Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Fantastic Customer Service

Our new Montana Legacy has the new "In Command" computer control system. The dealer (Tiara) claimed they never saw one before and couldn't offer much help in how it worked. Tiara was able to give us the name of the manufacturer, ASA Electronics. Google told us they were nearby, so on a whim we drove to find them, arriving at the front desk at 4:55pm (quitting time is 5). We explained our situation to the receptionist. Within two minutes Aaron Budzinski and Vince Smith came down. They gave us a few pointers on the system, then suggested that we bring the rig to them for a more complete lesson. The following day we had an appointment for solar installation, so I said I would call as soon as that was finished there. They said they would be available any day on an hours notice.

After the solar work, we returned to ASA with the rig. Aaron and Vince gave us a thorough walk through of the "In Command" system including linking both of our smart phones to the system. During the walk through it appeared that there was an issue with the on board generator. Aaron and Vince determined that the "In Command" system was not the source of the generator issue and suggested that there might be a conflict with the solar interlock. ASA could have said right there that it wasn't their problem, but they didn't. At my request they talked with the solar installer, Brian Burkholder, owner of Solar Energy Systems (Brian gave the seminar at the MOC Rally). The issue couldn't be resolved over the phone, so Brian said he would come right over (he had an hour drive) to figure it out in person. The issue was easily resolved by teaching us a couple do's and don'ts between the "In Command" and the solar systems.

Bottom line of this lengthy post is that Aaron, Vince and Brian now understand more of each system so that they can educate future customers and we have been helped and educated by three folks who when above and beyond to make a customer happy. Thank you Aaron, Vince and Brian. Incidentally, Vince is the inventor/developer of the "In Command" system.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:11 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad to hear you had a good experience. We had a positive experience with ASA on our old Voyager camera and really like the solar presentation. Did you go with Brian's lithium ion batteries? Thinking about that upgrade next year. Good luck with your new unit.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Sounds like the future with this system is going to be a lot better with these folks directly involved. Someone should make a video presentation on the system so that there is a real source of knowledge to educate new owners. Maybe vince is already doing this. John
Old 11-21-2015, 05:33 AM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Ron - Yes, we went with the lithium ion batteries and also with an interlock that starts the generator if the solar can't keep up with the demand and shuts it down when the batteries are charged. As info, the resolution to our supposed conflict was that if you start the generator with the "In Command" switch, you must stop it with the same switch. If it starts with the solar interlock it must stop with the solar interlock. Otherwise you get a fault.

John - Work is in progress for an instructional video that will be placed on the ASA website.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good to know. Great customer service will sell more products.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Don, how many AH of battery did you go with? We have (4) 6v's at 220 AH each which gives us 440 AH at 12v. The ability to use half means I could replace mine with a 220 AH lithium 12v. Curious about cost.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Ron, I told Brian what I wanted to run. He chose the battery that best suited those needs. Here is the description of the battery that was on the invoice: CLASSIS 200. 200MAX VOC. Max current out: 79 amps. 12-72V battery bank. Cost was $685 plus tax.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Customer service will always go a long way. Not to start a war here,but maybe keystone will pick up a little of that.I know some have had good luck,but others would argue different.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:32 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Personally, our only dealings with Keystone CS has been at the MOC National Rally's. We couldn't ask for a better group of people to deal with. On a couple other occasions we've had questions that they have been very helpful in finding an answer. We've read the nightmares with them that other's have posted on the Forum. It's almost like there are two different CS organizations within Keystone.