Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
propane regulator

I have been have problems with this one pictured.
Have read discussions on this want to buy the the red marshalls regulator, just want to ask those that have been down this road. So the red marshall regulator will replace this the picture I am posting? Also is this, the one pictured and auto switch? I have also learned that marshall declared bankruptcy. Anyway looking for info and tips

Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
i never knew this was auto change. My left side was never hook up due to leak and could nver find the propewr hose. So i changed it each time lol still need info on new regulator
Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The red regulator valve is a different valve just off the opposite side tank, at least on mine. The switch over regulator valve your picture shows is something altogether different. Mine looks different than yours as it has more of a dial selection knob rather than a handle for the switchover. Mine is an auto switch over, not sure about yours.
The switch over valves are available from a number of web sites including makariosrv.com whom I have had successful buys from.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have what you have. The picture shows the automatic changeover model. Mine is now stuck where the indicator is in the halfway mark and only the right side works. I do need to replace mine because only one side works. I have not done this yet and when the tank runs out I swap it with the other one on the other side.

The red Marshall regulator you are talking about is different and is described by BB_TX perfectly. It is on the opposite side with the tank on that side. The one from the factory is an 18psi unit. I have already replaced this one with a 30 psi unit because the 18psi unit might not be enough and this is the recommended swap out. This is different from the autochange regulator that is in your picture.

The level on the changeover is to force the propane supply to one tank or the other when it runs out. For example, in your picture the lever is to the left and let's imagine propane is flowing from that tank (on the opposite side of this one). Then the tank runs out. The regulator then automatically switches to the other tank. Then you must manually move the lever to the right (where the propane is already flowing) so you can then disconnect the empty tank on the other side and get it refilled.

In my case the left side of the regulator is failed no matter what I do with the lever which is why it will be replaced. I have already tried every debug attempt suggested by MOC members to determine or assist with the flow. The failing point always seems to be the left side of the regulator even when manually manipulated. I haven't replaced it yet because we don't go out much and I'm content with swapping tanks for now. When I get tired of doing that, I'll replace it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I just had some issues with my regulator and the dealer replaced it. But guess what I still had a problem. After looking around I found that the rubber gas line on the living room slide that goes to the refrigerator and stove was getting kinked every time the slide was brought in. So for those of you that wind up with a no flow code you might want to check that the hose isn't kinked.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Toxictretr

M.O.C. #11163
I have the same one as you do on my 05. I did replace mine last summer as it was making noise. I looked into it and it there was a recall on them I think on 04 ones. Thats about the time they went under. Anyhow you can find that same one manufactured from marshals on line. I think I paid around $35 and it was easy to replace. I found the same one at my local Ace hardware the other day for not much more. Hope that helps.
Toxictretr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Toxictretr

M.O.C. #11163
Oh, one other thing. I think you should use yellow Teflon tape. Not the white. Yellow is for gas/propane. I do a lot of pipe fitting with the white but when it comes to any gas fittingsI use the yellow. I have now idea why the yellow is for gas so please don't ask.
Toxictretr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
My 04 NEVER had the red regulator on it. I have never had a problem.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
well im a little confused the picture i posted is the only regulator i have on my gas lines. I will stick my head around the rig again but, im sure i only have the picture i posted
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
I have tanks on both sides and have always had to switch tanks by switching them as my hose on the oppisite side leaked so i capped it a while back when i removed the propane hose. I have never seen another regulator does anyone have pic of it?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Earlier Montana's had no red regulator, if yours had one it would be on the side opposite the automatic regulator. If you don't have one don't worry about it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

I have tanks on both sides and have always had to switch tanks by switching them as my hose on the oppisite side leaked so i capped it a while back when i removed the propane hose. I have never seen another regulator does anyone have pic of it?
This is the famous red regulator valve that is often discussed.
Here is an two stage auto failover valve that may be what you need.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Earlier Montana's had no red regulator, if yours had one it would be on the side opposite the automatic regulator. If you don't have one don't worry about it.
thanks 8.1