Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Another LED thread

Hi Guys, A couple of questions.

1. My 2014 has LED lights in the ceiling. They get tiny flying bugs in them. Jay said he could remove the lens by turning them CCW. I can turn the lens just a tiny bit, but they sure do not feel like they will twist off.

Next. When watching TV off the antenna while camping, 50 miles from town, I get 23 channels. If you turn on the bedroom lights, or the living room lights, the TV will quit getting most channels. Like the LED lights are creating some type of RF interference. The small kitchen pucks have no effect on the TV. We now understand the issue and keep the lights off. Fine tuning the antenna helps sometimes.

Kitchen Puck Lights. Are not bright enough, want to change to something brighter. Are smaller than ceiling lights with a on/off sw on each light. Google for LED puck lights so far have not showed any with on/off switch, they are 3 1/8" in dia.

Thanks Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You might PM Michael and Kat. I don't know if they are handling the new LED lights yet, but their lights are constructed not to cause interference and could help your TV situation. On your other two issues I'm clueless in an older rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
I can't help you regarding LED's but as far as the TV losing chanels, We've had the same situation when we opened the door and the ceiling light (non LED) came on. We found that when we were closer to stations we had no problem.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I had a similar issue with my television only it was the fantastic fan that caused interference. I changed all the ends on all my coax's in the unit and the problem went away. The ends on some of the coax's practicaly feel off in my hand. Not good crimps at all. Jim
Old 10-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
X2 what jimcol said - what I found when hooking up a radio antenna to the home theater system was that several of the coax connectors were just pushed on & not crimped. Two were crimped, but not on the shield (you're supposed to peel back the shield and crimp or screw the body onto it & have the center conductor stick through w/o contacting anything) - those I put some screw on types on that I had on hand. Having improperly terminated cable will mess up reception severely.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Hi Guys, A couple of questions.

1. My 2014 has LED lights in the ceiling. They get tiny flying bugs in them. Jay said he could remove the lens by turning them CCW. I can turn the lens just a tiny bit, but they sure do not feel like they will twist off.

Kitchen Puck Lights. Are not bright enough, want to change to something brighter. Are smaller than ceiling lights with a on/off sw on each light. Google for LED puck lights so far have not showed any with on/off switch, they are 3 1/8" in dia.

Thanks Jim
Hi Jim,

The ceiling lights are "hard" to turn. You cannot turn them off with just your hand. I have to use the rubber lid grips in the palm of my hand to twist off. They do not prey off.

I like you wanted to remove the "stuff" that was in my ceiling lights. I found that is was not bugs, but saw dust in my LED ceiling lights.

I also agree with you on the small LED lights with red LED when off are not bright enough. I only have two of those, one over the couch, and one under the cabinets by the table. They are not bright enough if you want to read on the couch, so I too plan to replace those.

Jay
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Jay, Thanks Again. I'll try the twist a bit harder. I am considering trying to obtain a couple of the ceiling lights to install over the sink and stove area.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote