the material under the slide as it is adhered all around and sealed on four sides. When it gets hot, it expands and has to come loose somewhere as the material grows. I think when it gets cooler this fall and eventually in winter the material will shrink and it will be tight to the underside again.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I am not sure what the cause is, but our unit (bought used ) has the same issue, only worse. The bubbles were cracked and exposed the wood sub floor. I originally requested the dealer fix it until I discovered the entire slide would have to be removed to fix it (and would happen again if fixed). I declined, thinking more damage would occur from removing the slide. They compensated me for not having them do the repair.

As much as I hate to say it, yours will eventually crack also. There is no preventing it. I also think expansion/contraction play a role in what is happening.

Fortunately, it is not exposed to the weather while the slide is in or out.

Mine is stapled every inch and covered with black silicon to help conceal and seal it up. I just keep a close eye on it
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Ours looked the same way. Dealer said the glue separated, and removed it, and re-glued it. Looked great. He said he used better glue. Three weeks later, and two camping trips, the glue separated and looks like it did before. Warranty ran out. So, I guess it will have to stay and see what happens.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Have a look at the white rollers under the slide. Take a black sharpie and draw a line across them in the middle. Have DW retract the slide and watch the rollers. If they roll, great. If not loosen the lock nut on the end a couple of turns. Mine were over tightened and did not roll. They dragged.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:35 AM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Have a look at the white rollers under the slide. Take a black sharpie and draw a line across them in the middle. Have DW retract the slide and watch the rollers. If they roll, great. If not loosen the lock nut on the end a couple of turns. Mine were over tightened and did not roll. They dragged.
Your unit is not in your signature I presume since you just joined it's a newer model.. the older models with hydraulic slides have no rollers they glide on a plastic ware bar that goes from side to side
Old 10-04-2019, 04:19 AM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Lots of input but the one thing worthwhile is for you to contact Montana and report the issue for any future issues related to this.

p.s. MAKE SURE YOU DOCUMENT WHO AND WHEN you called.

right now not an issue, but....
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Lots of input but the one thing worthwhile is for you to contact Montana and report the issue for any future issues related to this.

p.s. MAKE SURE YOU DOCUMENT WHO AND WHEN you called.

right now not an issue, but....
I'm sure Keystone is well aware of the issue since it has been happening for a least a decade or so. Will they no anything about it, I'm guessing, NOT
Old 10-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
My older model monte has cable controlled bedroom slide, but the bottom is white rigid plastic that all the rollers roll on. Glad I don't have what they are using now.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
gtpathomas

M.O.C. #23449
My 2019 3121 has the same bubbles. Keystones has approved the replacement.
gtpathomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpathomas View Post
My 2019 3121 has the same bubbles. Keystones has approved the replacement.
Good luck but my guess is it will return after its replacement
Old 10-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I'd also guess its poor glue adhesion. If not fixed now and after many opening/closing cycles, I suspect there will be cracking or tearing. If KS refuses to fix, if it were me, I'd get a glue needle and insert it at the center of each bubble and work it around and use a small roller to press the fabric to the underside. I don't think contact adhesive would work since both surfaces need to cure slightly and probably wouldn't in a virtually airtight environment. Something as simple as E6000 might work, or perhaps Marine 5200.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #18
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
When contact glue is properly applied, it is rare for it to turn loose. Quality control is apparent. Lack of it.
You will need to make sure the glue being used to “fix” the problem is compatible with the glue originally used.
The manufacturer should be able to provide proper information and procedure.
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I think it's more of a condition of what these RV are being subjected to. Meaning some people are using them in 120 degree weather others in 10 degree weather. The plastic used under the slides expands and contract differently to what it's glued to. Of course I'm not certain but I suspect any kind of glue is not going to withstand them conditions
Old 10-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #20
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
It's all about the one year and the dollar bill. You can ask all you want and if push comes to shove, Keystone owns NOTHING, they lease everything. They operate off of zero assets. I know...……..
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote