Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Question about 6 volt batteries

I've seen a few references on the forum about 6 volt batteries but I'm not clear why using two-or more- 6 volts (in series presumably)is advantageous to one or two high quality AGM deep cycle 12 volts.
Did a bit of searching but didn't really find the answer...anybody want to educate me on this? Thanks!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
6v batteries typically discharge slower and recharge faster over a 12v battery. They tend to be easier to maintain because of this.

You must have at least two 6v batteries connected in series so that they provide 12v. Then to do the equivalent of two 12v batteries in parallel, you must get another two 6v batteries and connect them in series (to make 12v) and then connect these two sets of dual 6v batteries in parallel.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks Art...that's kind of what I was thinking. I guess it would depend on how much "dry" camping you do and how much 12v load you have on your particular trailer as to whether or not it's worthwhile doing the multiple 6 volt set up?
I'm thinking I will probably just change out the original 12v battery with a high quality and capacity AGM battery and see how that works to start off with.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
One of the basic reasons for a true deep cycle 6 volt battery is better than a 12 volt one is because the 6 volt is constructed with twice as thick lead cells. The thicker lead cells cause the battery to produce more electricity. Bottom line is that you will end up with more usable amp hours than with a 12 volt. At least that is what I've been told. Good luck, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Longevity is one of my primary reasons for 6vs, the repeated deep deep discharging and their ability to bounce back. I've pulled them down to 50% charge often. I've run them as house banks in my cruising boats for years, typically getting 5 years of service, and that's not being kind to them. However, you will need a smart charger to fully replenish the batteries during the charge cycles. They also like to drink a large amount of distilled water. Having said all that and having over 20 years experience with them, for me it's the only way to go.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Cost can also be a issue. Trying to achieve the same Amp Hours with a AGM will co$t you more than with 6v batteries.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Since the 6V golf cart and 12V AGM batteries are both lead-acid chemistry, they share the same basic operating characteristics. If they are both designed for the same service, say deep cycle versus starting, they have similar construction characteristics. Because the AGMs are "sealed", requiring no special venting, and are similar to car batteries in their shape, they are my choice for RV applications, though.

They are more expensive per AH, but less expensive to install. $175 will get you 12V 100 AH of AGM versus $160 for 12V 220 AH of golf cart at Costco.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I am using two of these. I like them. Charging is the only maintence....JB

Deka Intimidator AGM Battery
Deka Intimidator
9A31PH (with Handle)

The Deka Intimidator's tight-pack plate and separator absorbed glass mat construction provides added power for resistance against hard-hitting stereo systems, competitive racing or off-road wear and tear vibration. Along with a more efficient design, the Deka Intimidator has the same case/cover configuration used by original equipment manufacturers for an easier fit into more applications. No elaborate marketing gimmicks or hold-down retrofits, just decades of experience to provide a better fit, more power and long life.

Features:
‹ 100% Maintenance-free eliminates need to check fluid levels
‹ Electrolyte absorbed by micro-porous glass separators eliminates acid spills and terminal corrosion
‹ Tightly "Packed" construction and calcium reinforced grids provide greater resistance to shock and vibration
‹ Provides plenty of starting power at lower temperatures
‹ True maintenance-free performance means longer life with hassle-free service
‹ Superb dual purpose design delivers excellent starting and accessory power, perfect for auxiliary lighting, car audio and video
‹ Highly porous separators lowers resistance and increases power

Specifications:

Group Size 78
Warranty 36 Month
Chemistry AGM
Cold Cranking Amps 800
Cranking Amps 1000
Reserve Capacity 190
Amp Hour Rate 100

Dimensions:

Length 13"
Width 6 3/4"
Height 9 1/2"
Price ................................$188.51 each. Little pricey, but good.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Like HamRad was stating here is an example of battery weight for 12 volt & 6 volt Interstate batteries. The 12 volt Interstate battery that came with the Monty weighed 32 Lbs. I replaced it with 6 volt Interstate batteries. A single 6 volt Interstate battery weighed 60.5 Lbs. The 12 volt battery was kind of in between a cranking amp battery (car) and a true deep cycle golf cart battery.
The true deep cycle batteries do have larger lead plates.

Firetrucker has a good point about AGM batteries and venting. AGM batteries are better for the reason they are sealed and need less attention. In solar design they are a better choice other than cost because they can be placed in a non sealed compartment. As far as the life of each. AGMs may last longer than flooded lead acid batteries. The price probably would not make that difference worth it if one took proper care of flooded lead acid batteries.
The AGM batteries will charge a little quicker also from the things I read.

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Something to keep in mind, when on the road you never really know where you will be. I chose the Sam's Club 6 v. batteries because in case of any warranty issues, a Sam's is typically near-by. I chose the 6 volts because every Sam's has them on the shelf..I think every one. From reading all the Solar information, it sees the most economical and easiest to find on the road.
I love the AGM batteries for my Super Duty, I got them at Sears, probably triple what a regular vented battery would cost, but I want the very best and most reliable for my starting batteries. Just my preference.
Mike, keep this in mind, if you stay somewhere without hook-ups, say you park around noon and it is cool enough to run the furnace. Around 11:00 the next morning, your 12 volt will be really low. You will only have enough reserve for about 24 hrs running the furnace, and all the other things that are nice to have on.
Someone feel free to correct me if my math is bad. I ain't too good at cypering...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I was thinking if I need more "juice" I would run two of the 12v AGMs in parallel.
Obviously, still have a lot to learn...appreciate all the responses and advice!
Looks like the 6v are a lot heavier, plus to run multiples would take up a lot or room I would think?
Anyone got some pics of their "battery array"?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Mike here is my battery set up. There are 4 Interstate 6 volt golf cart batteries. Scroll down to the fourth photo. Batteries
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Joe, Nice Setup .....
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
I run two 12 volt AGM's with a 2 amp solar panel for the few times I am not hooked to shore power or towing and charging from the truck. AGM's can sustain on a low charge rate and are the battery of choice for solar systems but they do not heat very much during charging and can withstand high charge rates better than conventional flooded cell units. Besides being spill proof and not requiring external venting, they have a true deep cycle capability and typically outlast other batteries in deep cycle use. They can survive freezing temperatures when fully discharged and come back and hold a charge. They are generally a bit larger and heavier than other 12 volt batteries. AGM's are also available in 6 volt batteries with amp hour capacities of up to 300 AH. They tend to be expensive but two of these will give you about 6 times the capacity of a standard 12 volt 100 AH AGM.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

My biggest issue with flooded cell batteries is they require maintenance, venting and they can leak.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

I was thinking if I need more "juice" I would run two of the 12v AGMs in parallel.
Obviously, still have a lot to learn...appreciate all the responses and advice!
Looks like the 6v are a lot heavier, plus to run multiples would take up a lot or room I would think?
Anyone got some pics of their "battery array"?
Here are the common 6V configurations:

I have Six 6 Volt batteries. They have used very little water in the past year.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Very helpful...thanks! Time will tell how much dry camping we end up doing. I will add this to my list of future mods!