Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #21
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Just a quick note about dually's. First, they are fantastic tow vehicles. Absolutely the most stable in any conditions but they have their trad-offs. If you're a clean freak like me you can't go to a car wash. Hand wash only. If you live in a cold climate it's a pain. If you get the Aluminum wheels, you only get four, you cannot rotate your tires unless you remove the tires from the wheels. And as any Ford owner knows, the front tires wear on the inside edges. Hope this helps you make a decision. We have a dually but probably wouldn't buy another.

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:49 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DiananColin

How many opinions will you get? - as many as there are MOC members!

We tow a 2005 3400 with the Dodge Ram 1 ton single axle short bed quadcab laramie version automatic 4x4 Cummins turbo diesel" (Whew!). Just completed Ontario to Florida and back with absolutely no problems or concerns. We will not be fitting an exhaust brake as with the tow/haul mode we will get the same (or nearly the same) braking effect - key to my mind is think about steep downhill the same way as the truckers. Don't worry about the traffic behind you - they WILL get over it. I also read that there is a trucker mantra that says there are many hills you will go down too slowly but there is only one you will go down too fast! If we hauling over the rockies I might reconsider the exhaust brake but for the rest of North American Mountains and hills we will not bother. What we do intend is to install air bags on the truck - just to bring the TV absolutely in line (there is a minimal droop without bags) and probably on the fiver air bags on the hitch just to reduce the road bounce from concrete roads and bridges. Being an Accountant by trade I am naturally cautious but also appreciate value so we have the very best brake controller (prodigy) and hitch (pullrite superglide) installed.

For our money there was only one make (not necessarily thinking that Ford or GM couldn't do the job - just the local dealers were just not as knowledgeable about their product as we needed) but in general we believe you will be much better off with MORE truck than you think you need. Don't listen to those that would lead you to believe that the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks will do the job - you will regret it!
Hi DiananColin!

I'm glad to hear you had a good and safe trip. And that the new Dodge automatic has tow/haul with grade braking. I wasn't sure about that so appreciate hearing about it.

As for 3/4 ton trucks not being able to do it, well, our world is changing. For the better, which is good. The new '05 Ford 3/4 ton F250 actually is stronger than the '04 F350 and has higher ratings. How much more depends on which models you talk about. In our case, the F350 was an '03 supercab shortbed and the new one is an '05 F250 crewcab shortbed. Both have the 6.0PSD, torqshift transmission, 3.73 axle, for point of reference. Yet, the 3/4 ton has more tow rating, GCWR, and GVWR than the 1 ton did, to the tune of 2,000 lbs more tow rating, 3,000 lbs more GCWR, and 100 lbs more GVWR (1200 more than the '04 3/4 ton). So I think you can see apples are becoming oranges these days... Didn't mean to challenge your post, just wanted to point out that things are changing.

When do you head back south? After the holidays?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:03 PM   #23
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We also went through all the same evaluations last year when we bought our Duramax. I have to admit that I've always been a Chevy guy even though intellectually I know that Ford & Dodge both make great products.

We got a 2500HD, crew cab, short box, 4X4, with the Duramax/Allison. I also did the research that showed the 3/4 ton with a greater towing capacity than the 1 ton, and I didn't want/need the extra width of a duallie. In some ways you could say I bought an Allison transmission with a Duramax and Chevy truck attached. Diesel gives more torque than equivalent sized gase engine and is better on fuel. I wanted a crew cab to make it easier to get the dog crate in and out of the back seat (dogs can be a wicked flying object in case of an accident, not fair to them or us to have them flying around)and to make it easier to carry passengers when we go with groups. I always wanted a 4x4 and never had one before and we could afford to get it this time. Got the short box while we were towing a TT even though I knew we would probably get a 5er for our next rig. With the availability of a great auto sliding hitch, you only need a long box for the extra capacity. I just had the exhaust brake put in because even though the Allison tranny does a decent job in braking, I wanted the extra margin of safety when it necessary.

As someone else pointed out, any dealer who says you can tow with a 1/2 ton is someone whose opinion you should be leary of. Unless your towing a small tent trailer, you should be pulling with a 3/4 ton with a towing package. Period.

Lots of luck in making your choice. It really will be a personal one as all of the Big 3 make great trucks to choose from.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:29 AM   #24
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Hi Dianancolin. Interesting comment on the Tow/Haul mode having a trasmission brake. I asked that very question late last week to a dealer and they said no. Having said that most salesmen I've run into know less about their product than the consumer especially with trucks. Are you sure about this? Have you actually felt it work??
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:10 AM   #25
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just a quick comment about the tow/haul mode on the Chevrolet Duramax with Allison Trans: First, the practical effect must be very much as described above. For sure, I have towed in the Colorado Rockies and find that the tow/haul mode REALLY helps on the downhill. I have to use the brakes very little. I use it ONLY in the mountains or steep hills. Second, I am technically challenged, but my understanding is that this mode simply prevents upshifting, holding in a lower gear to a higher MPH (either downhill or uphill). I will be glad to be corrected in that understanding if it is wrong. But the bottom line is that it really works in the mountains.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:39 AM   #26
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Just received the January 2005 issue of Trailer Life. It contains a 2005 Guide to Towing which has some tips on what to look for in a tow vehicle.

Note the picture of the 05 Ford with 5ver in tow. Not much bed rail clearance. If this rig goes over a rise or through a dip of any size it could be $$$$.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:22 AM   #27
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Oh yes Chester when the tow/haul mode is engaged you can feel it. Being a naturally cautious chap (Diana may disagree after some of the antics we have enjoyed -parasailing, snorkelling with barracuda, single engine plane into Amazonia etc) I want to know I can stop what I start and there is some spare power to get us out of trouble if needed - that's why I still say go for the largest truck that will fit the garage!

Steve, unfortunately it will be May 2005 before we can use the 3400 again - temperatures in Canada are way below zero! Diana's plan is to put at least 15,000 miles on the truck (while towing) in 2005! Fort Wilderness, Bluewater Key and Texas are already on the list.

Happy Christmas to all in MOC - we look forward to meeting you on the road in 2005.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Searchers, haven't received that issue yet. We get mail once per week so maybe tomorrow. I would guess it's just the way they have that particular rig set up. The bed is no different on the '05s than on our '99 and '03 F350's. We had 7 inches of clearance, which is plenty. They probably have the hitch set too low. Haven't hitched to the '05 yet but since the bed is the same it should end up the same. The Montanas sit pretty high, too, so that makes for better clearance than on some fivers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #29
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Regarding the tow/haul mode, I agree with padredw, it prevents upshifting, but it also will automatically downshift as the vehicle slows AND it will lock up the torque convertor which is critcal if you want to get engine braking. I've used the tow/haul mode exclusively on grades (up and down) and it works well. But, we've just gone from a 7K GVWR TT to a 12.5K GVWR 5er and I wanted the extra engine braking power that the exhaust brake provides.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:13 AM   #30
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Quote:
quote:Steve, unfortunately it will be May 2005 before we can use the 3400 again - temperatures in Canada are way below zero!
DiananColin,

Fortunately it's warmed up again (no longer -20 C). We're planning on spending New Year's eve in the 3685 at our site on Lake Erie, weather permitting of course

Happy Holidays to everyone!
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #31
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
I am like most others. Ford, GMCorChevy and Dodge are all good vehicles and it is pretty much a personal taste issue. The 1/2 ton is definitely too light to handle your Montana. A dealer that tells you it will is only interested in selling his/her RV and not concerned with the experience you will have. Switch dealers.

The only thing that I might suggest is to go with the 1 ton truck of whichever of the big 3 you like the best. Dually or not is a personal choice. The reason is, you be able to handle the heavier pin weights if you trade rigs.

Just a thought.

Travel safe.
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:33 PM   #32
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Beware of the dealer who said that you could use a 1/2 ton, anyone that ignorant is dangerous.

A couple of other thoughts: In Mexico they charge you more on the toll roads and bridges for duallies and in some cities, they are banned. Last time I had a six tire rotation, it cost me $90.00. Caring for two extra tires is an expense, being able to drive for help on one flat tire is priceless. Still like our dually.

And as my Dad said, a 4X4 lets you get stuck farther from help.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote