Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Water heater

Picked my 2955RL up yesterday, and want to make sure I understand how to use the gas/electric water heater. If I want it on gas, I turn the switch in the kitchen to the "on" position. If I want to run on electicity, I leave the kitchen switch on off, and turn the switch on the outside in the water heater compartment to "on".

2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2002dura

Picked my 2955RL up yesterday, and want to make sure I understand how to use the gas/electric water heater. If I want it on gas, I turn the switch in the kitchen to the "on" position. If I want to run on electicity, I leave the kitchen switch on off, and turn the switch on the outside in the water heater compartment to "on".
Right! (There may be a safety clip in the outside switch that you will have to pull out. It is there to prevent anyone accidently putting the power on when the tank is empty). Also, if you want to, you can run both gas and electric at the same time to get quick heat recovery. You should also see a tiny red LED by the gas switch that will only come on while the gas ignitor is operating - should be only on for a few seconds.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ditto what OntMont said. Congratulations on your aquisition!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
2002dura,
On our rig... a 3295RK.... our electrical breaker box is very accessible so we just use the breaker in there to control the electric part of the Hot Water Heater. Beats having to go outside to switch it. And on the gas switch back on the control panel our light stays on all the time if we have the gas on.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:31 AM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Congrats on your new rig. I'll bet your pretty excited.

We run the hot water on elect. but when taking a shower we turn on the gas as mentioned for quick recovery. (longer shower). We sometimes will put it on gas when we first arrive at our destination if we need hot water right away. The only time we turn off the Elect. switch is when we are at home and our rig is in storage. Then it's back on again at the first stop and for the duration of our trip.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 05:32 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If there is no electric charge or if the electric is charged at a flat rate we turn off the gas.
If we are charged for actual usage via a meter, off goes the electric on comes the gas.
Since Oct 18th, 03 we have only used 60# (2 tanks) of propane. I should mention that we do eat out a lot and therefore use very little gas for cooking and the heater thermostat is never set above 68.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 07:21 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
congrats. and merry Christmas
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We do as HamRad does, use the breaker. Just don't forget you still have to have the electric switch on the heater turned on. We leave that on all the time, then use the breaker for on and off.

In warm weather we use electric only, then turn gas on for quicker recovery when the grandkids are staying with us and multiple showers in quick succession are needed. In cold weather we run propane only simply because on ours electrically heater water isn't hot enough by the time it gets to the shower. More loss of heat enroute to the shower during winter. Plus, in winter we run some electric heaters to supplement the furnace and the water heater electric element kicking on when all those things are running sometimes pops a breaker. Just less aggravating to use propane only in the winter. For us, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Dura, I am completely in agreement with Steve & Nina above. I have the 2955RL. Since we are 'travelers' and not 'full timers' we just leave the electric water heater ON unless we have some reason to turn it off. When we return home, we turn it off. Electricity is usually part of the campground fee, but we pay for our own propane, so it is a matter of economics to use the electric unless we need quicker or more lasting hot water.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:26 PM   #10
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Thanks for the replys. Since we plan on using campgrounds with hook-ups, I will use electric to heat the water. Sounds like leaving on the electric, and using propane to only "quick" heat, is the way to go. Thanks for the idea.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote