Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #221
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
rickfox,

It is also my understanding that Tireco is the sole importer and distributor of Mission and FreeStar plus a few other Chinese brand tires. I don't know how US law would apply to a sole importer/distributor but I think eventually upon failure after failure that they are replacing tires or refunding customers for failed tires they could be held liable for distributing an unsafe product. If Tireco is financially owned by the Chinese companies then it becaomes very clear.
I'm presently running on replacement Freestar tires and I agree they do look more rugged than the Missions. I would not allow myself to beleive that any ethical company would replace Mission tires with a tire that also was unreliable. I may have made a mistake in thinking that Tireco was an ethical company.

Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #222
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
According to their website, Tireco is the exclusive distributor of Nankang tires in the US. I know the Missions were Nankang brand, not sure about the others.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #223
mstreeter
Established Member

M.O.C. #8713
Are we talking about the Marathon tires? that is what came on my 2008 Montanna.
Thanks
Mike
mstreeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #224
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
No, we are not talking about the Marathon tires. Mission tires is the subject.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #225
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
The Freestar brand still shows up on the Tireco web site:

http://www.tireco.com/brands.htm

My understanding was that the Mission tire brand was discontinued and the Freestar tire brand took it's place but are still made by the same company Nankang. Nankang is based in Taiwan but they have factories in China and Taiwan. In my experience products made in Taiwan are typically better than those in China due to the fact that Taiwanese are typically much more experienced. However, higher labor costs in Taiwan have driven allot of the manufacturing to mainland China.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #226
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Desert RVer

The Freestar brand still shows up on the Tireco web site:

http://www.tireco.com/brands.htm
They are listed, but they aren't clickable links like most of the rest of the brands listed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #227
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I agree. I suspect Tireco and Nankang are deliberately trying to limit access to information consistent with changing the tire brand from Mission to Freestar. This all smacks of a coverup and should be exposed.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #228
hoganc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9305
Send a message via Yahoo to hoganc
Three Mission tires on my 2007 342pht have tread seps. First one threw tread then a blowout. Shreded the metal lower side and broke the fender skirt. Luckily no loss of control. All three failed tires are serial week 1306 and size is 235/80R-16. If you have similar troubles contact me, if not take a good look at your tires.
hoganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #229
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I've been reading this thread and had a thought...

My Big Sky has NO margin for error in tire load. Tires are rated at 3500 lbs. max and my primitive math skills make that out to 14000 lbs on the wheels. My GVWR is 16535 with 2535 on the pin (straight from the NHTSA ratings stickers). That means my tires are running on empty. No margin at all.

What if my Big Sky is not loaded equally, left to right? With three slides on the left that accommodate a king size mattress, a kitchen, and an entertainment center and one slide on the right that has a couch and table, I'm guessing there's no way the trailer is balanced left to right.

If I'm heavier on the left by a few hundred pounds then my driver's side tires are overloaded.

Anybody ever weigh their rig by keeping one side on the scales at a time? Oddly enough, on the Michelin site they recommend going on the scales in such a way as to check side to side balance.

Is there evidence of problems dominating one side of our rigs?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #230
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
pbahlin, First you must make sure you are at gross weight before worrying about being overweight. Your camping style will determine what your weight may be. Also, many aircraft Fixed Base Operators use portable scales to weigh aircraft. They can put scales under each tire. You might want to seek out one of these for weighing. Also the RV Safety Education Foundation has a means of weight each wheel also. You could check their website and see where they might be in the future.

The drivers side seems to be a little heavier due to the kitchen on those sides.

Hope this helps somewhat......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #231
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Well, one of my friends here pushed his luck with the Missions on his 07 3400RL. I had told him last year about all the Mission failures when he was talking about a trip to MI. He didn't go to MI, but decided a week ago to take a short trip here in TX. Driver's side rear separated, resulting in lots of damage.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #232
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Bahlin, your assumption is correct, one side of the trailer normally is heavier than the other. I learned this at the recent rally where they had some folks weighing trailers and tow vehicles. Our trailer (3500RL) was very close, in fact the man doing the weighing said it was the closest he had seen that day, but he stated Montana's are almost always considerably heavier on the kitchen side. Our kitchen is located in the middle of the trailer with the stove/sink/microwave on one side and the refrigerator/dining table on the other.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #233
Montana_7872
Established Member

M.O.C. #7872
We avoided a major problem. Stopped in Kingman Az for fuel and noticed bludges on our Mission tires. We have a 2008 Montana fifth wheel- 29 footer with about 10,000 miles towed. Pulled into a tire shop and found all four tires were failing. Once the tires were off we could see the bubbles where the tread was separating - it was just a matter of time until they blew. Very careful about keeping them at recommended pressure and trailer is not heavily loaded. Replaced the tires - got the numbers off the old ones and took photos - once we settle in I need to see if Keystone will help me get some financial relief. Suggestions?
Montana_7872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #234
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Call Tireco (US Mission Distributor) in California. Keystone/Montana will just refer you to them anywy. The Mission Waranty is 4 years so you should be able to get a substantial recovery from them. Find out the DOT numbers off the tires and also know the size before you call.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #235
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
When we order a new Montana,can we specify that we will not accept it with Mission tires? Money talks.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #236
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
The best way to get Money to talk is not to order a Montana if they still are using Mission tires. I am amazed that Mission tires were still being used on 2008 Montana models. I suspect if Montana is still using Montana tires your local dealer would have to switch them out.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #237
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dennish

We avoided a major problem. Stopped in Kingman Az for fuel and noticed bludges on our Mission tires. We have a 2008 Montana fifth wheel- 29 footer with about 10,000 miles towed. Pulled into a tire shop and found all four tires were failing. Once the tires were off we could see the bubbles where the tread was separating - it was just a matter of time until they blew. Very careful about keeping them at recommended pressure and trailer is not heavily loaded. Replaced the tires - got the numbers off the old ones and took photos - once we settle in I need to see if Keystone will help me get some financial relief. Suggestions?
Dennish,
I believe TireCo will want the bad tires. At least a number of folks have reported that. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #238
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
I put TPM's on our '07 3500. At least I can keep a close eye on the Cheap Mission's If they make one more winter trip they will be replaced.
Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #239
jckrie

M.O.C. #1818
Keystone must be listening - we just picked up our 2010 3455SA on Saturday and the tires are Goodyear.
jckrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #240
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jckrie

Keystone must be listening - we just picked up our 2010 3455SA on Saturday and the tires are Goodyear.
Marathons? If so, don't take great comfort in that fact. Their track record is not much better (if any) than the Missions.

I suspect the real reason Keystone switched suppliers on the tires was a result of litigation between Tireco and Keystone involving an earlier tire recall.