Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
ChuckandKathy
Established Member

M.O.C. #8377
full time questions

Hi,

We are not Monatana owners yet, but we are researching different 5th wheels for full time rving. We really like the Montana and so far it is our choice. We have a question about the cabinets. Do the hinges hold up? It is the only part of the rv that my husband is concerned about.

Also, we have a 4x4 Ford F250 diesel, 2002, short box and we want to make sure that we can pull at least a 34 foot Montana.
For those of you who are full timing, would a 34 foot have enough room? Some dealers try to tell us if you are going to buy a 34 foot, you might as well go 38!
We want to retire now, but we have to wait until we can get our retirement, which will be 4 more years! YUK!!!
Hope to hear from some of you.
Kathy and Chuck

ChuckandKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We bought our first Montana in 2004 with a view to full timing in it. That was a preowned 2003 Big Sky that had been used by the previous owner for 18 months. The unit was beautifully maintained and offered to us at a bargain too good to refuse. We traded it for a 2008 340 RLQ and have now full timed in it for almost one year. Both units have met our needs comfortably as full timers.

Minor or even major problems happen with any unit from any manufacturer. It is the nature of the RV industry. In general, if you have a good dealer, they and Keystone will cooperate to back up their product. However, we find it easier to just handle a lot of the small issues ourselves. We have not had any problems with hinges, but some folks have had the screws over tightened resulting in stripped screws which came loose. That is a problem I would fix myself with wood glue and tooth picks and reset the screws. irritating , but really no big deal.

Whether you can live in a 34' rather than a 38' rig is a personal preference matter. We enjoy our 38' and would not want smaller, but there are other full timers who do live comfortably in the shorter units and would not want larger. If the 34' unit has all the amenities you want and all the storage you need, then go for it. Happy hunting.......

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If you are going by Montana's model number...3400, that is the inside length, the outside length is over 38.' Hinges are fine, except some tend to work loose like in all trailers. Your 3/4 ton diesel will "pull" the Montana fine, however, it will probably exceed the manufacturer's GVWR with the Montana hooked up. Weigh the truck, and subtract that number from the GVWR...that will tell you how much capacity you have for pin weight, the weight of the hitch, passengers, cargo, etc.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I agree Stiles. Since we fulltime, we wanted as much room as possible. Our SOB is only 30' and on a long weekend, I'd feel like the walls would start closing in. But that's just me. Never bothered Bernie.
I have heard some problems with the cabinet hinges as well. We haven't had any trouble - yet.
Have fun deciding on what you want and enjoy!
Welcome to the forum!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I had some small problems with my hinges the screws are short so I went to lowes and replaced them with 3/4" screws even found the same kind no more problems. btw montanas are very good RVs JMHO. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
ChuckandKathy
Established Member

M.O.C. #8377
thank you for the feedback. I wish we could retire now, we are so very anxious to travel and see the country.
ChuckandKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Here is my 2 cents on the length. First and most impotant to us is the layout - does it FEEL comfortable. I have been in 40 foot rigs that remind me of a cave because the are dark and narrow. I have been in some small rigs that feel spacious. Another concern is the type of campgrounds that you like (or may like). Some people just love state parks. However, at least in the South, they tend to have tight turns and narrow roads - so smaller rig is easier. If you love 'resort' styles, they often have large open roads and lots making turning and parking very easy. Another concern is you may be limited by your house lot or family / friends you may stay with if that is your style. Long rigs are often difficult in a subdivision. Just food for thought as you plan. Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chuck, Welcome to "The best darned forum on the internet!" We have been full timing since last year and have pulled from Alaska to Arizona with many stops in between. Cabinet hinges are not a concern, I think I replaced two screws in this period. Whichever unit you choose, You MUST feel comfortable in it. Go look and sit in for awhile and read a book or a magazine to see if it "fits". Comfort on the road is my biggest concern and we are comfortable. Comfort doesn't mean size either, as stated earlier, some of the biggest units may seem crowded and the smaller ones larger. It all depends on the layout of the unit.

As far as the truck, if you are intent on keeping the F250, you probably need to look at all the weights and capacities of both the truck and trailer. I have no experience with Fords so can't help you there. BUT, do your homework, it will save you some grief later down the line if you decide to upgrade to a larger unit.

Hope this helps somewhat, remember, this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Enjoy this forum and learn from it as I have.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are not full timers but long timers that is we live in our Montana at least 7 months out of the year. Based on the experience of over 20 years of camping we decided to get the biggest camper that we could afford (400 Square feet of interior space is a big as you can get ) and the truck that would pull it and stay within all manufactureres ratings and specifications.The truck and camper in our signature was our choice and we have no regrets. Note that the 3400 is actually 39 feet 3 inches long. Your 2002 F-250 will probably fall short in the pin weight specification and you will have to decide what that means to you. In 4 years that 2002 truck will be 10 years old and perhaps you will be in the market for a new one by that time. The cabinet hinges on this brand or any brand will probably not hold up well but that is a easy fix.

You have time..do your homework.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:52 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We're fulltimers and the smaller 2980RL fits our lifestyle. We are happy with the ability to get into some of the state parks that we might otherwise not be able to get into.

We have plenty of room for our toys, but we try to follow the rule of something 'in' something 'out'.

One concern about having a smaller unit is packing and unpacking. If you have to take everything out of the basement to get to something you need, then that could be a problem. We look at the larger units and know how much easier it would be to get better organized, but we have survived and have been able to organize well enough to where that is not a problem, now.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Chuck, welcome to the forum. We have been in our 3650 fulltime since 2004. Traveled from Louisiana to Texas to Maine to California. The Monty has been great and comfortable. The workmanship is very good(no cabinet problems yet)and hold up well to traveling across some very bad roads. The interior room is fine and given my DW's penchant for clothes (she has me pushed into one small corner of the closet)we are very happy with our choice. Rememember though that it a "trailer" so the construction may not be the same as your stick house. All aside, we absolutely love the lifestyle.
Good luck in lifes choices and God Bless
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have been fulltiming for almost two years. Our 3400, as Rich said, is 400 sq ft. We would not want less. We are extremely pleased with our choice of units. I, as well as many others here, have done research for years before choosing a Montana. I thought this then and I still believe it wholeheartedly... YOU WILL NOT GET MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK THAN WITH A MONTANA.... PERIOD!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
The 3400RL is a great unit, IMHO the best floor plan of any 5th wheel regardless of brand. You can see the TV from the sofa, the recliners, the table, the desk, and, if you lean out, from the kitchen...what more could you ask for!!

As for the other "TV"...tow vehicle, a couple of posters commented that it could not handle the pin weight of this (or any Montana) and remain within the specs...I agree.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #14
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
We travel in a 3000RK, not as fulltimers, but as longtimers, spending the winter in Florida. When I trade up to another Montana, it will have "opposing slides". A 3/4 ton will pull as well as a 1 ton, but it does not have the "braking" ability. That may be important in the Rockies or other steep grades out west.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
Boband Bonnie

M.O.C. #7169
I agree that some of the bigger units can seem crowded. It just depends on the layout. We have a 2002 3670RL, and no matter how much we look at newer units, we've not found one whose floor plan we like as much as ours. We have no kitchen counters sticking out in the way and cutting the space up. I had a huge kitchen in our home, which we sold in March to go fulltime, but I've adjusted just fine to less counter space. Our plan is so open that people are constantly surprised at how large it feels. We're 36 1/2' long with three slides.
National forests often have trees too low, too close, turns too tight. But otherwise we've not had a problem navigating with our length. If we wonder, we check out the campround on foot. We have a F350 dually diesel with crew cab (& we are glad we do since we had a weak moment and got a yellow lab puppy who is 35# already though less than 4 months old!). So far, her crate fits in the back seat. After this one, it's a harness, I guess.
Boband Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's my nickel. Before fulltiming we had a 2001 Montana 2880RL (31') we bought new. We could easily have fulltimed in it but wanted a washer/dryer and that model had no provision for a w/d. We traded for a new 2003 Montana 3295RK (36') with w/d. We took delivery in July 2002 and started fulltiming 3/21/03. We put somewhere around 80,000 miles on it before trading it for a 2007 Montana 3400RL. We took delivery of that on August 29, 2006. And we're still in this one and have put about 16,000 miles on it.

The only problems we had with cabinet hinges is a few were loose as the rig came from the factory. An overexuberant workere stripped them. They were pretty easy fixes (a couple by me, a couple by the dealer) and we've had no more problem with them.

As noted above, we're on our third consecutive Montana. We have no plans at this time to trade again but, if we do, Montana will be high on our list. We've been very pleased with the brand and the service from Keystone.

Plus, what stays in the back of my mind is that Montana has been the biggest FW/travel trailer seller in North America for seven straight years. Any brand could be the leader for a year, maybe two, but to be the leader for seven straight years.... well, they must be doing something right.

There are several brands out there I'd consider good brands in this price range. Good luck whatever your decision.

As for floorplans, look at as many as you can and go with the one that works best for you. As noted above, some want to maximize open space and minimize intrusions such as counter space. Others want the counter space. We like our 3400 because we have the opposing slides and a good sized open area AND have the large counter. Works for us. Not for others. Pick what works for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

... As for floorplans, look at as many as you can and go with the one that works best for you. As noted above, some want to maximize open space and minimize intrusions such as counter space. Others want the counter space. We like our 3400 because we have the opposing slides and a good sized open area AND have the large counter. Works for us. Not for others. Pick what works for you.
Ditto on the 3400 reasons for us for FTing. Also, the 3400 was one of the few models that can house a stackable w/d. Our Ariston stackable has been awesome - according to Cheryl...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #18
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have to chuckle reading some of these posts. They sound like used car salesmen.

Your choice of model for fulltiming will be a personally choice. I feel the answer is like all of us, a Montana is the right choice. We started RV'ing with a Montana being our first 5th wheel, year 2000, model 3255RL. We started fulltiming with this unit after I retired in Oct. 2001. It was a great unit, good layout for us, lots of room. I had very good service and few problems with this unit, we traded for a newer unit when we bought an RV Lot because of the inside layout.

We went with another Montana without any other thoughts, We now have a 2005 3670RL. We looked at all the other models, we liked this one, some of the reasons we like this model over the others were the separate closet we use for a freezer. We also like accessibility of the inside without extending the slides when traveling. We have had very few problems with this unit and we use it 365. The best thing is any problems we have had Keystone/Montana stood behind their product and made me happy.

Make your own choice with which model you choose, I have had times that I wish I had a smaller unit, when parking and trying to stay in some parks these units can be too big.

Hopefully you will have few problems, any and all units will have some. Good Luck, enjoy your travels.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:40 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
The rig you choose will be your choice.

I remember the day we walked into the model we now own, it just "fit" and we both knew it.

When you make your final decision on the floor plan and length, you will know your decision was for your own needs; everyone has different wants and needs.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #20
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hello Chuck and Kathy
I think your choice of a MONTANA is outstanding, when you consider that you get this Forum and all these great folk's along with it.
As far as the size goes. Think about a week at your favorite park, and suddenly it's raining for the whole 7 days...Even a 38' gets really close when things like that happen. More room means happy camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can both have some EXTRA space!!!!!! On those rainy nasty days..
SAFE TRAVELS John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote