Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
Phil Eyler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9197
Black tank spray check valve access

Help, I have a 2009 3400. I have a leak in my black tank sprayer. Its leaking into the fifth wheel. Many of you suggested that it might be the check valve located behind the pantry. I can't figure how to get to it. I removed the cover in the basement and traced the water line up into the floor under the pantry. But when I cleared out the pantry, I don't see any access door to the lines. Am I missing something? It looks like the back wall of the pantry is all one piece. The shelves are all stapled in. There has to be a way to get to that check valve but other than removing the whole back wall of the pantry, I can't find it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Eyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Phil, On my '06 3400 there is an access panel in the pantry. It is high in the middle set of shelves. I've not had mine off yet but some folks say it is usually not directly over the valve and some cutting may be necessary to reach the valve. If you have no access panel you might have to cut a small hole to approximate the valve and cut a larger one when you find it. You can probably get an access cover of sorts from an RV supply or surplus store in your area. If you look where the pocket door is you might be able to see it and start cutting accordingly. Maybe slide a yardstick or rigid tape measure in there to measure where the valve is. Good luck....Please keep in mind that mine is an '06 and yours may be different. Hope this helps...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
When looking remember to open the sliding door, when open it blocks the view of the valve. I measured and cut a new hole to get to mine. We used some matching paneling and velcro to cover the new hole. Yes, I couldn't see the vaslve until the light bulb came on and I realized that I was looking at the pocket door, duh. Good luck.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, the hole in our pantry was not quite lined up with the valve. I had to enlarge the hole. I just used a pair of pliers as I didn't have a hacksaw blade handy. Fortunately the cover still fit over the hole (but just barely) so I didn't have to buy or fashion a bigger cover. Here's a couple of pictures that might help you locate the valve.

Here's the cover (it just pulls off)

Here's the original hole behind the cover

After enlarging the hole

and here is the valve
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Richard Bruno
Established Member

M.O.C. #7480
My leak was caused by a crack in the outlet fitting of the black tank sprayer check valve. I'm going to replace it but I want to know if there is a method other than brute force to disconnect a fitting? Maybe a heat gun to soften the tubing?
Richard Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
On our 2009 340RLQ I had to cut a hole in the pantry and install a cover. On our 2006 3400RL we had a cover already installed (over the hole).

For our 2009, I measured a number of times with the sliding door closed-ish, subtracting the width of the cabinet frames, etc. and then finally taking the plunge and cutting into the back to the pantry...

Take your time, measure twice, cut once...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We also had to cut a hole to access the valve. Bob used his little Dremel tool to cut and then just taped the cutout piece back in place after he replaced the valve.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Sounds like some of the folks here are smarter than me! I also had to cut a panel, but used the smallest wood screws I could find to put a piece of paneling over the hole after I fixed the valve. The first time we pulled out the pocket door, the screws scraped the wood on the door. Now I have 2 nice little 4 inch gouges in my door. I guess velcro or tape is teh smart way to go! Thanks for the idea!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
We have one under the bathroom sink but as I remember, the water lines connected to it are red which I would think is a hot water line. The adjacent line is blue. All our water lines are red or blue. How many of these check valves are there in the trailer?
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I had to cut an access panel out, about 10" x 10". I installed an all brass, back flow preventer valve that I found in Elkhart, IN. I glued a new wood frame on the inside of the access hole so I could re-install the piece of paneling that I previously cut out. I ground off the ends of the screws so they would not go through and scratch my sliding door.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #11
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Just a word of caution from someone with a 2011 3400 before you start cutting. The dealer said they went through the shower behind the cold/hot water facets to replace the black tank valve. This doesn't seem possible unless you have small, strong hands. This was in warranty and it fixed it. We don't have a hole or a patch in our pantry back wall. Now, I have told you more than I know!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:03 AM   #12
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I ask the Service Center and they said to go through the shower valves. Take the screws out and reach in and grab it then pull it to the hole.
I have not had a problem with it yet so have not tried it.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
dpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11617
I also have one under the sink, is there only one or are there more than.one?
Thank you!!
dpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpilot

Thank you!!
Hi

What model is your trailer?

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
If the check valve is just a back flow prevention device, why not eliminate it and place a fresh water back flow device at the point of entry? Sure would make future maintenance easier? JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
When you replace the check valve, don't replace it with the plastic version, get the brass one! I found my leak under the bathroom sink while at Disney World. We drove over to Camping World Orlando and they fixed us right up! Don't worry about the horizontal or vertical orientation, just that it flows through to the black tank.

Best wishes!
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpilot

Thank you!!
Yes, once you've found one you've found them all. Under the sink is a common placement (where ours was), but they have put them in many unusual spots.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool picture Michael, I think you might want to delete the first one.. or explain it. Now I am curious
On the check valve, Mine leaked when I did a combination of two things... which I immediately forgot.. C.R.S. I guess, but it stopped leaking and hasn't leaked since. Ponderous, just ponderous..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #19
Tom Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #10236
Mine was behind the shower water valves also
Tom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

With all of this talk about this valve leaking I decided to find mine so I could tell if it needed attention.

I found it under the sink.

The only problem is there isn’t a valve just couplings and fittings that tie the 2 water lines together.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote