Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Electric switch problem

I keep the Montana plugged in to a 50A service here at the house so I can keep the air dry inside using the air cond. and fantastic fan. Yesterday the DW turned on the rocker switch that controls the light over the sink and heard a sizzling sound from the switch. We unhooked from the power and took the switch off the wall and opened it up. The wires were not secured real well (very sloppy work) inside the switch and I turned on the power to see what was going on. When the switch is turned on the brass doohickey that makes the contact made a sizzling noise and the light only flickered. Now, I know I have to replace the switch, my question; can I get one from Home Depot or must I get one from an RV dealer? I called Keystone, tough maraccas you're two months out of warranty, so be it. What say you learned colleagues.

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I'm sure Home Depot can help you out. I needed to replace a receptacle the only problem I had the box for the new receptacle was to big and had to change the box in the wall too.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
By all means use a residential switch, (buy a good one) the RV types used are just a friction fit. The residential ones use the wire to wrap around a screw. Fast install, but not a good connection on the RV switches.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Take the old switch to the store with you. You will probably find the like kind of switch you need at home depot. If not, most any RV store will have it, not just a Montana dealer.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
glenwynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #4324
they don't use electrical boxes in Montana's at least not in my 2005 model and I don't think you'll be able to find the type of switch that you need at Home Depot. You can probably find it any RV store

Glen
glenwynn is offline   Reply With Quote