Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
ClockDr
Established Member

M.O.C. #18581
Fulltiming question

Looking for a Keystone 5th wheel to full time in. I have a GMC 2500hd diesel that the tow rating is 15,200 lbs. I want to use this truck as my tow vehicle. Looking for something 35 feet or longer that my truck can safely pull. Would prefer a Montana but don’t think my truck is big enough. I’ve looked at some High Countrys but am wondering if the quality is good and would hold up to full timing. Just wife and I. No pets. Appreciate some feedback please. Doesn’t have to be new but no older than 2016.

ClockDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
You have hit on two hot button issues frequently and vigorously debated on the forum. In no time at all you will be baraged by a multitude of opinions. With regard to your truck make sure that you note not only the towing capacity but the payload and axle limits as these numbers will all come into play.

If you are so inclined you can search the forum for both topics and get a head start. Best of luck.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
I tow my 37' High Country with my Ford F250 with no problems
Old 12-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ok this is going to absolutely STUN some folks on here: If your going full time, I encourage you to consider build quality strongly and probably steer clear of the High Countries. And that is from someone who owns one. We purchased ours while we were weekend warriors with no thought whatsoever for full time living in it. While the unit is ideal for that purpose and has what I consider to be the best floor plan in the business for active empty nesters with toys, it does NOT have the highest quality build. The High Countries are lighter for a reason!

Having said that and even though this is a Montana website, I will say there are better built trailers on the market. IF you can afford one that is. Our next unit will more likely be a custom built New Horizon. NH build quality is so far above any other brand that it really isn't fair to compare them BUT you pay for it! A NH will also incur an upgrade to our already 1 ton diesel dually.

Basically what I am telling you is that a heavier trailer while not good for your lighter truck will far outlast a lighter unit you can tow with that truck. And if your asking me the durability of the camper if your full timing is paramount! Wisdom would suggest you need to get the best built trailer you can (even if you have to go gently used) and either trade in the 3/4 ton for something larger OR be willing to live in a smaller camper. There are several exceptions to the above. One that comes to mind is if you plan on staying for a very long timeframe in one place. While I am not advocating doing anything unsafe, pulling a heavy camper a short distance ONCE (or better having someone do it for you), may allow you to buy the heavier camper and still keep the lighter truck?

Best of luck to you.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I don't want to fuel any type of debate on Montana vs High Country, or any other fiver brand comparison for full timing. Even though we used to full time in two different Montana fivers, now we "don't have any skin" in that game so to speak.

I think the first thing anyone considering a full time lifestyle has to consider is what type of full timers will they be? Will they travel on a regular basis and roll up 10,000 miles or more a year? Or will they spend 6 months up north and 6 months down south and put 3,000 miles or less on a year?

To me that should determine how much of an RV you should invest in and what type of TV should be pulling it. Obviously if you are in a heavier better insulated RV you will fair better but you would need the correct RV that can tow it and not always be maxed out to the limits. On the other side, if you don't plan on really traveling much and can keep your extra weight down as a full timer then maybe a lighter RV and a less tow vehicle can get the job done.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
What’s going to hurt you is your GCWR, your Carry capacity your truck has, look at your door sticker on the drivers side. My 2016 Ram 4x4 Megacab was over weight with our 3160 Montana which is 35.5” and at that time I was not doing full time like we are now.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The trailer you seek will require a truck with higher load carrying capacity. Good thing you asked the question you did. Check the numbers before buying. Some here have no regard for being legally liable for driving around overloaded. Others do care. There is lots of experience here. Make an informed decision.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Old 12-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
The Veteran RVR

M.O.C. #22782
Fireguy nailed it.
You speak of safety, then not only look at tow weight, but look at max truck payload, max truck axle weight. Also look at your tire weight limit, which is the easiest to fix.

Those that say, "I've been towing 22,000 lbs with my F150 for 20 years, and never had a problem"....You don't know them and how far, in reality, they've towed. Plus, they'll never admit to an accident or damage.
The Veteran RVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I can see we are going to need a lot more pop corn for this! I'L be right back
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Remember, they towed the space shuttle with a Toyota...
Old 12-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Even if your truck can carry the pin weight of a large 5ver your tires can't. SWR trucks are limited by their rear tires.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #13
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockDr View Post
Looking for a Keystone 5th wheel to full time in. I have a GMC 2500hd diesel that the tow rating is 15,200 lbs. I want to use this truck as my tow vehicle. Looking for something 35 feet or longer that my truck can safely pull. Would prefer a Montana but don’t think my truck is big enough. I’ve looked at some High Countrys but am wondering if the quality is good and would hold up to full timing. Just wife and I. No pets. Appreciate some feedback please. Doesn’t have to be new but no older than 2016.
We are not full time yet but we have met a few couples full timing in travel trailers. It really depends on your needs & finances, the key is to have the correct TV, more is always better & I prefer a DRW. The right equipment & proper maintenance pays off in the long run. I wouldn't be as concerned with brand, just get what you like and set it up correctly & have fun.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't be afraid to trade your truck for a used one that will do the job. If you're going to enjoy full timing you need to pick the rig you want to live ALL the time in and then work out the TV.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
2X what Dick said.
Buy the rig you want to live in. As you will spend a whole lot more time in it than in the TV. Then get a TV that works with the rig. When I started RVing I had a friend tell me to buy the rig first then the truck. A wise man.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #16
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
your truck will be fine. there are a lot of 3/4 ton trucks pulling montanas. stay below 40 feet if you want to go to national parks and many state parks stay below 35 feet...might have to look at another brand for that. but, 3120 or 3130 would work.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
RPM3402

M.O.C. #17240
Stick to the numbers

It sounds cliche, but stick to the numbers with regard to what your trick is rated for and what your trailer weighs. All “it will be fine” aside, if something happens and you’re outside those numbers, you have serious liability issues which your insurance carrier may leave you hanging on. Stick to the numbers. That’s the correct answer to your question.
RPM3402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #18
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
first off your insurance will cover you regardless. you can confirm by contacting your insurance carrier. As for liability, you have whatever your limit is...any thing over that you come out of your pocket.

starting out, I would, again, just use what you have; a 3/4 ton.

Unless you have lots of money I'd start out with the truck you have.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #19
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
first off your insurance will cover you regardless. you can confirm by contacting your insurance carrier. As for liability, you have whatever your limit is...any thing over that you come out of your pocket.

starting out, I would, again, just use what you have; a 3/4 ton.

Unless you have lots of money I'd start out with the truck you have.

I realize that this is something you believe and may very well be what you have experienced. However I know of situations where the carrier has denied coverage due to "negligence". I am also of the belief that if the insurance company can find a way not to pay they will. Just look at all the Sandy storm victims and their horror stories.

If the OP does his due diligence and verifies his specific scenario that would be the best advice I could give.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
The truck you have is not rated for a pin weight the trailer has. Your gvwr is likely under 13000. Youll be over. You can always add bags or springs to the 250. As far as insurance not covering you if you’re overweight, they will. As far as liability, anyone can be sued for anything. Now, the Montana’s. My experience is that the Montana we own, the 2015 3610 legacy is lacking in quality, big time. If we were in the market we’d look for a used Mobile Suites, or a used K-z Escalade. You want to stay away from any company who’s parent company is Thor. Owners have had roofing problems. Montana does not use a one piece roof under the cover. Staples come thru the material. Our Carpet is worn after 2 years of use. Fenders outside have no support so ours flap going down the road. Our slide gears stripped. Axles not aligned so it eats tires. Along with a NON SUPPORTIVE CUSTOMER care people I won’t buy another. Many love theirs and I’m happy for them. A rear wall on one Montana came completely off the back . All I can say is,, is what I have said.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote