Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Question for those who have replaced slideout hydraulic cylinder

My replacement slideout hydraulic cylinder arrived so now I just have to install it.

Lippert has a pretty good guide to installing a replacement cylinder, but I’m just wondering if you guys know of a better / easier way. I know that often, when working on cars, that the official shop manual sometimes makes the job harder or more complicated than it needs to be.

So, those you who’ve replaced a hydraulic cylinder, did you follow the Lippert instructions or did you find a better way?

Thank you!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I had my main slide hydraulic cylinder rebuilt, and re-installed it a few weeks ago. I read the Lippert instructions, and they are exactly how I did mine. Much easier on the pump to bleed the system before putting a load on it.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:30 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Here's a YT video I have been looking at.

I have a leaking seal on my door side slide. As it turns out, Keystone is replacing under warranty, so I am not going to do the work myself. It seems fairly simple, though.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My cylinders are ok, but have a question. Aren't the cylinders under the coroplast? Are they hard to access on the inner side?
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Mine are under to coroplast, except the ram that extends. You can remove a few nails or screws in the coroplast and access the cylinder. Unfortunately, the service tech cut a cross in the coroplast on mine to get to the cylinder to measure. Apparently, there are 2 different sizes and he had to make sure and order the correct one.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I had my main slide hydraulic cylinder rebuilt, and re-installed it a few weeks ago. I read the Lippert instructions, and they are exactly how I did mine. Much easier on the pump to bleed the system before putting a load on it.
How did you get the slide out cylinder rebuilt? Asking because on my older unit the ends are welded on.. these are the older steel cylinders.. the newer ones out now are aluminum and the ends are alse welded on..

What was your cost to get your slide out cylinder rebuilt?
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
How did you get the slide out cylinder rebuilt? Asking because on my older unit the ends are welded on.. these are the older steel cylinders.. the newer ones out now are aluminum and the ends are alse welded on..

Looking at the Rod end it appears "I think" that there is a screw on silver end cap with hydraulic fitting but not sure... If so I would assume this end unscrews so the entire guts can be removed and seals replaced?

Old 12-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Looking at the Rod end it appears "I think" that there is a screw on silver end cap with hydraulic fitting but not sure... If so I would assume this end unscrews so the entire guts can be removed and seals replaced?

There is an end ring on the cylinder ram side. It screws off. I've read rest they were welded on. But mine wasn't. Don't know how ther could weld on a cylinder without melting the seals.

It cost me $135 to have mine rebuilt. About 1/2 of what a new one costs
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
OzMonties
Established Member

M.O.C. #22325
Quote:
There is an end ring on the cylinder ram side. It screws off. I've read rest they were welded on. But mine wasn't. Don't know how ther could weld on a cylinder without melting the seals.

It cost me $135 to have mine rebuilt. About 1/2 of what a new one costs

With the Steel welded cylinder, the seals for the rod and piston are replaceable, there is a removable end plate on the Rod end of this type of cylinder.
On the new replacement cylinder shown in the video, the end caps on the cylinder barrel are not welded but Crimped so no welding is necessary. This type of cylinder is Not serviceable meaning it can not be rebuilt/re-sealed, which is probably a good thing as Lippert use inferior quality non chrome plated steel for the cylinder rods that rust rapidly.
OzMonties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #10
OzMonties
Established Member

M.O.C. #22325
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
My replacement slideout hydraulic cylinder arrived so now I just have to install it.

Lippert has a pretty good guide to installing a replacement cylinder, but I’m just wondering if you guys know of a better / easier way. I know that often, when working on cars, that the official shop manual sometimes makes the job harder or more complicated than it needs to be.

So, those you who’ve replaced a hydraulic cylinder, did you follow the Lippert instructions or did you find a better way?

Thank you!

If it were me making this video, I’d have shown a much simpler way of setting the stroke on the cylinder, see pic attached.
Measure first the rear smaller dimension as shown on the top representation of the cylinder, followed by the larger with the rod retracted. Them measure the next with the rod extended, record your findings then set your new cylinder to the same values.
If your New cylinder is different in construction to you old one as shown in the video, my method provides you a firm base line to setting it to the same values to ensure the new cylinder doesn’t rip the side wall out of your FW.

Bleeding! You will need to bleed Both sides of the cylinder, failure to get the bulk of the air out could result in slide creep, meaning the slide may creep Open when you need it to stay shut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	962C4AF6-3F5C-4581-8C70-79023918A5E1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	10840  
OzMonties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I have replaced one slide hyd cylinder... I did not prebleed prior to install.. Installed the cylinder... set the rod end adjustment to match old one and cycled the slide out a few times to purge air out.. system is self bleeding...

After a few cycles I verified the slide full open and full close positions.. Required not further adjustment to the rod end