Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Surge protection talk

I am posting this information to give us options, and also because when someone mentions "surge protection" for our RV's, the only thing that comes to mind for many, is the $400.00 devices that do many things, under-over, surge, all kinds of voltage monitoring and protection.
I will address the $100.00 devices that protect our Rv's when there is a 'Spike' or over-voltage caused by lightning, power distribution 'glitches' and so on.
These devices are easily installed by qualified personnel, and also by many handy-people. It is not hard, and many can do it. Many should not do it as well.. so don't try unless you know your way around electrical a little. And have all power coming into the panel shut off, when you do.
I will post links describing what they are, how they work and prices.
I have one on the Montana's incoming power, also at my home on the main panel. I have had to replace both, because they gave up their little lives for me.. sniff sniff...
I suggest you get them.

Links for info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector

http://www.tech-faq.com/whole-house-...protector.html

http://reviewsurgeprotector.com/inte...rotectors.html

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-IG1.../dp/B003NVLWN2

Surge protector Montana

Surge protector home

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Ozz this the power booster We have in our Montana. Would you give me your opinion on it. We have used it for 2 yrs. with no problems.
http://www.rvperformanceproducts.com/voltagecontrol.htm
and hear is a discussion form on it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/power...ter-36629.html
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think it is a step-up transformer, I am no expert on it, but that seems to be the gist of it, the device has a surge protector built into it. I think it is nice to have.
I will read the Forum now.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I run the Park power into my transfer switch, so the contactor has to engage for me to get power, most have the secondary power wired this way, and have the Park power come in without the contactor being powered. I did this because if I have low voltage, it won't even close the contacts on my transfer switch, protecting my RV.
I always test it before plugging in with a meter anyway.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Does this protect your RV for both 30 amp and 50 amp with the surge protector you have shown? Thanks for all your information.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Bill,
Yes, the two lights indicate that 2 of the incoming legs of power are being protected. If you are on 30 amps, only one light will illuminate, showing that that leg is being protected.
The way it is wired, one of the devices' wires is under the set-screw of each of the incoming power wires.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ozz,
It may be beneficial for the newer members to understand the difference between the surge protection on an auto-transformer (lower joule rating) and a surge-guard type device. In addition, the EMS system mentioned provides more types of protection (in particular low and high voltage condition disconnects which protect vulnerable equipment). It is best to do research or ask questions if you are considering any of the above. They all perform different functions. Kinda like different strokes for different folks. My understanding on all of these systems regarding voltage spikes is they are sacrificial as Ozz mentioned.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The other systems were getting all the 'ink', as I stated I want people to know there is a lower cost option for surge protection (only) but I'm glad you added to the topic with clarification.
I don't want people to go without at least surge protection (at around $100-120) because many think they have to spring for the $400 units, therefore would pass on any type of electrical protection devices.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Ozz ... the just of this post worked with me when you first posted using the Intermatic surge protector a year or so ago. I wanted surge protection, but wasn't intersted in all the extras nor the price of the $400 "RV" surge protectors. I installed the Intermatic and have been satisfied with what it provides. I'm not berating the $400 ones ... just wasn't what fit my needs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
dieselguy, thank you. That is indeed my reasoning.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree strongly with what Ozz restated. Any surge protection or monitoring system is better than having nothing and being at the mercy of the campground feed. Unforeseen voltage spikes can and have caused hundreds and thousands of dollars in damage. Based on my experience, the older campgrounds are the ones that are at risk of having faulty power feeds. It is a choice each rig owner should make after assessing their needs.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote