Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
GM Service Bulletin on Power Up devices

I have been a proponent of aftermarket performance enhancements for the Duramax based on my very positive experience with a Hypertech program in my 2003 2500 HD. Having said that, there is a very in teresting service bulletin just released by GM.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-M...007/index.html

The bulletin describes engine failures suspected from over use of these devices. It looks like something of a fishing trip as the incidence of such failures are very very small especially where the truck is not abused. Also, the GM mechanics say GM backs down pretty quick unless there is obvious abuse.

For most of us, there is little threat here as the failure rate is rather trivial. However, if you use one of these daevices at max performance, day in and day out, expect some reduction in engine life.

Personally, I can't wait to share this with the Banks sales guy that keeps calling me. I called asking about an exhaust break and can't get rid of him.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I tried the link, does not seem to be working. I am one that is personally against the use of these devices, my Duramax does so well being 100% stock I cannot justify taking a chance on any upgrades that might or might not provide anything other than possible break downs with the motor. None the less I would sure like to read that bulletin.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
The only upgrades I'm going to install next month is a pyrometer and a "cat-back" exhaust system to improve exhaust flow and reduce EGT's. You would think that GM would have installed a pyro and have the reading appear on the DIC along with all of the other "stuff" like fuel used, mpg's etc. If I'm not mistaken, within the Duramax section in the owners manual, they do make reference to towing & EGT's---probably would have cost the factory 50 bucks to integrate the pyro unit and of course, after they build in the profit margin, would have added $125.00 to the cost of the truck.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I cannot access the link either.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:52 AM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I fixed the link.
Here it is:
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-M...007/index.html
As has been said in the past--this is a personal decision. Each has to weight the risks and benefits and decide for themselves. I admit I like ponies but I only use them to get a margin when needed.. No hot rodding here.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Dave that was very interesting I forwaded it to my friend that just got a new Duramax GMC.

Don
Old 04-26-2006, 05:18 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Dave, I had a BD exhaust brake installed on my 2004 LLY, Works really well! My dealer said that GM is ok with this particular exhaust brake. My mechanic that installed the brake said that as far as he was concerned this was the only thing that the Duramax needed in the way of aftermarket
upgrades. He said the ex. gas temps are not really a problem wihth the LLY, and the exhaust sytem is large enough to scavenge the gases with no problem, thereby keeping temps down.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Very interesting information, thanks for posting the link.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
All diesel pickup truck builders would do better to can all the tachometers and install boost, pyrometer, transmission temp,oil temp and fuel pressure gauges. In the operators manual they could explain how each one works, and what it is for.If you really want to know how your truck will run with the after market exhaust, and air intake systems, chips, you need to find a real diesel man, not the local dealer mechanic . If you put the before mentioned after market parts in your truck, what did you do to help your tranny? With all these options to make you go faster, sooner, have more torque, and more towing power, we forgot about our tranny, that bears the brunt of all this. You may want to upgrade the old tranny.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My Ford has the boost and tranny temp gauges right on the dash with the tach. But I had to add the pyrometer, which I think should also be standard equipment. Oil temp and fuel pressure would be nice but I think those others are the ones I wouldn't be without.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote