Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Storage and MICE

I live on a ranch and stored our last RV on a pad about 75 feet from a shop and barn. After about a month or so my wife found out we had mice in the trailer. What do you do to keep mice out of a trailer and what do you do to catch mice in a trailer? I did not want to put poison in the trailer and have mice die there so I put a new battery operated trap and did catch several mice. Just woundering if any of you have had mice problems and what you did to get rid of them.Don't want to get mice in my new Big Sky.

Frank

Frank

maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Did the bounce thing inside the basement and cabinets, set 4 traps and so far have 7 confirmed kills. Looking to become a double ace. They haven't chewed up anything as far as we can tell. Just part of doing business I suppose. I know they are not smarter than me, they just have more time to find ways inside.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Frank-- If you go to the Search engine at the top of the page and type in "mice", you'll come up with all of the posts or threads that have been on the Forum on this subject. You're not the only one that this has happened to. We have our unit parked on rock down on the Platte River bottom land and there are hayfields and pasture all around. We put mothballs or crystals down all around the wheels and any other thing(front landing gear) touching the ground. We also use dryer sheets throughout the inside and also put pouches of an herbal combination (Fresh Cab) around inside that we purchased at Tractor Supply (TSC)but Menards also carry them. It works great! Haven't had a mouse since we started this! I do set sticky traps and regular traps but have not had any use of them. Check out the Search deal and I think you'll find quite a few solutions! Keep us informed on how things turnout!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We have tried a few things such as the dryer sheets but we have gotten the best results with peppermint oil purchased at the health food store. A few drops on cotton balls which are placed under the cabinets and the mice seem to avoid us. We refresh them about once a month. I laughed when I first heard of this thinking that the peppermint would actually attract them but now we are a believer. It seems like mice have differing tastes around the country because of the many sucessful strategies employed by our MOC family.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
A wise young man once told me to use a bucket with some water in it.

A small can (coffee can) with a solid wire running through the center and attach the ends of the wires to the bucket edges.

Place peanut butter on the can in a few locations.

And while you are sound asleep in your nice comfy Montana the mice will attempt to eat the nice fresh peanut butter while standing on the edge of the bucket, extending there front paws to the can to access the most delightful treat.

Once the weight of there body is placed evenly on there front paws the can will spin causing the small creature to fall into the bath water at the bottom of the bucket.

Thanks to Robbie Simons for this great tip.

Gary
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Trust me we have tried all in the last 20 years. Dryer sheets,moth balls,electronic plug in's Peppermint oil they just do not work for us. Traps or finding entry is the solution.
I like the bucket idea
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If you can get to it easily the traps with peanut butter work well. If not,we use bounce scented sheets,peppermint oil like others and also use a product called fresh cab. It is small net sacks with a heavy pine smell of some kind. Might be overkill,but no mice the last 2 years.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We use the electronic gizmos as well as the traps with peanut butter...What ever works we try...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Up until last summer (since 2005), never had a mouse problem...then I did.

It took a lot of looking to find their entry spot but it is by the bottom of the left side slide out. There is JUST enough of a gap between the 'bubble' seals they could sneak thru. For winter storage, I loaded up the area with super coarse steel wool (#1).

When (and if) spring/summer ever arrives, I'll get back under and see if I can make somethin' that will seal properly.

Oh, yes...did capture the offending critter!

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I too park my camper next to a hay barn. Parked this close to a barn you are begging for trouble. If you have that many mice the dryer sheets and electronic noise makers simply do not work, I've tried then. Think about your problem. There is only 4 places they can get in your camper. Put the landing feet in a 5 gallon bucket. Then park on a rubber mat with hardware cloth on top of it. Extend the hardware cloth to 1/2 inch of the edge of the mat. Now hook the hardware cloth to one of your fence chargers. Problem solved. If you don't get a good ground you might need to run a ground wire around the hardware cloth.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GaryM

A wise young man once told me to use a bucket with some water in it.

A small can (coffee can) with a solid wire running through the center and attach the ends of the wires to the bucket edges.

Place peanut butter on the can in a few locations.

And while you are sound asleep in your nice comfy Montana the mice will attempt to eat the nice fresh peanut butter while standing on the edge of the bucket, extending there front paws to the can to access the most delightful treat.

Once the weight of there body is placed evenly on there front paws the can will spin causing the small creature to fall into the bath water at the bottom of the bucket.

Thanks to Robbie Simons for this great tip.

Gary
You are welcome, glad it worked for you. A lady at a Wyoming state park taught us that trick. While camping on the North Umpqua River in Oregon, we caught 37 mice using this method in 14 days. We also caught 5 one day while at Arches NP.

Robbie
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
I've used the 5 gal bucket for a couple years and it works great. I use RV anti freeze instead of water. I live in Pa. Water freezes. They drown in the anti-freeze and it keeps the from smelling. I use a 1/4 in dowel rod thru bucket, thru small coffee can loaded with P/B. I attach a small ramp up to the protruding dowel rod. When they get in they go right for the P/B and I never find droppings any where else. I don't have to worry about checking traps often. Dryer sheets and peppermint oil never helped.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I do exactly the same as Ray with the bucket. Been doing it for over 40 years in my cabin in the mountains and in my campers. The anti freeze is the ticket. It doesn't freeze and it keeps the little corpses from decomposing and stinking up the place.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote