Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Undercarraige and Corrosion

When we were shopping Montanas, we fairly quickly narrowed our choice down to a 3075RL. We found one at a dealer in Oklahoma. But looking at it, the undercarraige was severly rusted, front to back and side to side. I am not talking a little rust, but major corrosion that looked like could be a big problem in a couple years. When I mentioned it to the salesman, he said it had come down from the north in the winter and the road salt had caused that. He said they would clean it all up and repaint it before I bought it. But I declined to buy that unit.
Found another at another dealer, and the undercarraige was spotless. I live in TX and will not be towing north in the winter.
My question is, have you had a problem with the undercarraige rusting on any Montana models? And have you done anything to prevent it or correct it?

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I think you made a wise choice not taking the 3075RL. I really don't think the rust and corrosion was caused by the salt on the roads up here in Ohio.
I would suspect that the unit was used at a permanent site more than by salt. At a permanent site, the bottom is usually enclosed and never has a chance to be cleaned( like towing in the rain).
Here at our dealership.they watch for the trades very close for just that condition. The inside can be spotless, but you have to look at the undercarrage and also the roof.
On our last trip to the great northwest we lost the injectors in our truck. This caused the crankcase to fill with diesel fuel and forced the oil out the breather tube. Yep, you guessed it, the undercarrage of our 3280 will never rust!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Another thing that could have caused it is if they took it to Alaska and didn't clean it well. They put calcium chloride down to help settle the dust.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Agree with Steve .E We have no sign of rust on our 15 month old 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Just to clarify. Both units, the one that was rusted and the one that I bought, were new.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Welded seams, parts of frame, some hangers and others all had rust from new. I've gone through and painted anywhere that the factory had missed, which was a lot. They really aren't very thorough. Guess it's not surprising though.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote