Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Blue Ridge Parkway

Looking at doing the "Blue Ridge Parkway" and was wondering who may have done it. I Know that there are some low clearences along the way in NC but I plan on getting on near Ashville off the # 40. Any comments on this route would be appriciated. I know not all the CG are open this time of the year.Looking at the about the 8-9 of Apr. .
Joe

brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We pulled from asheville to about 150 miles and it is a hard pull . yes the tunnels are low but you can get a map and camp guide to give you the heights of the tunnels. measure you unit hooked up so you you know your height youe self not what someone said. it is a slow ride but very beautifull . you will enjoy. but you mite bet a month early or more as lots of stuff is still closed to my idea. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Sailer x 2 You might even want to camp off the Pkwy and do daytrips. You probably a few days early for blooms and such, but the vistas are wonderful. It would be a challenge to drive and see the sites. A great trip but takes some planning and patience. IMHO Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
I think the suggestion that Larry gave of staying off the Parkway is a good one. I don't think the Parkway campgrounds are open this time of the year, and they usually aren't big rig friendly, have small sites, don't have electric hookups, and no water to each site. We had a popup before we got the Montana and even with the popup we didn't stay in NC campgrounds. Grandfather RV Resort is open all year and has good ratings - http://www.grandfatherrv.com/. We've never stayed there so I can't say if it's good or bad but it looks nice. That area is close to the Parkway, Boone, Grandfather Mountain, and the ski resorts (which are already closing down because we've had such a warm winter). Have a great time, and we wish we could come too!
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
One more thing, check the Parkway closures at http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm
so you don't go on an unplanned detour.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I live about 10 miles from the Parkway. It is the most beautiful road I have ever been on. It is the most used national park, but never crowded. If you wont to visit the Parkway, go for it you will enjoy it. Take your time stop at the over looks and drive slow. You might also wont to visit the Crooked Road. No it is not a place people race their RVs, it is a road 300 miles that tells the history of country music. Country music as we know it started in Bristol VA. Stop on Floyd Va. You can probably find the Crooked Road on the Web.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
cwalker, thanks for that link.
joe
Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
You are very welcome! Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We drove part of the parkway last summer in NC. Only in the truck--I would not take the Monty--tunnels and twisting roads. And if you had to get off--some of the roads off the parkway are even more twisting. I believe that my F350, crewcab and long bed with its long wheel base took up both sides of the road on some hairpin turns. It is a great touring road--but not with the Monty.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
I would not take the Monty on it. Last year we were in the Asheville area and stayed in a campground. We took many day trips and thoroughly enjoyed it. The parkway is very windy and narrow at many spots. You would not be able to get in the many pull offs that the parkway has.

We went further north up to Virginia and toured that part of the parkway too.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Another private campground with access from the parkway is Bears Den, near Spruce Pine, NC. Plenty of room for a Monty, and easy to get to.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Been there a couple times and I would not take the Monty, or the now SOB. We tour it in the 1 ton long bed, like Tim and Susan, and then in the Saturn Vue. As stated, the entrance roads to the parkway can be tight switchbacks, and some of the parkway is twisty-turny and narrow when considering what you are towing. The over looks would be difficult to get into if it is a clear touristy day with the Monty behind you.

It's a beautiful ride, and there are campgrounds along the Parkway, just plan ahead of where you are going to get on, and off. Google the parkway and look at the satellite view of the roads.

Happy trails.

Edited: p.s, there is at least on tunnel that you will need to have rangers stop the opposing traffic so you can travel the middle - I think I have read that before.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
grandfather mtn campground is nice..but ask to be up on the hill....we were there last fall and would go back...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Parkway is a winding road it is up and down and you haft to go slow but going fast would be like running through a museum. I was on the parkway this afternoon, my wife and I went on it to go out to eat. Of the dozen or so pullovers we passed there was only one you couldn't take your camper. It is easy to tell which ones you can't take your camper, If you cant see both ends don't go. As you can probally tell I love the Parkway and spend a lot of time up there.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Well we did the Parkway from Ashville and drove to Waynesbro with one dtour which put us to a CG called Deer Creek near Galax,VA. Nice CG and great owner. For our time on the parkway including the detour and some running around we averaged about 30MPH. Great scenery and we had great weather. Would like to go back there when all the rodoendrums are in bloom. That willl be another trip.I didn;t find that it was that bad of a pull and yes there are a few overlooks that you have to back out of, but part of RVing.
Later
Joe
Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
flsts
Established Member

M.O.C. #9467
Yes, the Blue Ridge Pkway is a MUST see, but not with the Monty! The Monty would take all the fun out of it. 30mph, sharp turns, very few stretches of road that you could pull off, if needed(flat, mechanical problem, etc). We've been up there many times. We Take the Monty(toyhauler) up and stay at Doughton Park Campground or stay at one of the campgrounds off the parkway if Doughton is full. When we stay at Doughton, we get on the pkway via Rt 21. Doughton Park like most of the campgrounds on the pkway only have a few spots that can handle large rigs. Note: Doughton Park is dry camping only. We have the advantage of having the Harley with us, so we set up camp and do day trips on the Blue Ridge with the Harley. Another good private RV park just off the pkway is called Raccoon Holler Campground. They have large rig sites, good friendly people run it, and reasonable prices.
Here's my link to Daughton Park and Raccoon Holler Campground: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...7c29f30d&msa=0
flsts is offline   Reply With Quote