Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #21
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Since you are considering a used FW had you looked at the 3582. We have a 2012 and glad we brought that year rather than later because the TV will retract and you have a nice window behind it. No desk but I too use the table. The washer dryer is in the closet to the right as you enter the door. You can open the fridge with the slides closed and get to the bathroom as well. Lots of overhead storage, lost on many of the newer coaches. The seating areas will take either a couch or a pair of theater seats. Big island and a lot of counter space. It has been very reliable for the most part. I would encourage you to look at the floor plan.

Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #22
RVingUSA

M.O.C. #14628
We have a 2011 38' 3400. It has the Splendide washer/dryer combo in the closet to the right of the door. The top part of the closet is divided in half, the right side being 3 shelves and the left side for hanging coats and stuff. That works great for us.

Our cons is that the bathroom (toilet area) is a bit small. As you know the sink vanity is in the bedroom area. We wish there was a pocket door or something to close of the bedroom from the bathroom area so that when hubby gets up early to take a shower all the lights and noise don't bother me as I'm still trying to sleep.

I do love the kitchen and all the storage space there is. But if we ever get another one I would prefer an island vs the u-shaped counter

I think our couch is a full size couch. The desk chair can be made into a step ladder and is very heavy. We have a little metal ladder that we use if needed instead of dealing with that chair.

Overall we love our 3400. We took it to Florida from Michigan for the first time last winter and had wonderful trip. I don't think you'll ever find something that is totally perfect. There will always be something that you'll wish was different.

Good luck at your research.
RVingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #23
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5352 View Post
My family has two 2018: 3791RD and 3790RD. Purchased from CW in Myrtle Beach SC.
Super happy with the both 5th Wheels as well as CW. A few minor issues but nothing we could not handle.
I bought my last 3 units at CW in Myrtle! Sean Kwant or Suzie are the best. Have had great service at the 544 location and finding it just as good at the 501 location. Much easier to get a 43' 5er moved around at 501.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #24
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Hey OP!

Long ago we lived near Butler. We also moved UP to a 5er. We will be in St Augustine this year. If you move to the southern NC coast I'd think you were following us,, LOL!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #25
Mtvernon
Established Member

M.O.C. #20617
We are on our second Montana. W/d was a combo in the first one. Everything came out wrinkled to the point of having to iron. Didn’t matter how I set the combo unit, or when I stopped it. Never will we do that again! This montana has a stackable w/d in a separate area from the closet which I love. Very pleased with this unit.
2017 Ford F 350 6.7L
Mtvernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #26
LBMIKE24

M.O.C. #9532
Washer dryer

Don’t buy a combo unit, have had a Splendide combo and was dissatisfied
Went to the stackable vented Splendide and am very statistically
We have full timed for 10 yrs in our 2005 3525RL and r extremely happy
Replaced furniture , TVs an A/C this yr
U need to upgrade to G range real 14 ply tire
4800 lbs per tire end put pressure monitor on them,Amazon has then
I work on RVs and the newer ones ie last 5 yrs r not made as good
Like thinner roofs etc
Nothing u would see until something happens
Good luck
LBMIKE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #27
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Hi kiwi. Well, the reasons. First, you are correct about the all in one, built in genset, fully enclosed plumbing, MUCH easier to maneuver, etc etc. I've had motorhomes on and off for 40 years, B, C, (truck camper snuck in), A, A.

But, my situation has changed. I'm single and full time, and truth be told, the journey isn't as much fun as it used to be. Could never imagine sitting in my pickup listening to the engine when I could be rolling along sharing the view out "the big window", barely able to hear the engine 40 feet behind you. But now it's more the destination, and the room I have when I get there. Going to be snowbirding PA to the south largely, doing some workamping and hopefully sneak in a couple vacations. The first two years I owned my current rig I put 20,000 miles on it. In the last year more like 1000. So I'm thinking the smart money is to eliminate one drivetrain that's expensive to maintain. Since I'm fulltime, storage is not a concern.
Back2PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #28
JWSwick
Established Member

M.O.C. #18339
Montana Owner

We have had our Monty for 3 years now and have had very little go wrong... I had Cummins propane gen added and solar with extra large batt storage and large converter and all work super!! Good luck and Happy Trails!!
JWSwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #29
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Back2PA, I sent u a PM. Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #30
CVNCheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #18393
I've been in a '10 3400RL for 30 months now and have been pretty pleased overall. I added a 7KW ONAN generator and Bigfoot Quadra auto leveling (we do A LOT of dry camping in hot weather on uneven ground) but left my connection for a small Honda generator for those times we don't need A/C (two transfer switches) Love the floorplan and storage.

We've considered the W/D but haven't hit that point where we feel it necessary. (perhaps when we shift to F/T?)

Tires were an issue but that's what I get for putting them off for a year. USAA was good about getting the body damage corrected.

The installed vacuum is worthless and if it wasn't for the fact this rig has a ton of storage already, I'd have probably pulled the fireplace.

With the generator installed, it's tight fitting (4) golf cart batteries but I've seen where others have done some interesting things relocating them.

Next on the list is EasyStart and solar installation.

2010 3400RL
2013 F350 6.7L DRW
CVNCheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #31
biankym89

M.O.C. #22130
Thumbs down My 5 cents regarding my Montana 3950

Probably I had the one build on Wednesday and categorize as LEMON!. Since first day I had just problems. Which notified Keystone about them.
My refrigerator plastic bottom came up by the heat during storage affecting the middle section of the door, just happened a week after warranty, I found a fix but had to spend 2 day, also bottom metal of the refrigerator had a lot of rust. Two tire exploded, lucky minor damage to the metal. Near to have a car go over me when changing the tire. The awning had not enough plastic cord at the body side causing 6 inches to come out of the rail. A lot of corrosion in the bottom structure. The fan blade screw came out and two blades fall down. The fan light screws came out and the lamp hang to the electrical cable. The refrigerator drain is not good and the water came out at the end of the camping causing damage to the bottom wood until learn that I need use towels to dry the interior. The roof needs continuous care to prevent black mold to growth over the support ribs. This does not happened to my previous 3 units. The small drain valve for the cold water leaks. The microwave is very low power and do not compare to my previous 3 units. The auto leveling came out of calibration from factory, 1.5 degrees out (a lot). One of the slides touch the inside top cabinet door and while traveling hit it and broke the door. Not enough space in the pantry. I read about others great experience but my storage neighbor also had 3 exploded tires. Read about Tire Bombs . The backup camera, never worked from the truck, to far for the cheap system.
biankym89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #32
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingUSA View Post
We have a 2011 38' 3400. It has the Splendide washer/dryer combo in the closet to the right of the door. The top part of the closet is divided in half, the right side being 3 shelves and the left side for hanging coats and stuff. That works great for us.

Our cons is that the bathroom (toilet area) is a bit small. As you know the sink vanity is in the bedroom area. We wish there was a pocket door or something to close of the bedroom from the bathroom area so that when hubby gets up early to take a shower all the lights and noise don't bother me as I'm still trying to sleep.

I think our couch is a full size couch. The desk chair can be made into a step ladder and is very heavy.

I know there are others that hate the combo washer but I'm fine with it, have one now and had one in the previous coach. I've gotten where I can get thing out without too many wrinkles, and it's not as if I'm washing my fine evening wear in there! And it's a huge space savings over stacked, which is a bigger deal to me.

Re the small toilet area, I spent several hours in a 3400 at the dealer I'm currently working with (same place I bought my coach and conveniently across the street from where I'm temporarily parked). After really spending some time I'm not keen on the bathroom setup on the 3400. It's just me but there's a chance I'll have the occasional buddy over or one of my daughters, and just having the little sink in the bedroom isn't feeling as "home like" as I'm looking for. I currently have two vanities, one in the toilet area with a decent counter and good cabinets, and a second setup in the bedroom similar to the 3400. (Quite similar to the Everest 348R but my shower is across the aisle.) While I do occasionally use the bedroom sink I could do without, but I really do like the feel of the "bath in a box" as others have called it - toilet, shower and sink in a true seperate room, with a hallway leading to the bedroom. (This is actually the exact setup I had on my 1994 40' Bounder - a side hallway with doors to the bathroom and bedroom.) I realize hallways are a waste of space, but I really like the feel it gives to the rig. This causes me to lean towards the High Country 343RL and aforementioned Everest, along with the Mountaineer 324RLQ and Copper Canyon 360FWQDS, there's also a couple Coachman 364SIQS & 320RLQ (am I allowed to mention those on a Montana forum?). Trying to see if there any examples of these in the Phoenix area so I can have a look, hard to know for sure just looking at pictures.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #33
Ed and Carole
Established Member

M.O.C. #1292
3400 rl

Ed and Carole we have a 2008 3400RL with washer/ dryer combo and 5th airborne pin box. The decals on the 2008's over time faded and peeled. So removed and painted stripes. This unit is for sale along with a 2006 Chevrolet 2500HD with 97 k miles.
Ed and Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #34
tomandkathy

M.O.C. #18078
We have a 2015 Montana 3402 RL. 2 A/Cs , 4 slides, paramount package, moving to Montana package, full time living package, 2 fantastic fans,12 cu ft refrigerator, convection microwave, 3 burner cooktop, oven, electric fireplace, 2 tv's, blue ray player w/5.1 surround sound, queen bed, lots of storage, washer dryer hookups in closet by front door, Goodyear "G" range tires, 2 spares, 6 point hydraulic auto leveling system, one owner, non smokers. This F/W was built 8/14/2014 before a Montana factory interior change in September 2014. Our F/W has more cabinets and storage than the newer models. $39,500.
We can email photos to you.
Call Tom 405.503.6651.
tomandkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #35
Ed and Carole
Established Member

M.O.C. #1292
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/6651043276.html

Here is the link to posting of our RV on Craigslist. We are located 50 miles east of San Francisco.
Ed and Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #36
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkathy View Post
We have a 2015 Montana 3402 RL.
Sounds like a nice rig. Budget requires I look in the 2005-2012 range
Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #37
miton 5052
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21569
Welcome to the forum , this is a great place to gather info, the people are great,you might ck out the 3582RL, lots of counter space and plenty of storage, for the freezer you could put it on a sliding drawer(moryde) . Good Luck on your search.
miton 5052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #38
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petmoose View Post
Since you are considering a used FW had you looked at the 3582. We have a 2012 and glad we brought that year rather than later because the TV will retract and you have a nice window behind it. No desk but I too use the table. The washer dryer is in the closet to the right as you enter the door. You can open the fridge with the slides closed and get to the bathroom as well. Lots of overhead storage, lost on many of the newer coaches. The seating areas will take either a couch or a pair of theater seats. Big island and a lot of counter space. It has been very reliable for the most part. I would encourage you to look at the floor plan.
Thank, always open to new ideas. It looks like a nice unit. I really do want the dedicated desk though, just my thing, I'm tired of eating where my laptop's sitting. Just want a little dedicated office. I've had people over, and first I've had to clear the laptop, external drives, powers supplies etc from the table where we were going to sit. The bigger fridge (same as I have now) is definelty nice, and even though it was an option on many models it seems few got it.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #39
Kiwi2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #22217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2PA View Post
Hi kiwi. Well, the reasons. First, you are correct about the all in one, built in genset, fully enclosed plumbing, MUCH easier to maneuver, etc etc. I've had motorhomes on and off for 40 years, B, C, (truck camper snuck in), A, A.

But, my situation has changed. I'm single and full time, and truth be told, the journey isn't as much fun as it used to be. Could never imagine sitting in my pickup listening to the engine when I could be rolling along sharing the view out "the big window", barely able to hear the engine 40 feet behind you. But now it's more the destination, and the room I have when I get there. Going to be snowbirding PA to the south largely, doing some workamping and hopefully sneak in a couple vacations. The first two years I owned my current rig I put 20,000 miles on it. In the last year more like 1000. So I'm thinking the smart money is to eliminate one drivetrain that's expensive to maintain. Since I'm fulltime, storage is not a concern.
Thank you so much for sharing. Do you think that a tow vehicle for your 5th will be less expensive to maintain than the motor home was? Happy shopping and I hope you get exactly what you want and enjoy it.
Kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #40
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi2000 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing. Do you think that a tow vehicle for your 5th will be less expensive to maintain than the motor home was?

Substantially less. I also have a full size pickup which I tow behind the motorhome so I'm maintaining two drivetrains. I'll be replacing that with a 3/4-1 ton V10 tow vehicle - I doubt there will be much difference in maintenance costs between the pickups. And I will eliminate altogether the chassis/drivetrain maintenance of the motorhome. Still have the "house stuff" to maintain in either case, pretty much leaving tires, brakes and bearings as the only real chassis maintenance on the 5W.