Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2005, 04:50 AM   #21
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I use Sprint. I have a card that goes in a slot of my laptop. I click an icon on the Desktop and whola, I am connected. I do not use Sprint as my ISP (Internet Service Provider) even though I could, I use Speakeasy. The monthly cost on Sprint is $80 for unlimited connection access time. My ISP cost is I think $25 a month or less (I use Speakeasy because it also provides unlimited dailup when needed and several other features used at the stick house). You can find other ISP's for next to nothing in cost. This past week we traveled to New Orleans, LA from our stick house in Merritt Island Florida and had service coverage the entire trip (followed the weather the entire time being connected). Connection speed is very reasonable (faster than dailup slower than DSL). There have been just a few areas where we have had poor reception for a connection (like in the middle of the Ocala National Forest). Overall, I have been very pleased with the service from Sprint.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:44 PM   #22
Montana_4027
Established Member

M.O.C. #4027
I am going to look into the Satelite Internet service (such as "StarBand"). I sounds like it won't be any higher than some of you are paying. The speed should be much faster, also.
Does anyone have experience,,, or know anyone, that has this??
Montana_4027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #23
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We are on the road in an RV park in Paso Robles CA. Has WiFi. My first experience with the laptop and wireless. It shows a low signal strength but I'm on and not too bad. Had no problem getting on the internet and into the MOC.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:52 AM   #24
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
I have Cingular phone & Data. I just checked my speed & found it to be 92kbps down & 41 kbps up. I use the Cingular Edge card, unlimited data on my Lap Top. I use a phone number but no phone on that line. I think it costs me $79.95 a month. I always have a good connection, at least so far.My only worry is in Ga., we live in a campsite that is in a deep valley. Sometimes I have to go up the hill to get service.
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:42 AM   #25
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Joy and I have the cingular GC83 EDGE PC Card. Love it today, hated it yesterday. When I loaded the CD I don't know if I did not follow the directions properly or what, but ended losing all files that where not backed up. the computer would not do anything not even start in safe mode. Had to reboot to factory specs.
I called cingluar and they where the nicest people and stayed on the line with me until late last night. They had me download an INSTALL program from Sony Ericsson from the internet [They did not want me to use the CD agian] everthing has worked great all day. We are on a 30 day trial and $80. per month unlimited use. I will let you all know how it works out when we get on the road. So far this is almost as fast as DSL.
We will be in the Boon Docks For A week At the end of the month.
Mel

melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #26
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Wiseman
Keep in mind that Sprint offers unlimited data service via their vision service for $10 per month. This is not your standard 14,400 baud dial-in but real high speed internet access. Time online does NOT count against voice minutes. We have used this service successfully for at least 2 years. We have watched Sprints PCS service area grow to the point where now they have excellent coverage in most urban/suburban areas of the US. This service is next to free when you consider that no other ISP is needed, there is only a single number to dial for the entire US, and no hardware (ie PCMCIA card) is needed - sorry you need a $25 USB cable from your phone to the computer.
Ken Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote