Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #21
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Alot of the older dmax's had a little ball check valve in the fuel system that was held closed by a spring. It was for overpressure if I remember correctly, anyhow the spring weakened over time and mileage. The simple fix was to remove the check valve and put a plug in place as the system rarely if ever was in an overpressure situation. The symptoms were exactly like you indicated, truck goes into limp mode when under heavy load in the heat. Stop for 20 minutes or half hour and it would reset itself and away you could go.... sometimes shops would misdiagnose and want thousands to replace the entire system including the fuel rails when not necessary. I had over 500,000 on a 2006 and it did it only once on a very hot day in the mountains. Never again but I put a plug in it eventually just so I felt confident in the mountains.

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #22
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I had a 2011 chevy 3500. This was the first year of the new lml. There are many issues with the DEF system. Traded it in on a 2014. Even that has had some DEF issues but has been fine for some time now
Had not heard of any DEF issues with any of the major three. Curious about the issues you experienced?
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have a 2012 Duramax. I had NOX sensors fail (marginally) and another dEF item. I was at around 60,000 miles. Dealer said all the 2011 had issues and Chevy changed type of equipment for 2012. Even tho I had 2012, the parts were 2011!!!
Long story short, I think they extended the warranty on these parts to 100,000 or so, but I am not sure of time limit. Make sure you ask them and maybe argue a bit if they don't want to pay up.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #24
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
I had a brand new 2013 2500 HD GMC with the gas 6.0... worst mistake I ever made. I test drove it, felt ok for power, babied it first 1000 miles then hooked up 22' ski boat, headed for lake, thought I was going to blow engine pulling hills on way to lake. All power is at the high RPM, always shifting, always sounds like it was going to blow pulling hills. Traded it with 4000 miles on it... absolutely hated it. Others talk about how much they like it. I traded for a Ford F150 6 cyl Eco Boost Max Tow... would tow circles around the GMC. I pulled a 26 foot camper with a 18' bass-boat behind it all over mountains in Tennessee and never missed a lick. All power made at 2800 RPM's, could not be beat.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #25
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Something I forgot to mention because it was so uneventful to repair.

I had the same symptoms with the truck going into limp mode and then I would clear the code so it would go for some times days before it happened.

I contacted a fellow near me that does Durmax modifications and he just said replace the OEM air filter with an aftermarket one that is one piece a doesn’t use the gasket arrangement that the OEM one does.

Corrected the problem it has been several years now sense.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_banning View Post
I had a brand new 2013 2500 HD GMC with the gas 6.0... worst mistake I ever made. I test drove it, felt ok for power, babied it first 1000 miles then hooked up 22' ski boat, headed for lake, thought I was going to blow engine pulling hills on way to lake. All power is at the high RPM, always shifting, always sounds like it was going to blow pulling hills. Traded it with 4000 miles on it... absolutely hated it. Others talk about how much they like it. I traded for a Ford F150 6 cyl Eco Boost Max Tow... would tow circles around the GMC. I pulled a 26 foot camper with a 18' bass-boat behind it all over mountains in Tennessee and never missed a lick. All power made at 2800 RPM's, could not be beat.
I totally agree the Ecoboost engines are awesome. I have a 2015 2.7 that will, according to Car and Driver out run the 67 GTO I had back in the day. It gets almost 21 MPG, hand calculated. If Ford ever built larger BE Super Duty. I'd be first in line to get one. Say about a 6 L. If the power per liter remained the same it would produce over 800 foot pounds and over 700 HP with over 90% at 2000
RPMs all the way up to over 5000 RPMs. Ford is not going to build one because after driving the EB no one would buy a Diesel.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #27
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
First, I want to make it clear, I am still very happy with my Chevy Duramax. We have over 166,000 miles on it at a little over five years old, but we fulltime, and at the mileage, maybe 1/3 of those miles are pulling our Montana. We lost a fuel injector at around 85K, replaced under warranty. Earlier this year we had a glow plug replaced. Several months ago while in N Calif, had the CEL come on. along with a message that the DEF system needed service, along with a count down from 100 miles that the system would be restricting speed to 65 mph if the system wasn't fixed. Ended up being a high resistance in the DEF tank heater, so the tank had to be replaced. Then, a couple months ago, when having the truck serviced, was told the vane system on the turbo was acting up, was sluggish. We were east of Salt Lake City, and started having overheating issue, losing coolant. Nursed it into Evanston, WY. The Chevy dealer there replaced a coolant pipe/hose going to the EGR valve. Made it to Rapid City, SD OK. The morning we were getting ready to leave, the truck went into limp mode, just trying to hook up. Nursed it to the Chevy dealer there. Turned out to be the turbo, which they replaced. And, finally the last issue, probably related to the turbo replacement, was a couple other coolant hoses that had to be replaced. Other than all that, the truck still runs like new and I still wouldn't trade it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	701   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	702  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #28
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I have a '07.5 with 73k on it. Yes the mileage is low for a 10 year old truck, but having a truck sitting around a lot is not a good thing, either. As for maintenance, I do everything I am capable of and leave the rest to the Chevy/GMC dealer. I don't have a local garage that I feel comfortable leaving the truck with. I have replaced 4 glow plugs in 10 years and done routine maintenance. This has been a solid truck for me and after looking at the price of replacement recently, I will continue to do the best I can to keep this truck on the road. 2nd Duramax for me and no complaints. I'm sure your issues will get straightened out and you will quickly give up the notion of towing heavy with a gas motor. Ewwww.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #29
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
An 07 with 73K!!!!??? In December my F350 will be 1 year old. Currently nearly 42K!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:50 AM   #30
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
CaptnJohn

I am amazed as well normally a diesel that sits like that will give you all kinds of problems.

Ours is a 2009 just rolled up 200,000 miles and has been doing quite well.

I was talking to a fellow about buying an old Jeep from him and he works for a company the modifies diesel pickup trucks. When he found out I had this truck with that mileage on it without some of the common problems he made the stamen I must be doing a lot of towing and that would keep the EPA units cleaned out.

Phil P
Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #31
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

Something I forgot to mention because it was so uneventful to repair.

I had the same symptoms with the truck going into limp mode and then I would clear the code so it would go for some times days before it happened.

I contacted a fellow near me that does Durmax modifications and he just said replace the OEM air filter with an aftermarket one that is one piece a doesn’t use the gasket arrangement that the OEM one does.

Corrected the problem it has been several years now sense.

Phil P
I had forgotten until I read Phil's suggestion; Early on in my maintenance of my Dmax, I used a WIX fuel filter because I could buy them so much cheaper than AC Delco. When towing up a grade (Zilwaukee Bridge), my SES lamp and reduced engine power lamp came on. I cleared the code to continue on, but when I got home I changed the filter back to an AC Delco and have never had a low fuel pressure issue since. Now before anyone jumps out there defending a WIX filter-I know them to be a quality product. Sold them and used them for years. I just wont use them for a fuel filter on my Dmax.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #32
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Iretired06, Go to the diesel place and look up 2011 lml issues. There are many. My 2011 had multiple nox sensors replaced. Left me in limp mode on vacation and had to tow at 55mph max and could not turn the truck off or it would limp me to 4mph ? if I did.

My 2014 truck just had the entire DEF tank assembly replaced for some kind of def heater code.

Just got back from a 2000+ mile trip and it functioned perfectly.

You should have gotten several (special warranty) notices from GM that state most of the DEF system is now warrantied for 120 miles or 10 years from date of original service.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
I had forgotten until I read Phil's suggestion; Early on in my maintenance of my Dmax, I used a WIX fuel filter because I could buy them so much cheaper than AC Delco. When towing up a grade (Zilwaukee Bridge), my SES lamp and reduced engine power lamp came on. I cleared the code to continue on, but when I got home I changed the filter back to an AC Delco and have never had a low fuel pressure issue since. Now before anyone jumps out there defending a WIX filter-I know them to be a quality product. Sold them and used them for years. I just wont use them for a fuel filter on my Dmax.
I have heard of several people who have had problems with aftermarket filters. For a very few bucks more for the OEM why take the chance with a $20,000 Diesel engine? Not me.
Lynwood
Old 10-19-2017, 06:22 AM   #34
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm300 View Post
I had two Glow Plugs go out on my 2008. Easy fix. How many miles do you have on it. I traded mine at ~144,000.
Sorry I missed your post. I have 55084 miles on truck. I have another vehicle I drive when not pulling. I do drive it every couple of weeks if it hasn't been driven. I don't believe sitting hurts them now a lot of idling will. Especially if it has the DPF filter.
The only fuel filter I will use is Racor PFF 50216. Racor use to make the AC TP3012. Now that the AC is TP3018 not sure who supplies them but look into the end of a TP3018 and you can see through them. Not saying that makes them bad but the TP3012 wasn't that way.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #35
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We just bought a 2017 Duramax/Allison 2500 (Our third or fourth -- I lose count). We have 80,000 miles towing on our present TRAILER (not truck) and 50,000 on our previous trailer. All towed by Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 2500 trucks, over almost every Mountain Pass in the West. Sure, we have had a few problems, but I still consider this to be an ideal towing vehicle.

On the 2017 we have made only a couple of trips: a 5000 mile round trip to Banff, Canada (from East Texas) and a 1500 mile trip up to Western Kentucky to see the eclipse.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:18 AM   #36
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I just had a conversation with a company that removes the DEF and other EPA equipment from the light truck diesels.

Then after this I talked to a GM technician about a statement made by this fellow about the particulate filter on our 2009 Silverado.

I have never had the particulate filter on our truck regenerate.

According to the GM technician our truck probably has not ever regenerated because 50% of our use is towing the Montana and we never let the truck idle for extended periods of time.

The technician said the diesel engine only burns 80% of the fuel injected while at idle the rest goes out the exhaust or down around the rings causing excessive wear. The on top of that the exhaust system will not be up to the temperatures it is designed to operate at while the truck idles. He went on to say the exhaust gas recirculation system is dumping exhaust gas into the engine during this idle period as well and causes even more problems.

He is talking about extended periods of idle time like you see some drivers leaving their diesel truck idle while they go in to a store or office building.

I had gotten the idea of not letting diesels idle long periods of time from driving big trucks they have a switch on the dash board that increases the idle speed when you intend to levee the engine run unattended. There must be a good reason for this.

Phil P
Old 10-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #37
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Just let it idle to cool after heavy or long use to avoid the dreaded coke
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #38
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I have to tell you I have a 2013 ram 3500 drw aisin with 30000 lbs towing and with all the recalls and 4 wheel drive problems I'm looking at going back to GM. the Cummins is great, I would like GM to offer it in there trucks then you have the best of both worlds
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a 2008 Ford that never goes into regen. The DPF is laying in my tractor shed and 600 HP isn't bad either. A much better truck and more fun to.
Lynwood
Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #40
grumpylane
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20516
crazy to think they have to remove the body to work on turbo. but ford is the same way on the new ones.
grumpylane is offline   Reply With Quote