Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Alf33
Established Member

M.O.C. #21780
Roof Repair Cheap. DONT LAUGH

Hello we just bought the used 2004 Montana 3295RK it is in great condition except for a roof rip in the skin.The newcomers section suggested I post here to see if anyone has ideas As I posted it took all we had to secure our dream Montana so there is not much left.we are retired an 65 Any creative ideas to repair this roof other than replace it will be appreciated
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80172.40.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1646  

Alf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You have to glue down the various pieces with a good adhesive and then use the self leveling sealant to cover the joints where the rubber roof material was torn. If the rubber membrane is no longer stuck to the roof anywhere, then make a long cut front to back and use the adhesive to re-bond it, then when dry use the self leveling to seal that new joint. By looking at the picture it needs a new roof, but I also understand that there is no money to do that. At this point "pretty" is not a concern, but sealing against water intrusion is. Maybe the MOC community can look into how we fellow montana owners could "CROWD FUND" you a new roof on this forum site. A few dollars from a lot of the members could get you that new roof! John
Old 05-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My biggest wonder would be just to what extent water intrusion has already set in and "if" that issue needed to be addressed before sealing it up.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
There is a bubble on the side of the AC. issue could be roof not sealed well at AC unit and that needs to be fixed also. Job is getting bigger and bigger.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
lmf580
Established Member

M.O.C. #20058
I have used the EPDM patching material. It is real sticky and works real well. But as others have said, repair the under lying damage first. After you put the repair tape over the roof material, you will have to deal all the seams with the self leveling sealer.
Hope this helps
lmf580
lmf580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Alf33
Established Member

M.O.C. #21780
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
You have to glue down the various pieces with a good adhesive and then use the self leveling sealant to cover the joints where the rubber roof material was torn. If the rubber membrane is no longer stuck to the roof anywhere, then make a long cut front to back and use the adhesive to re-bond it, then when dry use the self leveling to seal that new joint. By looking at the picture it needs a new roof, but I also understand that there is no money to do that. At this point "pretty" is not a concern, but sealing against water intrusion is. Maybe the MOC community can look into how we fellow montana owners could "CROWD FUND" you a new roof on this forum site. A few dollars from a lot of the members could get you that new roof! John
John, Thanks a lot for your advice
, Yes replacing it is not an option, we just don't have the funds,So I need to fix it myself..The good thing is It is an Arizona Montana..There is no water or Moisture damage under the Skin..I was thinking along the same lines as you, Glue it down then use that self leveling foam, I don't understand the part where you say Cut it back and glue a Second Part Down,, ?? Maybe I misunderstood..Can you re explain?? Thanks
Ed
Old 05-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
By a gallon of Liquid Roof after trying to re-attach the old roofing. I used Liquid Roof on an old Aljo 5th wheel and it looked like new and sealed everything up.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If this was my camper I would measure the place that needs to be replaced and add about 6 inches then get a piece of aluminum about .03 thick. Predrill holes around it 1 inch from the edge and 4 inches apart. Seal under it and screw it down with no. 8 screws then seal on top with the self leveling sealer. Just be sure you get into the good plywood on the roof. If the plywood under is bad it wont really matter. If it is really bad you could replace some of it. It’s a cheap fix and will work no question.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
Alf33
Established Member

M.O.C. #21780
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
My biggest wonder would be just to what extent water intrusion has already set in and "if" that issue needed to be addressed before sealing it up.

Thanks.. It is an Arizona RV It is dry underneath No signs of any leaks Inside at all..The Montana is very clean, this was the Only real Problem
To have bought a perfect one,Well then our future as retired o;d people would have been gloom and doom sitting at home lol
Old 05-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
Alf33
Established Member

M.O.C. #21780
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
There is a bubble on the side of the AC. issue could be roof not sealed well at AC unit and that needs to be fixed also. Job is getting bigger and bigger.

I cant see the bubble in the picture , but I am sure you are correct Yes
I agree to replace the roof is the way to go, but that is just not an OPtion for us. Thanks its either I fix it or.....
Old 05-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
Alf33
Established Member

M.O.C. #21780
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmf580 View Post
I have used the EPDM patching material. It is real sticky and works real well. But as others have said, repair the under lying damage first. After you put the repair tape over the roof material, you will have to deal all the seams with the self leveling sealer.
Hope this helps
lmf580
Yes it is like Bearer Bond or the Flex Tape you see on TV..Thats what I was thinking also Glue it Down after cleaning it real good.. Tape it then go Over it with that self Leveling Foam stuff lol, Do you mean roll the edges of the tape? Od COAT the Whole area with that Foam
??
Old 05-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #12
Alf33
Established Member

M.O.C. #21780
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
By a gallon of Liquid Roof after trying to re-attach the old roofing. I used Liquid Roof on an old Aljo 5th wheel and it looked like new and sealed everything up.
Is Liquid Roof the self Leveling sealer people have been saying to use Or is that something Different??

Where can I get this stuff for a decent price Home depot Lowes? Hopefully
not the local RV supplier?? lo I am sure it is expensive Yes??
Old 05-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
Alf33
Established Member

M.O.C. #21780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If this was my camper I would measure the place that needs to be replaced and add about 6 inches then get a piece of aluminum about .03 thick. Predrill holes around it 1 inch from the edge and 4 inches apart. Seal under it and screw it down with no. 8 screws then seal on top with the self leveling sealer. Just be sure you get into the good plywood on the roof. If the plywood under is bad it wont really matter. If it is really bad you could replace some of it. It’s a cheap fix and will work no question.
Lynwood
Ok so what you are saying is Go over the rips with the Aluminum then seal over that? Would you still do that If there is No Damage,,To the Plywood?
Thanks ED
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf33 View Post
Ok so what you are saying is Go over the rips with the Aluminum then seal over that? Would you still do that If there is No Damage,,To the Plywood?
Thanks ED
Yes this will be a permanent fix. Putting tape or the roof membrane is betting the adhesive will hold. This way the wood screws is what is holding. This will be good as new. This is the way I would fix my camper and never worry about it.
Lynwood
Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #15
Alf33
Established Member

M.O.C. #21780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Yes this will be a permanent fix. Putting tape or the roof membrane is betting the adhesive will hold. This way the wood screws is what is holding. This will be good as new. This is the way I would fix my camper and never worry about it.
Lynwood
Any Idea where I could get the Aluminum???
Old 05-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #16
donhov
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14649
Guess I would suggest a different way. Get a piece of roof membrane slightly larger than the damaged area. You will have to remove the ac unit for properfit and to deal with teh bubble on the left side also. Cut out the damaged area and fit the new membrane abd cut to size overlapping at least 6" or so. Get proper glue to mount the new material including over the clean cut edge remaining. Then use some Dicor self leveling sealer to seal the edges. Remound the AC unit and all should be good to go. I believe this would be a more permanant repair rather than a patch and should last the remaining life of the roof. Just be sure you get material compatable with your existing roof and use the proper glue and sealants for your roof material.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:03 AM   #17
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
gona cost you some time.
remove the whole "skin" off the roof.
check for damage and fix as needed.
then cover with rino bed lining. yes sold in white and a tan.
never will leak. and many times stronger than a rubber roof.
pluse it seals up on every item sticking out your roof
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:34 AM   #18
bowlesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18569
Just to be sure, you need to pull that A/C unit up and out of the way first to ensure proper attachment and sealing of the repair. Then ensure when reinstalling the A/C that that the foam rubber roof seal seals properly over any raised seams of the repaired area.

JMTCW

John - 3820FK
bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #19
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
My comment regarding if the whole rubber membrane was loose and no longer bonded to the plywood, that you would have to cut in the center of the roof, from the front of the montana to the back of the montana in order to glue it back dow. The self leveling chaulk we talk about here is sold in tubes that fit a caulking gun. It is 9 bucks plus a tube and you will need several. Etrailer.Com may have it, amazon should have it, camping world and LaMesa rv have it. If it only that bit by the ac, then things are more manageable. You will have to take the four lag bolts that hold the ac out and tilt the ac on one side so that you can glue down the membrane under the ac where it should be, then tilt the other way to do the other side. Rhino coating the plywood after throwing away the rubber membrane could be a solution, but I have no idea what the cost is for that stuff. Your saving grace is that it is an Arizona rv and dust under the membrane is more of an issue than water. Anyway...a very fun project that makes me wish I was in the southwest this summer to help you.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf33 View Post
Any Idea where I could get the Aluminum???
Go to a local machine shop. One that uses thin sheet material if you can’t find one any machine Machine shop should be able to direct you to a shop that will be able to help. Machine shops are a fairly small group that know each other and who does does what kind of work. They should be able to at least cut the material to size and probably cut the hole for the AC unit in it. If they can’t I’ll do that for you. UPS travels both ways from me to you.
Lynwood