Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Northeast Region
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 02:03 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
With Sandy and Frank's permission......

A couple weeks ago there had been a post on the MOC about 2X4 TV's verses 4X4 TV's. Well on Monday morning the 4X4's proved their value.
Those at the rally will remember Frank's beautiful International MDT....

Well as Frank was readying to hook up and head for home he found the ground to be very soft and sandy in front of his trailer. With no weight on the rear of his TV he just sat and spun the tires making it impossible to back under the pin. It was at this time that FredG and his 4X4 came to the rescue. Frank was able to drive his TV out of the way while Fred hooked up to Frank's Monty. Fred placed the transfer into 4 low and pulled the rig onto more solid ground. It wasn't until after the fact that Fred and I realized we hadn't had our camera and therefore we have no pics.

While I am discussing TV's the manufacturers rally tally was as follows...
GMC/Chev.....6
Ford.........5
Dodge........3
International.1

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
So there you have it, you really dont need to have 4 wheel drive. One of your friends will have one when you need one. LOL!

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
If I knew you guys were going to have problems getting out I would have stayed in case you needed my FORD to pull the MDT and Dodge out! Just kidding...!

Steve
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:02 AM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
That's what Glenn said! The Dodge didn't have a problem, it walked right out of the site.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:37 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FredG

That's what Glenn said! The Dodge didn't have a problem, it walked right out of the site.

Fred
What I actually said was "We hook the IH to the Monty, the Dodge to the IH, the Ford to the Dodge and My Chevy to the FORD and I pull you all out."
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Shoot, Glenn, a big lawn tractor can do that! My brother once pulled a stuck school bus with a lawn tractor. All it really takes is good traction!

I also found another time the 4x4 comes in handy. When I need to pull the Montana up on several layers of blocks or maybe pull the truck's rear wheels up on blocks if we need to level and are not unhitching. When in 4x2 the engine will rev a little while the torque converter does its slip thing or whatever is happening. 4x4 low just pops it up on the blocks with no fanfare. Not a big deal but it's nice. We've also had a couple of times where we'd not have got out of a site without 4x4. And awhile back we pulled over on a grassy shoulder to change our route on the gps software and I forgot about all the rain they'd had. 4x2 just spun the rear wheels, both of them. 4x4 pulled us right out. If not for the 4x4 we'd have had to call Good Sam ERS to get us out of there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
As much as I hate to mention this, I had to pull my 2004 Chevy 2x4 and the MONTANTA together out of my driveway leading up to the barn with my 1992 4x4 Chevy. with it's 396,000 miles on it. I will be trading the 2004 in on a new 2006 4x4 Chevy. real soon.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Frank and Sandy,

Sorry to hear of your predicament. We were out and about that day.

When Frank was giving me a tour of his rig. I was checking out the cab and hitch area. I may of bounced too hard on and off his truck, and got his sinking started. I doubt it but, any ole excuse will work.

Thanks for being a good sport and allowing Glenn to post the story. as embarrassing as it may of been at the time. I've tried to do things in 2wd before that just wasn't going to happen. It is still possible to get a 4wd stuck too. Been there done that, on trails in mud. Jacking, blocking and winching work wonders. Just remember to anchor the winch cable to something stronger than the load you are trying to move.

It was a pleasure to meet you both.

I hope you had a safe and uneventful trip back to MA

Chris
Old 06-13-2005, 05:10 AM   #9
fmsunoco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2384
Thanks again to Fred and Glenn for all their help.I may not have 4/4 to pull out of sand or mud but maybe I can pull you up the big hills some time!!!!Frank and Sandy
fmsunoco is offline   Reply With Quote