Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
water beneath RV

New one for us: yesterday our neighbors here in Fort Myers told me there was water beneath the front of our rig. It appears that somehow, water has collected above the coverings that conceal the belly of the rig. It's dripping down. I was able to push a little on the coverings and force some of the water out. I'm not sure if what has caused the problem is ongoing or if it was a single incident? I'm wondering, has anyone had this mishap? Also, is there an overflow valve? In the past, it seems to us that when grey water got full, it came back up the sinks. We've never seen water leakage before. Thinking we'll have to contact a service company.

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
A few months ago, we had leakage from our plumbing for our washer/dryer when I forgot to open the grey water tank valve and it poured from our hitch pin area during a wash cycle. The area underneath the basement and in the front closet where the w/d sits was also wet. Dried it out and now we both ask if valve is open and we have no more problem. If you have a w/d, you might check around it.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Captbanjo,

It sounds as if you have either a tank leak..... probably not since it is in the front..... or a leak in a water line or valve. It sounds as if it may be in the vicinity of the bathroom so it might be water leaking around the edge of the tub. Do you have water in the basement?

Our leak was in the actual shower valve. We replaced with a new one and have not had the problem since.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck,

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I would say you have what we call a leak in your black or gray tank.
A lotof tanks have been replaced.
What little water you got out by pushing up on the panel is just a little bit of it, wait till you unscrew the panels.
Wear old cloths or a bathing suit!!!!
Good luck
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
We had the same leak coming from underneath. I knew it was the grey tank because it only happened when we took showers. There was no water in the basement so I suspected a tank. We had to get some other repairs so I asked him to take a look at it and I was right. There was a crack in the grey tank that under pressure of a filling tank must have opened up further. They got a tank the same day and replaced it in 8 hrs. The tank cost about $225 and 8 hrs of labor. The tank has to be modified as it does not have the inlet pipe or opening in it and the sensors have to be installed. We had it fixed right in Elkhart Ind on the way home so I figured parts would be easier to obtain.
Hope that helps. Basically, its about a $1000-1300 job. They had to do a lot of "plumbing" to make fits underneath and after watching them I am glad I didn't try it myself. Know your own limitations.
danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
I found it...
Here is the information for the vendor of the holding tanks. They can provide all the information you need to know about the tanks...They are very nice folks.

Travel Star Products 574-533-0447 they are in Goshen,ind very near the Service center.
danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had the same thing on our 2003 3295RK and it was a leak in the gray shower tank. But as HamRad said, it could be the shower or even the vanity faucet plumbing. You can probably drop one of the belly panels enough to get a good look inside to see if you can tell where it's coming from.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:08 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493

Sounds like a grey tank leak to me. I had the same problem and it drips at the front.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We have had two leaks, one that was coming from our commode and the other one from the panel behind the convenience center. The commode leak fixed its self so far, but hubby had to pull off the white panel in the basement and tighten all of the nuts on the water pipes. Apparently some had come lose over time.

On a happier note, just wondering if you have found Pinchers Crab Shack in Fort Myers or Naples? My brother owns those restaurants....and I must brag that they have wonderful food.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I have the same thoughts as others, first drop a lower panel to see if it's just a plumbing leak. You could save some money you just might need to tighten a pipe nut?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Thanks for all the info folks. Latest is that the leak SEEMED to have stopped. I used the toilet, sinks and showers a lot with no problem. Then, for no apparent reason, a very slow leak started. Just a drip every minute or so. I had called a repair shop and the guy there told me to cut a small hole in the coraplastic (?) at the lowest point of the bottom covers. I did that and it drained the water out. So there's some kind of leak. Hoping to make it home and have a look at it rather than pay a repairman a fortune here.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote