Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
One thing I really miss...

...our motorhome had a outside light by the entry door with a switch.
It was great for lighting the steps and entry as a person could hit that switch either going in or out.
As a replacement, I just purchased a remote control camping light to see how that works.
Has anyone else done anything for this?

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I made the suggestion to Keystone during the factory tour to make this a standard feature of the Montana. They did it on the Cambridge, why not bring it to the Montana? Guess I will just have to wait and see....

To answer your question, I have Malibu path way lights that I keep under my rig when set up for the summer. They come on at dusk and go off and dawn. These are the ones that have to be plugged in, depending on the rules of your park you may not be able to use them. Just an idea....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
What I put on my steps to light them up a bit and make it a little safer in the dark is a product called "Sure Step"Its a light bar thats powered by 6 aa batteries.It has a motion senser that when coming in or going out this tight bar lights up.You can buy the light bar seperate or get one that comes with a step that fits over your factory step.The batteries will last at LEAST a full camping season.When installed it gives your step a little more footage also.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I was just looking at those. They look a little pricey as we have three steps, but I really like the idea of it running off motion.
Do you like the way it works?
Old 10-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I bought an outside porch light with a switch and mounted it above the top step. Wiring was easy. I do agree it should be standard and not wired with the topside outside porch light. We leave it on all the time when we are staying in the trailer. Picture to follow.
Cheers
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I may have found a product that will do the job. No idea what it costs yet, but they come 5 sections to a pack in various lengths.
Would these pull a charge under the awning?

http://mercerproducts.com/flooring/li_safetyglow.asp

Old 10-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Bah...not formulated for outdoor use...
I thought I was onto something here.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
http://www.amerimark.com/cgi-bin/ame...02097&days=XVQ

This one is ok for outdoor use and is inexpensive too...
Old 10-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozzie, I just wired two clearance lights under the steps, and a regular license plate light inside my Monte on the top step. This way, it lights all steps and the Amber clearance lights under the steps are indirect, they bother no one.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:53 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I'd like to take what you did Ozz and install a motion sensor like was mentioned earlier. That sounds like a really slick idea.
I love things that work automagically...
Old 10-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

I was just looking at those. They look a little pricey as we have three steps, but I really like the idea of it running off motion.
Do you like the way it works?
Ozz

I like them alot.i also have 3 steps.I have one mounted on the top step and the bottom step.Couldn`t install on the middle step because the steps wouldn`t fold up all the way while traveling.Your right pricey for sure.But I do like them and it gives off just enough light.Not to bright and not to dull.I bought some rechargable double A batteries at harbor frieght.To cut down on the expence of replacing every season.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote