Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Slyvania Microwave Help

I searched for a thread on this but couldn't find one. I was going to post in the cooking section but it seemed reserved for the lassies.

How do you use the convection oven mode? Can metal (E.G. muffin tray) be used in the oven when it is used in this or the grill mode? The owners manual is useless so I am hoping someone here can help.

RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
It's just like an electric oven or toaster when in those 2 modes, metal utensils are ok. Not for use when using the convection/grill plus microwave.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I would like some common sense advice on using this option too. I've had my rig since November and still haven't used the convection option for fear of blowing up the microwave, I have no idea what is OK to use in it and what isn't. Mine doesn't have a grill mode, though...
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
convection is hot air like your oven. with convection the air is blown with a fan inside the oven. This blowing air moves the cooler air away from the food and or the container the food is in.
By doing this the food cooks faster. use any type of oven safe container. Now convection/microwave is convection and microwave at the same time, so microwave rules apply.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
So if you are using the convection setting only, you can put a metal pan in there? I just want to be absolutely sure I understand.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
yes. No microwave no worry. It's an oven with a fan.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I looked up this question about using metal in a convection/microwave from www.ask.com and found this:

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=metal+in+co...-cooking-1.htm

If the link does not work I will copy and paste the comments for the question, "Can I use metal in my RV convection/microwave oven". I think this summarizes answers for 3 modes of an RV convection/microwave combination.

On edit, here's the question and the answer from ask.com:

Question
Help! We are getting a new RV that does not have a regular oven - only a convection microwave(also a 2 burner stove top). My question is: can I use my metal baking pans/cookie sheets in the convection microwave? Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hey Diane, thanks for the query....you actually have a regular oven in your RV and it's your convection/microwave. You can cook using only convection (use all your metal pots and pans) or microwave (use plastic, glass, or ceramic) or combination microwave/convection (use glass or ceramic or shallow metal pans). If using combination cooking I advise you cook the item, for example a whole chicken, by microwave until it's done, 165F, and then use the highest temperature of convection (no preheating necessary)to finish the cooking so you have a brown and crispy skin. Total time for a 3 pound bird about 30 minutes. My new cookbook, JumpStart Cooking concentrates on this technique. Check my website, jumpstartcooking.com for more tips.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
So I gave it a try using the preheat function. Then, as directed by the manual, when it beeped signaling it had reached the right temperature, I punched in the time for cooking and popped in my metal muffin pan. As soon as I pushed "Start" the sparks began to fly. Pushed cancel real quick. After a few careful repetitions with a glass of water I discovered that you have to hit convection again after the preheat or it defaults back to microwave. The manual wasn't clear about this. It seems to have been written by someone whose first language was not English.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

So I gave it a try using the preheat function. Then, as directed by the manual, when it beeped signaling it had reached the right temperature, I punched in the time for cooking and popped in my metal muffin pan. As soon as I pushed "Start" the sparks began to fly. Pushed cancel real quick. After a few careful repetitions with a glass of water I discovered that you have to hit convection again after the preheat or it defaults back to microwave. The manual wasn't clear about this. It seems to have been written by someone whose first language was not English.
I had this exact same experience, but fortunately all I had in the microwave was tinfoil so it wasn't horrible. I agree about the manual. Tempting to rewrite it ourselves and put a copy up here for downloading.