Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
dodge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8554
Day Night Shades GRRRRRRRR

To say I HATE these things is a gross understatement! Oh sure the idea is fine, but function is not.

We have had trouble with these in our 05 2955 ever since we bought it new. If you don't lift or pull them down with both hands exactly even and slow they go crooked and slip out one end and tear.

Now the big one in the back has broken the string and is going to be on the way to the garbage. We are just nursing it along because we are on a cross country trip and the temporary fix will be to hang a sheet up.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I am hoping for suggestions as to what anyone has done as a replacement for these stupid things.

I have read the post that shows in detail how to fix them, I've seen the pictures, I read how wonderful they are. NO THANKS, I want to replace them.

Any suggestions???

dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I won't be much help. We had one string break in four years of full timing. The factory sent me a free kit to repair it. It was simple enough to do. Sorry you are so upset with them. Hope you find an adequate replacement.

In our bathroom window, they used a mini blind. We have to remember to engage the catches at the bottom when traveling or it will bang around all over place and beat up the walls. Not hard to do, but another item for the check list.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I use mine often since 05 and I'm a long timer(9-10 months a year).In the first year I experienced the same thing you did.What I did was loosen the tension on the string and on the end caps I put small screws so the shade can't push out the side and tear.I have not repaired any to date yet.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We have had our 06 2955RL since 2006 and had one string fray while we were at the Fall rally. What luck!! They had a class on how to repair and restring it and DH went to it. He said it was easy to do. I love how they look and the concept is great on paper, but I agree with you on how they perform. I wish they had an alternative.

I did have a neighbor at one campground we stayed at. She had the shades that you use at your home that work the same but are only "day time" quality. She had lace curtains over them and it was really pretty. Of course, I can't see the men going for that!! Some other type of drape or curtain would work as well. It would give a different look to the interior that might be a nice change. Let us know what you did to solve your window problem.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dodge

To say I HATE these things is a gross understatement! Oh sure the idea is fine, but function is not.

We have had trouble with these in our 05 2955 ever since we bought it new. If you don't lift or pull them down with both hands exactly even and slow they go crooked and slip out one end and tear.

Now the big one in the back has broken the string and is going to be on the way to the garbage. We are just nursing it along because we are on a cross country trip and the temporary fix will be to hang a sheet up.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I am hoping for suggestions as to what anyone has done as a replacement for these stupid things.

I have read the post that shows in detail how to fix them, I've seen the pictures, I read how wonderful they are. NO THANKS, I want to replace them.

Any suggestions???
Sounds like some of end caps may be missing....Strings can be replaced easily if you are a little handy. I beleive there is a post on here on how you can restring them...hope this helps..

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Yep! That's a problem alright. Especially the one near the dining table.

They are grossly over tightened from the factory. I've read in a couple of places that if they do not fall down while traveling they are way too tight. This causes the strings to wear out quickly and makes uneven pulls even more likely. So does the location of the window cranks.

Some have used a dab of glue on the end pieces. Don't use glue unless you want to totally replace the blind when the string breaks. Hint : use a small self tapping sheet metal screw.

There are pictures here from several years back showing how to do it. Let me know if you can't find them using search.

Regards,
Russ
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Ours work fine...after I adjusted them by loosening the tension and making sure both side had equal tension.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
We are seriously considering switching our day/night shades for horizontal wood blinds. We saw these at a recent RV show in one of the Heartland models. We will definitely use one for the window at the dining table as it is such a backbreaker to operate. Home Depot has faux wood blinds at a reasonable price.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We have never cared for day/night shades and don't understand why they are even used in our 2004 Montana. The windows are so dark, looking in from the outside during the day, that we never use the day part of the shades. One day my wife was about 3' looking in to where I was setting and she could not see me and believe me, had she seen me doing what I was doing, she would have yelled at me when she came inside and no I was not doing anything obscene.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #10
dodge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8554
Well I now have a mini blind up replacing the day/nights.

Those have been such a pain ever since we got this 5th wheel brand new. It didn't take much for them to go up crooked and then they would slip out and eventually the fabric was torn and this wasn't just the back one. The others have done the same thing. I moved the kitchen table out 2 inches to be able to raise that shade easier (very slowly with both hands). And the one in the back on the left (port) side is torn.

We are in Knoxville for a few days and we stopped at a Walmart and bought a 72" wide mini and replaced it yesterday. It is so easy to use, I should have done it a long time ago. We'll see how it holds up and may need to replace this mini with one that is a step up in quality but for now and for the rest of our trip (another month)it will be just fine.

I really like how they look and sooooo easy to use.
dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
DH told me that at the bottom of the day/night shades, on the wall, there are clear adjustment "thimbles" that the cords are wrapped around. Using a screwdriver you turn the screw to adjust the tension on the shades. He said that they should move up and down easily with the correct adjustment. Also, if you lose the plastic end caps the material does slide out of the ends and that is when you get the tearing in the fabric. As far as mini blinds go I think they bend out of shape at the ends too easily and then they look bad....not to mention cleaning and dusting all those little slats!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #12
ileyld
Established Member

M.O.C. #9071
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dodge

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Any suggestions???
ileyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 AM   #13
ileyld
Established Member

M.O.C. #9071
dodge,
I agree. I hate them also. If I could get rid of the "DAY PART"
I would love them.
Has any one tried to get rid of the DAY part of the shade? I have two that I need to repair.
On a lighter note this site is fantastic.Lots of great Ideas.
ileyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #14
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ileyld

dodge,
I agree. I hate them also. If I could get rid of the "DAY PART"
I would love them.
Has any one tried to get rid of the DAY part of the shade? I have two that I need to repair.
On a lighter note this site is fantastic.Lots of great Ideas.
Sounds like a great idea...the next one I do, I'm going to look into that....
I rebuild these shades for most of the RV dealers in Central WI. as a business. Also, for people in the area that we visit in the winter.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Blinds refitting

Hi Everyone:

The best way to learn how to rethread the blinds is to attend a Montana rally. There is always a hands on demonstration from RVers in the know.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote