Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Not a stock holder but impressed with KOA changes!

Last year I ended up staying at 16 KOA campgrounds, across the US. Three years ago I would never had stopped. The new CEO has managed to build a fire under what I perceived were for the most part, poorly managed and maintained campgrounds. While far from perfect, almost every KOA I stayed at, was pleasant and inviting. This weekend we stayed in a KOA near Lassen Volcanic Park. This Park like others have created premier spaces with great features. This weekend we had a 12x20 patio with Gas BBQ and high end outdoor furniture. They got an extra $20.00 a night, but my entire camping group enjoyed the space. We have rented similar sites at other KOAs. While kid friendly (a negative in some peoples view), we have always been asked if we wanted more privacy. At every facility they delivered ice, or fire wood with a call to front desk! Last the membership benefits have been useful and easy to access. We have earned several free nights, useable at any KOA, along with other discounts. Just wanted to share my observations and report a positive change in an old institution!

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Thanks for the report. Still not my cup of tea.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #3
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Probably our most favorite KOA is at Watkins Glen New York. They have an indoor heated pool and hot tub. They have quite a choice of sites from basic to premium. We will be there one week Thursday for 4 nights. We have stayed in several in New York and found them to be extremely nice campgrounds.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
The nearest campground to our former stick house in Ohio is a KOA. We can't judge it, because we've never been able to get in. I know the oil and gas boom in northeast Ohio has put a strain on all campgrounds, but there is something wrong with the picture when you can't get a reservation for two nights in the middle of March in the iceberg called Ohio.

On the other hand we stayed in a campground in the Florida Keys that was just acquired by a Thousand Trails affiliate. Seems like the former owner had a KOA franchise and refused to maintain the place to KOA standards. KOA pulled their franchise.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have enjoyed most of the KOAs that we have stayed at in OH, PA, AR, MO, etc. I just do not like their prices. Way to high.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
Yup! we live in the 'home town' of KOA, have stayed in them for many years... Almost always a dependable, nice place to stay, BUT I agree with Capt'n Joe... Prices are the HIGHEST you will find.
OrangeCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
that is a good post Artemus. KOA takes a beating on most forums but we have always liked KOA campgrounds and we use then most of the time when on the road. In the past 7 years we have only been at one KOA that was one of the worst campground we have ever been in. We like to stay in nice Campgrounds even if only for overnight. Pull through, Full hookups 50 amps. We find the KOA is price compatible with campgrounds that offer the same service. there are expensive ones like near heavy tourist areas but all campground in the same area are high priced also. The KOA in S.C that we stay at on our way to and from Florida is now 47.87 Total Pull through, Full hookups, 50 amps. Well managed, clean and they do not have a bad pizza and easy on and off the interstate. They deliver food to your door, propane on site. Wine tasting and some good wine. We usually get in early and unwind after a day on the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
The summers I was 9 and 10 years old (1972 & 1973) my parents took us four kids from Boston to Denver and back with stops at the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, Old Faithful, the Corn Palace (is it still there?) and other great sights across the US. Dad had acquired an old yellow school bus that my uncle had renovated into a makeshift RV. I seem to remember staying in more than one KOA. Haven't stayed in any since RVing as an adult, but I've got fond memories from my youth. Maybe we should try one again sometime.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by napria

The summers I was 9 and 10 years old (1972 & 1973) my parents took us four kids from Boston to Denver and back with stops at the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, Old Faithful, the Corn Palace (is it still there?) and other great sights across the US. Dad had acquired an old yellow school bus that my uncle had renovated into a makeshift RV. I seem to remember staying in more than one KOA. Haven't stayed in any since RVing as an adult, but I've got fond memories from my youth. Maybe we should try one again sometime.
Yes Corn Palace is still in Mitchell South Dakota
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
We, too, like KOAs. We agree that they are pricey....but offer more than what we have found in typical campgrounds. We especially use them when we are camping with the Grandkids. The playgrounds, pools, hayrides, movies, petting zoo, ice cream socials, fishing ponds, peewee golf and so many other amenities are great fun when you have little ones!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753

We have stayed at a few KOA's in the last couple years. None have been outstanding. I do expect certain things from a KOA campground for the price. On site propane in a big one. It's getting harder to find places to fill tanks when on the road. The employees have always been friendly and helpful.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We are in another KOA outside of Oklahoma City tonight. We will use 2 or 3 others ones on this 6 week trip. Last year I think we used them 5 or 6 times. We were just looking at our "points" tonight and figured that by the end of this trip we could possibly have one free night coming. I agree that they are generally nicer than the average CG. This one has very large sites with nice iron deck furniture and a raised fire pit. Very friendly staff. I just would rather pay $30 or so a night than the KOA prices every night.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Several years ago, we were driving to Niagara Falls and decided to make a 2 day trip out of it. We stayed at the Herkimer KOA in upstate NY overnight and I was very pleasantly surprised by the campground. Still one of the nicer, cleaner places I've stayed. I've always had good luck with KOA's, though we don't use them that much. We stayed in a lot of them when I was a kid. The only one in Massachusetts is 6 miles from my home. No, we don't use that one. Might as well stay home.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #14
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
The local KOA sold out to a nice couple and they have made some good improvements. Some of you have surely stayed there, it is at I 95 exit 61, Wade exit in NC.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
Hamiltons111

M.O.C. #14243
If you ever stay at a bad one, be careful when you review it. The KOA owner sees the review before it gets sent on to KOA. In a review that I did, I explained in my review that I didn't like all of the drinking and foul language at the pool around my 8 year old and 2 year old. It was one big party, not kid friendly. I couple weeks later, after writing the review, we thought that we would give the KOA a second chance. We were on our way home and needed a place to rest. After all, what was the chances that those same people from the pool would still be there. To my surprise the party was by the owner. When I was checking in he ask me if I was there previously a couple of weeks ago. I answered yes, and he proceeded to throw me and my family out. He told us that he knew I was the one that reviewed them and to get off his property and never come around again. My kids were just killed..... We had to drive another hour before finding a campground. The first time I called KOA they just said sorry. That was not good enough. I complained again and to my surprise I had a call from a wonderful lady at KOA and she was quick to offer a free stay at a KOA of my choice. For a while it left a bad taste, but we have stayed at several nice ones since. I understand that it was just one bad apple.
Hamiltons111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

I have enjoyed most of the KOAs that we have stayed at in OH, PA, AR, MO, etc. I just do not like their prices. Way to high.
Same here...exactly.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What is considered a high price for a Campground .We always ask for pull through, full hookups, 50 amp service. We will stay at a Passport America Campground if it is not to far off the interstate but we still ask for the same services. I think the longest we have ever stayed at a KOA was 2 days. We use them for overnighters when we are on the road.

We paid 12.00 for a P.A campground (50% off) in Texas and got exactly what we paid for. We also paid 25.00(50% off ) for a PA Campground near Atlanta and it was one of the best C.G's we have been at.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #18
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
We've stayed at over 50 different KOA's over the years, and while not every one is on the top of our list, overall they're a great place for us to stay when we're on the road.

No, we're not full-timers, but we do spend 2 to 3 months in our Monte on the road every year. We appreciate the level of comfort we get at KOA's. We recommend them to our friends.

Sure, we stay at other places too, and have found some rather surprisingly interesting campgrounds. But we have pulled out of campgrounds we pulled into when they were not up to our minimum standards.

Your mileage may vary....
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote