Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also use the Rickfox method for hitching.

I've tried the string and other methods with not a great amount of success. It works on a hard surface but is less precise on gravel. My Dad came up with a unique method about 10 years ago and we've had great success with this. It's a simple bubble level mounted in the basement area. It's on an arm with a thumbscrew to tighten it down. When we've raised the Montana to where I'm ready to pull out from under, Vicki loosens the thumbscrew, centers the bubble, tightens the thumbscrew, then levels the rig. When ready to hitch up, I raise/lower the rig until that bubble is again centered and I am able to hitch up first try every time. Works great.

Dave (M.S.) do you have any problem with wd-40 collecting dirt and maybe grinding on the metal?

This one is old and ugly but it works...

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
So far I have not had any trouble with the WD40 on the hitch plate. Now the grease used on the way cams of the Superglide is another story. I have had the hitch in the bed of my truck now for over a month and that grease is amazing at catching every little leaf, feather, dirt and pebble that is on the road. I need to get out there and wipe it off and apply another "light" coating as the coach will not be moved for awhile. The directions from Pullrite is where I read about applying WD40 on the hitch plate and around the kingpin to help slide things together smoothly.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #23
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Each time, before I hook up, I clean the table and rails with WD-40. After wiping everything down, I spray a good amount of WD-40 on the table and on the pin/extender on the RV. Then I apply the spray grease to the rails. Mine also collects dirt/trash/junk/etc on the rails.

I tried to search for the spray graphite threads that were posted some time back but could not get a hit. Do any of you remember the threads and what I should search for? I am interested in using the graphite instead of grease on the rails.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #24
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

I tried to search for the spray graphite threads that were posted some time back but could not get a hit. Do any of you remember the threads and what I should search for? I am interested in using the graphite instead of grease on the rails.
lasater,

I just switched over. It's called Slip Plate.

http://www.superiorgraphite.com/prod...php?id_ctg=119

I called Pullrite and ordered 2 cans for $23. What a difference.
No more grease!

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ken,
Thank you for the reminder. I wanted to purchase the Slip Plate for my Superglide, but had forgotten all about it. Looks like I will need to call PullRite in the morning and order.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #26
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
When we hook up, I always have the trailer to the point where the king pin has to slide up the hitch. When I am in place, Karen raises the trailer about an inch to where the pin slides up the plate and locks. Then we raise the legs to where there is no weight on them and do a pull test to make sure we are firmly hitched. Found out the hard way that the legs of the Monty are a heck of a lot cheaper to replace than the bed of my truck, and I have the dent to remind me!

I also physically check the pull rod to make sure it has closed and do a visual inspection to ensure that the pin has seated properly. Then we raise the legs all the way and are ready to go.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote