Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Horrible smell when flushing

Neighbor had it in his 2018 Montana. He replaced the valve under the sink twice. Many chemicals and hours of flushing. Next a hose on the roof nd water on. Nothing worked. No poop pile either.
Easy fix! I saw he had not trashed the Thetford junk toilet. There is a plastic vacuum valve at the top rear. A $35 kit and 10 minutes.
The bad part is he said any more problems he comes to me 1st. If he doe not order a Dometic 320 this week Ill block his #. Not really but I told him so.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Neighbor had it in his 2018 Montana. He replaced the valve under the sink twice. Many chemicals and hours of flushing. Next a hose on the roof nd water on. Nothing worked. No poop pile either.
Easy fix! I saw he had not trashed the Thetford junk toilet. There is a plastic vacuum valve at the top rear. A $35 kit and 10 minutes.
The bad part is he said any more problems he comes to me 1st. If he doe not order a Dometic 320 this week Ill block his #. Not really but I told him so.
OK, I don't get it. What has the valve under the sink got to do with the "junk" Thetford toilet, valve at the top rear of the toilet and poop pile?

All this for a smell when flushing. If the ceiling fan is on and you leave the flush open for more than a few seconds it will suck fumes out of the black tank. What's new.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
OK, I don't get it. What has the valve under the sink got to do with the "junk" Thetford toilet, valve at the top rear of the toilet and poop pile?

All this for a smell when flushing. If the ceiling fan is on and you leave the flush open for more than a few seconds it will suck fumes out of the black tank. What's new.
No, fan kept off and not holding tank open. Just stated all he did before I changed the plastic in back of the toilet that fixed the problem. Just another problem with Thetford. Most check this last.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:56 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We still have the Thetford toilet and the only time we have an odor is if the fan is on.

On a 2 year old TT we bought used, I encountered another problem best described as a poop pyramid though in that case, it was a poop mountain range. I was, after many many gallons of reverse flushing, a tank wand along with several hours unable to get rid of the odor though the poop was gone. That poop pile had actually backed or sloshed up into the underside of the toilet, evidently when I towed it home. The smell was actually in the plastic of the (Thetford)toilet and no amount of scrubbing, bleach or soap would eradicate. Only a new toilet cured that problem. Yes, I know the seal should have prevented the problem - but didn't.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I would have started with a change in diet
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
i do not know the brand of the factory or its replacement toilet. (only replaced as i was told the parts need to replace the seal were not made any longer. (rv new in 2001).
but i have never had a "stink", but then i use enzymes in my tanks. also keep the tanks cleaned out real good when i dump. then a bit of water (1/4 to 1/3 of a tank) and add enzymes. even for storage.
dump and rinse before each trip.
tanks are clean.... no i will not drink water out of them. but clean.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I would have started with a change in diet
thats good!

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote