Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Passport America

Can anyone tell me about PassPort America RV Club. I cannot get into it's web site...

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I'm not to familiar with it, but I believe it's similiar to the good sam club.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:19 AM   #3
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
Try this link.

http://www.passport-america.com/Default.asp
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'll be darned, RVBuddy. I didn't know about that link, but it works. I always used http://www.passportamerica.com , which takes you to a different page, but for the same Passport America.

Passport America is not really a club. It's a discount program. PA signed up 1200 rv parks around the country who agree to give 50% discounts on their rates. Most have some kind of restrictions, like 1 night only, or up to 3 nights, or "not on race weekends" or "not on holiday weekends", or only from September thru April.

Some have no restrictions. Out near Yosemite National Park we stayed in a park where we got the 50% off for our entire two week stay. I believe Glenn and Lorraine recently got 50% off on a 6-night stay in Florida.

These parks run the gamut from excellent parks to the pits. We've been in some that are very, very nice and we've seen some we would not stay in more than one night.

I think the annual fee is $40, or maybe $44 now. We found we recoup our fee in the first month of travel. It only takes 3 or 4 nights to save that much.

We also belong to Good Sam and Escapees, as well as Passport America. I find there are many parks that give all three discounts. Not at the same time, of course. PA gives the most discount (50%) so I check their directory first. If nothing where I want to be, then I check Escapees (15% discount although there are some super dry camping rates here), then Good Sam (10%). All three have paper directories as well as the online directories. Good Sam discounts are indicated in the Trailer Life directory rather than having a separate directory. You have to buy that one.

We also belong to KOA's discount program (10%) but we find only a few KOA's we like and their prices seem to start too high so I'm going to let that one expire when it runs out next January.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate. Maybe some others can jump in and add more information.

If you are a weekender/vacationer, PA may not pay for itself unless you find a park for your vacation that will give you the discount for your entire stay. If fulltiming or extended trips, then there's a good chance it would be a good deal for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Based on all the comments in the forum I decided to join for a year and try it. Planning a trip to Kansas the end of this month so I will give it try.

They sent me a complete catalog of locations.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:52 PM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
We belong to Passport America and are pleased. We recouped our annual membership fee within first month.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This past February we renewed our Passport America membership even though we would not be using it until May. Well we are only at May 13th and we already saved $172.00.
Here's the breakdown..
6 nights at Elite Resorts in Salt Springs..regular $32.00 a night---PassPort $16.00== Saved $96.00
4 nights at Briarcliffe RV Resort in Myrtle Beach..regular $38.00---PassPort $19.00== Saved $76.00

Deduict the $44.00 Passport membership fee from the $172 and the total Savings are $128.00 and we still have 9 months before our next renewal.

BTW-If anyone is interested in joining PassPort America please reference this number CW335639 and save a fellow MOCer, me, a few bucks on his next renewal.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I recently stayed at an RV park in Palm Harbor, Fla...Without Passport our cost would have been 75.00 for 3 nights, it was 37.00 with Passport. Our grandson is staying at the park in his dad's fifth wheel, while on Coast Guard Duty at the Air Base there. The camp host ask if we were members of Passport and we told her no, she replied that we were for our stay there. We do plan to Join now...I highly recommend the Park, it's Bay Aire RV Park on Alt 19 in Palm Harbor. I think it's always full in the winter season. The sites are rather small but good help in putting your rig on the site.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We are trying to decide between Passport America and Happy Camper. Can anyone offer an experiential comparison?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:50 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Stiles, I feel that PassPort far and away is a better deal. PPA's website is simple to use and they give a ton more info about their campgrounds than HC gives. I also believe PPA has a much larger campground membership and most of the HC members are also PPA participating campgrounds. I just recently joined HC and have not received my membership packet in the mail as yet so I can't comment of that part but PPA does give you a campground listing with all the pertinent information just as their website does. I only joined HC because I did come across a couple campgrounds that were not PPA members. I will now keep it for a year and see if it comes up to PPA.

I guess what I am saying is if I was going to join just one of them it would have to be PassPort America.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I'd be interested in your initial impression of HC when you receive the membership packet. I recently got the invitation to join HC but have been holding off until I can find out if I'd just be duplicating what I already have with PA.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:56 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have only had PA for about three years but it pays for itself in one or two stays.Had Good Sam for a long time and gave it up.You can get the same discount with KOA. If there is A PA Campground in the area we are going to we will stay there.Have not really had a real bad one..Small, old, yes..but not bad. We will join escapees when we travel more.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote