Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Baybum10 smart move getting good tires. You can never assume you will get a mile out of the OEM China bomb tires. You are not the first on MOC this has happened to you will not be the last. A word to the wise!
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #22
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
The Goodyear Gy614 or Nothing Is now a thing of the Past as Many of us are using Made in China G rated 14 ply Lt's for years and thousands of miles with great success and that includes Sailuns,Geostars G574's like me and my buddy as that is what Les Schwab tires here out West sells and lots of them AND then you have Westlake any many others.. Just stay away from anything ST IMO on these Heavier Montys as they are not the right tool for the job
Old 09-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #23
craigb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14426
All ST tires are rated at 65mph. Some auto tires are only rated at 70mph

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

I don't know why the OEMs would put put 65 mph tires on a camper and send them out on a 75 MPG highway.
We have seen over and over this same story. If you have ST China bomb tires on your camper you are are begging for trouble. Run them at your own risk.
Lynwood
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:22 AM   #24
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
My Ranier ST Tires OEM on my Montana HC 375 FL are 75 mph speed rated. They are made in Thailand. I have no idea how good or bad they might be little info is available on the internet.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #25
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Our good friends had Ranier's on their new Jayco and ended up replacing all four during our Maritime trip last summer. Broken belts, bulges, even one exploded.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #26
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Any idea on how old the Raniers were?
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #27
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Less than a year old. A trip to Florida then back to Western New York then off to the Canadian Maritime.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #28
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I was a professional driver of one thing or another for my entire working life. I'm 62 now and retired for 5 years. I pull at 70 mph when the freeways are dry, there is light traffic, no wind, and visibility is good. I feel totally comfortable at this speed. I'll even go faster when passing. I'm doing it on G614 tires, but would NEVER go that fast on Marathons.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Mark I agree completely. That is what speed limits are for if you have the proper tires. Let others drive at some magic lower speed.
Lynwood
Old 09-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #30
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
TO answer the OP , I had a blowout with a Carlisle tire that causd significant damage. I contacted the company, and they covered the damage. I run Goodrich Commercial TAs on my 5er now, no problems.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #31
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by craigb

All ST tires are rated at 65mph. Some auto tires are only rated at 70mph

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

I don't know why the OEMs would put put 65 mph tires on a camper and send them out on a 75 MPG highway.
We have seen over and over this same story. If you have ST China bomb tires on your camper you are are begging for trouble. Run them at your own risk.
Lynwood
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #32
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
Not all ST tires are rated at 65 mph. The sailun's are ST tires and are an 129L code which stands for 75 mph rated.There tires don't show ST in there advertisement but it is now stamped ST on there sidewall- at least on the 235x80x16.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #33
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, to help with clarification, both the G614 from Goodyear and the Sailun's are all steel carcass's per Tredit. That separates the China Sailun's from the other Chinese tires which are poly steel construction. Second, again per Tredit, the Sailun's are now rated as Trailer Tires so they don't fall under the tariff system and they are allowed to sell below their manufacturing cost. They make their profit from the Chinese government. Unfortunately for Goodyear, their G614's don't get government subsidies. Third, as hinted at in an earlier post, speed limits are the top recommended speed under optimum conditions. And we've all been passed by the guy running China Bombs, doing 80 mph because they can, through rain and 30 mph side winds and overloaded on gcwr with a boat trailer behind. This forum has a lot of great information. If you go through the many pages of tire posts and still drive down the road with E rated tires, good luck. And let's not even add TPMS into the discussion. Even G rated all steel tires pick up nails and screws.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #34
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

First, to help with clarification, both the G614 from Goodyear and the Sailun's are all steel carcass's per Tredit. That separates the China Sailun's from the other Chinese tires which are poly steel construction. Second, again per Tredit, the Sailun's are now rated as Trailer Tires so they don't fall under the tariff system and they are allowed to sell below their manufacturing cost. They make their profit from the Chinese government. Unfortunately for Goodyear, their G614's don't get government subsidies. Third, as hinted at in an earlier post, speed limits are the top recommended speed under optimum conditions. And we've all been passed by the guy running China Bombs, doing 80 mph because they can, through rain and 30 mph side winds and overloaded on gcwr with a boat trailer behind. This forum has a lot of great information. If you go through the many pages of tire posts and still drive down the road with E rated tires, good luck. And let's not even add TPMS into the discussion. Even G rated all steel tires pick up nails and screws.
Ron,
You're going to have to add Geostar G574 to your list in order to remain accurate.
All-steel casing supports high load rating, providing maximum strength and durability.

Mark
Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #35
craigb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14426
I switched to Samson All Steel ST235/85R16 14 ply Load range G Super Heavy Duty tire when my Marathons blew up. This tire is steel bead to bead. Got 3,000 miles so far.
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #36
Richard Harrison

M.O.C. #19362
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ctwebb

Hi all, Has anyone gone after the tire makers for the damage to your unit after a tire blow out. We have the Power King Tow Max tires that are three years old and have about 5000 miles on them. One blew out yesterday and caused a good amount of damage to my unit. Tire pressures were correct. No signs or warnings when we hears the loud explosion I assume this is where the term China bomb comes from
Thanks for your input
Richard Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #37
Richard Harrison

M.O.C. #19362
Hi Iam am new to MOC but have been camping for years.

Last tip I blew 2 copper tires that were only 4 years old The tread was over 75% good and pressure was up.
I have found that most tires blow for one of two reasons. Either a road hazard or over heating . I believe mine was road hazard. When they went, There was another camper a 10 feet up the road with the same problem and I had gone over 800 miles before they blow. They were made in China but so is everything today. They were a good brand (COPPER ) and did not show any signs of stress when I set out.
I have picked up things in my tires you never see when driving. Bolts, Pieces of metal, nails, screws,even had a screw driver in one, on a trip.

When I got home I put 2 more new tires on just to match up the new ones I had to replace on the road.
PS Covering your tires when sitting a long time is highly recommended.
Richard Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #38
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think if you stay around here long enough you will see a pattern. I've been here since 2004 and have seen many blowouts usually in the summer when most people are traveling and it's hot and the cheap light Chinese ST tires start blowing out. They have watched the pressure not drove too fast and still a blowout has took the side off of their camper. I have seen very few problems with the G rated tires. A lot of people here have got G rated tires after they had a blowout with the Chinese ST tires and have had no problem since.
Lynwood
Old 01-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #39
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Besides Sailun, I've heard Maxxis is a pretty good tire. I run them on my rig with good luck. On the other hand I didn't have bad luck with my Marathons. In fact, the only tire I've had a quality issue was the infamous Mission tire which for me was the first tire I heard the term China bomb used wth. I know Goodyear Marathon had horror stories but I had no issue with mine, but I think I was their original owner and never abused them.

Besides the understanding they have improved as an ST, since these were OEMs I tend to believe RV transporters abused them. As for Mission, I think they were a bad tire which is why they went out of business.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:35 AM   #40
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Richard Harrison

Hi Iam am new to MOC but have been camping for years.

Last tip I blew 2 copper tires that were only 4 years old The tread was over 75% good and pressure was up.
I have found that most tires blow for one of two reasons. Either a road hazard or over heating . I believe mine was road hazard. When they went, There was another camper a 10 feet up the road with the same problem and I had gone over 800 miles before they blow. They were made in China but so is everything today. They were a good brand (COPPER ) and did not show any signs of stress when I set out.
I have picked up things in my tires you never see when driving. Bolts, Pieces of metal, nails, screws,even had a screw driver in one, on a trip.

When I got home I put 2 more new tires on just to match up the new ones I had to replace on the road.
PS Covering your tires when sitting a long time is highly recommended.
I haven't heard of "Copper" brand tires. Are you possibly referring to "Cooper" ?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote