Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Added an Autoformer

After a week and a half of low voltage and temps in the hi 80's to mid 90's I finally broke down and bought a Hughes 30AMP Autoformer. Our voltage during the day would drop as low as 108. At 108 volts it is nearly impossible to get the AC's compressor running. Adding the Autoformer jumped the voltage to 118 and the compressor had no problem kicking in.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Montana_4027
Established Member

M.O.C. #4027
That's very interesting...... How does it work? Size? Mount?
I'm always conserned about low voltage, because it can damage the AC unit.
I'll have to reseach this unit.
Montana_4027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
You have the same unit we have Glenn. I don't plug in without it. It is supposed to work as a surge protector also.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:46 AM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Glenn
We have had ours over a year now and it helps on older campgrounds. We never plug in without putting the autoformer in first. We made a waterproof cover for ours out of a plastic trashcan and cut out vents in the side using metal vents from home depot. The whole cover was then attached to a board by latches. This way the autoformer is protected from the rain and is secured with the board with the autoformer inside sitting on it.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC Crew Cab Diesel
New 18k Reese Signature hitch with slider
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Danny,
There were a couple of threads on the Autoformer in the last few weeks. Try a search for those threads. Some very interesting comments were made, and an overview of the inner workings of the Autoformer was discussed.

Good luck!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:23 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Glenn, you'll wonder how you ever lived without the Autoformer. They make a kit to install it inside so that you don't have to drag the Autoformer out every time you plug. It's on my someday list.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Glenn, you'll wonder how you ever lived without the Autoformer. They make a kit to install it inside so that you don't have to drag the Autoformer out every time you plug. It's on my someday list.
All ready proved itself. The weather here in eastern PA has been HOT and HUMID and without the Autoformer we were unable to run the AC during the hottest daytime hours. Since putting it in the line yesterday we not only have the AC on but the TV as well and it's over 90 outside.
Already considering a location for more permanent location.

For those that want additional information, here's a link to the 30AMP Hughes Autoformer. Just scroll down the page for a link to the 50AMP
Old 07-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #8
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Glen; havent bought the Autoformer yet , but just wanted to say HI to you and sweet Lorrane , Miss your ugly puss and great wit, looking forward to seeing you at the next rally at Play-more love--- Dave & kelly
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Ken, any pictures of your setup? Going to be getting one very soon and trying to figure out how someone can't "walk" away with it.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:24 AM   #10
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Dave, no pictures of it. But they come with a handle that is welded to the top so you can carry the autoformer. I guess you could put a chain and lock around it and attach it to the power post for security. I don't believe I have ever herd of anyone stealing one. But I guess there is a first for everything. The cover does protect it though from the elements. Just be sure to vent it.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren VA
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2400HD Sierra Crew cab Diesel

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCP

Ken, any pictures of your setup? Going to be getting one very soon and trying to figure out how someone can't "walk" away with it.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's a photo of mine showing the chain and padlock. The chain goes thru the handle and over the slide rail.

Using this method I can put it under the slide which helps to conceal it a bit better. Outa sight outa mind.

As the cord that comes with the Autoformer is only about 3 ft long I used my 30 AMP extension cord to hook up to the campground electric. Gonna look into a more permanent location.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave Anderson

Glen; havent bought the Autoformer yet, but just wanted to say HI to you and sweet Lorrane , Miss your ugly puss and great wit, looking forward to seeing you at the next rally at Play-more love--- Dave & kelly
HI Dave, Say Hi to Kelly for us.
Are you planning on being at Pla-Mor this September???
Old 07-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Glenn,

I know you'll really enjoy the autoformer. It certainly gives peace of mind knowing that your Airconditioner is getting the juice it needs. I installed ours under the refrigerator close to the breaker panel in our coach. Here's a link to the install.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...ofrm_inst.html

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
Potvin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2193
Send a message via MSN to Potvin
Hi Glenn

Stewart wants to know how much your Autoformer weighs? Did you purchase it from PPL or Camping World?

As you know Glenn I am Stewart's secretary. lol

Happy trails and see you at Pla-mor.

Potvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lamar, is yours the 30 or 50 amp model?

I'm wondering if the 30 amp version can be permanently mounted. I can't think of any reason why not but am not familar with the autoformer. I'm debating getting one. We most often use 30 amp service but occasionally 50 amp.

For anyone, if I permanently installed a 30 amp autoformer in series that would eliminate our ability to connect to 50amp service, right?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:40 AM   #15
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Steve: The 30 amp autoformer plugs into the 30 amp at the park. You have to use a 30 amp cord to run to your unit using a 50/30 connecter. It maintains the 30 amp. to your unit and any surges above that. If you buy a 50 amp autoformer you can go either way. Use 30 or 50 amp. Probably the way to go for a fulltimer if you use the 50amp. If anyone is thinking about getting one a guy in southern texas at the DonWest Market sells them over $100. cheaper than CW.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, where in southern Texas is Donwest market? Is that a chain or a single store? An electrical supply store or RV parts or what? We'll be in Mission in Jan/Feb so that would be a good time for me to buy if I'm going to do it.

We most often use 30 amps but occasionally I'll connect to 50, especially if we'll be in one place for a month or so. I have all the adapters so that's not a problem. I also have the 30 ft (I think it's 30) 30 amp extension cord, which is the cord I use most.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Potvin

Hi Glenn
Stewart wants to know how much your Autoformer weighs? Did you purchase it from PPL or Camping World?
As you know Glenn I am Stewart's secretary. lol
Happy trails and see you at Pla-mor.
The 30AMP unit weighs 24 pounds. PPL had it on sale but I couldn't wait to have it shipped in. I checked a Camping World store in New Jersey and they were sold out. I ended up getting it at a local RV dealer. It was the last one in stock, and as no one else in the area had one, they stuck it to me with a price of $400 bucks but it was that or no air conditioning. The temps were and are now back into the 90's. The A/C Works fine.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:00 AM   #18
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Steve: (sreigle) The trip to the DonWest Market is a regular weekly or bi-weekly trip down there. It is half way between Donna and Weslaco which is about 20 or so miles from Mission. There is also a veggie market across the road.
I note Glenn has mentioned that he paid $400. for his 30 amp. If I remember correctly I paid $300 for ours and the 50 amp was about $100. more. If you want to contact him, his name is Dan Biller, MADE IN THE SHADE, 1-956-793-3452 or 797-4121. The place is a permanent setup at the DonWest market but he works out of his house also as the market is only open Wed., Sat. and Sun. He carries everything that CW has. I even bought a 5th tail gate from him for $100. less than CW. I leave my 50 amp cord at home because it is so heavy and I only have one air. I carry 2 30amp extensions and all the various adapter plugs with me though. Our site in McAllen has a 30 amp and a 20 amp breaker. We only use the 30 amp for the unit and the 20 amp for the frig and freezer in the shed.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Bill. I saved the info. We'll check this out when we get to Mission. We rarely use the 50amp cord because our 50 amp service is really 20 for the second AC we don't have and 30 for the rest of the coach. But if we someday go to the second air then I might wish I had the 50amp autoformer. So I'll have to chew on this between now and January. Thanks for the info.

Glenn, sorry I hihacked your thread. You piqued my interest. I'd been thinking about this and yours was the one that pushed me over the top and makes me think we really need to consider the autoformer. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:58 AM   #20
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
It is unfortunate that we aren't closer as I would give you mine to use and try out until we hit the valley. I don't expect we will be out again until Goshen.