Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Roof "Bubbles"

Our 2007 3400 will be a year old this week. Yesterday we noticed that the seam in the bedroom roof directly across from the front A/C had a brown, sticky material on it-can't tell if the A/C is involved or something is leaking from above. There are also about a half-dozen "bubbles" in the ceiling just forward of the seam area. Do we have a roof leak? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
If you have ANY questions or doubts, take it to the dealer before the warranty expires.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have some in the same place. We are told that bubbles are normal and not to worry, I do not think they are normal but what do I know.. We did have them looked at when at the rally last year and had the Keystone person who said they were normal put that in writing.I am just that way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I have a 2005 unit and the roof also had bubbles in it. Got the same story also, not a problem. Now I have small pits in the rubber and guess what! not the roof manufacturer problem either. You know what they can do with there warrenties !!!
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:21 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The "bubbles" will be more prevalent during hot weather than when in cold weather. The roofing material will shrink in the cold and stretch during the heat. Our rig is over seven years old and although I was a little concerned in the beginning, when my dealer (who I believe is the best RV dealer in the USA) assured me that the "bubbles" were normal.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
You mentioned a seam. I thought all of the rubber roofs were seamless. Are you refering to the edges of the rubber roof or is there more than one piece on your roof?

As for the bubbles, Keystone indicated to me that the entire roof is glued down, so a bubble indicates to me that it is no longer glued down. Having said that, we have several bubbles on our trailer and got the same story from the dealer and Keystone. The bubbles have been there since the first time we cleaned our roof, but I don't know if they are any worse. I suspect that they don't do a real good job of glueing the rubber down and that the temperature changes and wind only make it worse. I'm not aware of anything that can be done about it.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I should have said bedroom ceiling (interior), not the rubber roof.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote