Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Back up camera

A few months ago I bought a wireless backup camera from Tadi Brothers and as you may have guessed it didn't work reliably. It only cost about $225. I thought I would call them to see what could be done to improve the range. I talked to a lady who said I needed their long range transmitter and receiver. I got my credit card out and ask, How much they cost? Oh no cost I'm sending them free was her answer.
I installed them today and it looks like they will transmit about 75 feet reliably.
GREAT SERVICE
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good to know, thanks!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Been thinking about buying one and need one that works and from a company with good customer service.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had the hard wired model for several years and have never had a problem of any kind although it is a bit of a hassle to make the connection between the camper and the truck. The newer and higher quality wireless units are only wireless between the truck and the nose of the 5th wheel a distance of maybe 15 or 20 feet and from what I have seen works very well. If I were to purchase a camera now it would be the wireless unit. Prodigy comes to mind. They are a bit pricy but one gets what they pay for. The camera btw is a tool I would not leave home without.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks Rich, will keep this and Original Poster info while looking around at others units while at Rallies. We plan to put on 2" receiver hitch on back of Monty and I have been wondering if camera can look down a bikes/trikes and traffic at same time.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Some of the units have more that one input so you can do that.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Tadi Brothers has 100s of combinations from a 2 1\2 inch monitor to a 9 inch with a single input, to I think 7 inputs. Price ranges from a little over a hundred dollars to at least a thousand dollars. I got the standard resolution camera with a 7 inch display. I chose wireless but I could have got a wired unit. I wish I would have got a high res camera but the one I have a adequate for my use. All said it is a very nice unit especially countering the price.
Lynwood
Old 08-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Installed a rear view camera system from www.rearviewsafety.com. I have had it for 3 years now and really like it. Here is a link to some photos from the install.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1050179...wCameraNov2010

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

My trailer came with the backup camera installed by keystone. The camera is hard wired to the front of the trailer. The receiver transmitter antenna is mounted on the front cap.

It didn’t work at all. The dealer worked on it all day one time and then told me I had to contact Keystone to get a warranty receiver.

By this time I had figured out the dealer didn’t have any qualified maintenance personnel.

When I got home I started looking at the system. I found a removable panel in the back wall of the front closet. I removed that and everything looks good. So I go to the cabinets in the rear of the trailer and found a removable panel there. Removed it and the problem was very obvious. Keystone had never plugged the camera into the lead to the front of the trailer. Plugged it in and the system has worked perfect now for 4 years.

And someone here keeps trying to convince me Keystone has a quality control system!!!

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I have a wireless camera system I purchased for my previous RV a travel trailer. It made hitching up as easy as possible.

The camera has a magnetic base so I can attach it just about anywhere to see what's up (or down....).
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #11
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cgaskins

Installed a rear view camera system from www.rearviewsafety.com. I have had it for 3 years now and really like it. Here is a link to some photos from the install.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1050179...wCameraNov2010

Very nice! Thanks for the info.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My wife and I leaving for a 6000 mile trip in about 3 weeks. When we get back I will let you know hoe this one works, good or bad. If it works good, great if it doesn't I will let you know. There is no need for but one of us to waste our money.
Lynwood
Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

My trailer came with the backup camera installed by keystone. The camera is hard wired to the front of the trailer. The receiver transmitter antenna is mounted on the front cap.

It didn’t work at all. The dealer worked on it all day one time and then told me I had to contact Keystone to get a warranty receiver.

By this time I had figured out the dealer didn’t have any qualified maintenance personnel.

When I got home I started looking at the system. I found a removable panel in the back wall of the front closet. I removed that and everything looks good. So I go to the cabinets in the rear of the trailer and found a removable panel there. Removed it and the problem was very obvious. Keystone had never plugged the camera into the lead to the front of the trailer. Plugged it in and the system has worked perfect now for 4 years.

And someone here keeps trying to convince me Keystone has a quality control system!!!

Phil P
keystone has a quality control system and I have posted more than once exactly what it is and way it does not work.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #14
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

Phil P
keystone has a quality control system and I have posted more than once exactly what it is and way it does not work.

If it doesn’t work then it’s the same as not having one!

That’s like carrying a life raft that won’t hold air it’s the same as not having one.

This trailer came from keystone with many and I mean many defects that should not have ever come off the production line.

There were waste pipes that were not hooked up. Water lines that were less than finger tight. Side walls that were not properly attached to the roof.

There are about 4 pages of this stuff.

Phil P
Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil many of us have seen the quality process at the fall rally. We have seen the red tape on defects and those defects are corrected. They check pretty much what they can see and that does not go far enough. They do have a quality process that is a fact. That it does not catch every defect is also a fact.
This 13 3402 Big sky came off the line with build quality defects they have no process to deal with...that is a fact.But they do have a quality process and it works as far as it goes..
Old 08-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #16
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

This trailer got skipped I would guess that the closes thing to quality control on this unit was the transport driver may have checked the torque on the wheels.

The television wasn’t even hooked up. Numerous other electrical problems that makes it obvious the trailer was never plugged into power before I went to pick it up at the dealer.

When I say the waste lines weren’t hooked up I meant the black tank vent line was lying on the floor behind the wall in the basement. I was obvious it had never been installed. There wasn't any glue on the pieces and there weren’t any hangers to hold it to the wall.

This goes on and on and on. The trailer spent weeks at the dealer and they didn’t correct most of the problems. That’s when I found out they didn’t have trained qualified technicians when I had to teach their electrical technician how to use a VOM!

Then I am told by the dealer that Keystone would not pay them do correct the water leaks in the toilet room.

At this point the trailer is now 2 weeks old.

After I trained the dealer’s technician on how to caulk a shower stall without removing the vanity and it appeared that the waste water system and the potable water system were water tight we made a trip to Illinois, Arkansas and back to Florida (3,000)

At this point the trailer is now 60 days old.

The major problem we had on this trip was Hot water heater (dealer had left the outside switch off) potable water leaks and landing gear. Both landing gear had failed by the time we got to Ft Smith. Then on the way back to Florida the driver’s side landing gear fell down on the road at 60 MPH.

Returned to the dealer and this is when things really went down the tube.

The tires were all bad. The dealer said they couldn’t reach Keystone. Then changing the worst tire out for the spare the technician leaned the jack handle against the side of the trailer. There were people working in the trailer so you can guess what that did. I had to remove the jack handle and inform the technician that that is not the way this should be done. They didn’t even offer to do anything about the scratches in the graphics.

Bottom line is when the dealer didn’t call me back by the middle of the following week I called Keystone.

They refused to do anything to help me.

For the next 18 months I tried to deal with Keystone like they were legitimate business people.

I discontinued any further communication with the dealer and Keystone when Keystone refused me access to the service facility in Indiana.

If I keep going this will look like the NTSB report of a multi vehicle accident that involved several semi tractor trailers.

You will have to go a long way to try and convince me they have any comprehensive QC in place.

And like I said anything you are seeing at the plant is about the same as carrying a life raft that doesn’t hold air when flying over the ocean. It looks good and gives you a warm fuzzy felling and that is all.

Phil P
Old 08-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"You will have to go a long way to try and convince me they have any comprehensive QC in place" you gotta read the post again. Did not say that at all. Hope you kept all the bad tires as evidence. You have a excellent case against Keystone and the dealer as I am sure you have documentation and pictures and should pursue it to the limit.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #18
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Unfortunately I returned the tires to Goodyear as requested. I never received any thing in return. I did not have a blowout I caught the sidewall failure before the catastrophic failure.

I elected to spend the money on repairing the trailer rather than give it to an attorney. However the attorney has a sizable file on it and may still proceed if he gets responses from inquires he has made.

At this time I am getting to much satisfaction showing people the quality of this trailer. I don’t go out of my way to approached people they come to me. This is one of the reasons I haven’t replaced the graphics is because they attract attention. People get the idea when we get to the sewer out let and it isn’t glued on the pipe so the water hose connection is on the bottom. This is not because I have the cap installed a ¼ turn off the fitting is about 15 degrees crooked.

Here is the bottom line.

If Keystone had acted with integrity instead of backing an obviously incompetent dealer because he had high volume sales I would not be posting these things.

I would be posting the good results that I obtained from customer service.

To have to track down a factory rep at a rally is not they way good customer service works.

This is not the way a reputable company handles customer relations.

Phil P
Old 08-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are doing the right thing and I hope you are reporting all of this to Keystone. In fact this thread along with a couple of others will be taken to Keystone in hand by myself as there are questions to be answered and the other side of the story to be heard. I am sure all of your issues are on file at Keystone.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Don’t bet on it.

When you take this to Keystone they will not see anything they have previously seen.

You will also find that Keystones records of phone conversations are seriously edited. I had an operator I had called about some very incorrect information given to me 4 hours earlier by a different operator and none of the pertinent conversation was in that report just the statement the operator had recommended I take the trailer to the selling dealer. This was correct the previous operator had said that at the end of a lengthily conversation that wasn’t there.

Get copies of the E-Mails as well.

I think you will find the whole thing interesting.

Phil P