Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Awnings

Hi all, I am using the awning tie downs that attach to the corkscrew stakes and I am wondering how high of wind and wind gusts will they withstand. My wife gets nervous when the awning is out and the winds start blowing, even if they are mild. I have been erring on the side of caution, and also because I don't want to hear "I told you so" if we loose the awning to the wind.

On a side note... I have seen DW and DH referenced in posts, I don't want to seem dumb but what do they mean?

Thanks

Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
DW=Dear Wife DH=Dear Husband I don't take any chances and if the winds are going to gust over 25mph I take them in. You never know if the weather folks are completely right or if the direction of the wind can pack a lot more air under them than on other days.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When it’s windy I get my awning up especially the electric one on my High Country.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have been traveling in the West (Tx, NM, CO, AZ, and Ut) for the past 6 years, I am very cautious about the awning being extended. Unless I just forget, I have to be at the RV when it is extended. In Santa Fe, the RV park we use--Santa Fe Skies-advises RVers to close their awnings if they leave for a trip outside the park. Being on a hill, the wind does blow from virtually every direction. But at our favorite CO campground-Blue Spruce near Lake Vallecito--I will leave our awning out much more but still roll it closed it we are leaving the park. My awning is electric.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
common sense. and I learned to listen to the wife...life is easier that way.

and yes, i lost an awning when I said 'don't worry about it.'
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
awning problem

At the Goshen rally one of the awning manufacturers said not!! to use tie downs as they created a lot of pull on the fasteners used to connect the awning to the side of the trailer and could lead to failure at that point.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I never leave the rig with the awnings out - they can be rolled up in less than 60 seconds. They also come in if the winds are above 10-15 knots.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #8
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Thanks for all the answers. I agree it’s better to err on the side of caution.
Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Error on the side of caution

After a mishap with our last rig I choose to error on the side of caution. We didn't loose the awning but twisted it a little and it was a reminder every time we put the out or in. The Montana slides seem a lot sturdier but still pull them in when we leave, go to bed, or anything over a soft breeze.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #10
Markra
Established Member

M.O.C. #18600
We got hit by a dust devil in New Mexico with our awning out. We were lucky that it only twisted both arms and didn’t hurt the canvas or tube. Still cost a lot to repair and was quite a chore to move the rv until we could get it fixed since we were on a long term trip.
Markra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
AJP

M.O.C. #24788
Awening

No worth the risk, if the awning material survives the high wind you are still putting your mounts under stress that can result in costly repair or replacement. This lesson was learned by a fellow camper that secured in the same manor. Had to have all hardware replaced along with awning fabric. Weather reported sustained 25 mph winds with gust up to 35mph. No way to know exactly how strong the wind was there, just the results. Hope this helps you in your decision. Not a silly question, the silly one is the one you didn’t ask. Happy camping
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote