Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Newbie longest day

Yesterday I pulled my 3075RL 300 miles, was on the road for 6 hours and did my first pass (4000 ft over the Tehachapis). This is twice as far and twice as long as my previous longest trip. The combination of the Chevy Dually and the 3075RL is just awesome! Nothing phases them, no trucks, no winds, no hills, they pull great. The time seemed shorter than it was. I also did my first fuel stop with the Montana in tow. Fortunately there was a Flying J with an RV only pump. It all went very smoothly but I was nervous of the non-RVs zooming around while i was trying to get out of there.

Newbie mistake of the day. When I unhooked the power I had no 12volt power to the Montana at all nothing 12volt would work. I couldn't retract the slides. Plugged the power back in and everything worked and slides retracted. The front jacks worked with out the power plugged in so it wasn't the batteries. O fcourse today being Sunday there was no help at the dealers or at Keystone. When I arrived at today's RV Park and opened the bay door I saw the Battery disconnect key dangling there. I had forgotten to reconnect the battery when I took the Montana out of storage yesterday morning.

Hopefully, that is one mistake I won't make again.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
No harm, no foul. All in all it sounds like you had a GOOD day. Hope to be on the road really soon myself. Congrats and enjoy.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
couple of questions for you. Does you truck have the short bed? and if so what hitch do you have? Also what brake controller. We have our new 07 3075 on order and also have a new Dodge 3500 MegaCab on order.

We need to decide what hitch to get and what brake controller to get.
Thanks for your help.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:21 AM   #4
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Sounds like a great trip overall. The first trip down the mountain and refueling with Tana in tow are always a little unnerving. I quickly found out going through the mountains in Utah, Montana and Idaho that the duramax/alison combo makes life a breeze, just sit back and enjoy the scenery. Fuel stops are always a crap shoot. Glad to have you on the road with us.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Rockerdude
Established Member

M.O.C. #6837
Glad to hear everything went fine. When you mentioned going over the Tehachapi's, it brought back a memory where we almost ate it coming around a curve, while towing my old 32' ft 5er. It's a very long story, but did learn a valuable lesson that day. On any blind curve (freeway or not), always be prepared for a stopped vehicle that could be there. We wouldn't have made it if there hadn't been a big enough inside shoulder to drive past the semi taking up BOTH lanes.

Are you guys coming to the Buellton Rally next month? It would be great to meet some fellow San Joseans (I grew up there).
Rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Hello All,

I have been taking an RV driving course with the Dick Reed driving school the last 2 day (1/2 day) each. I think this has been a shortcut to being more confident pulling the Montana. My instructor had me driving through narrow places I would never have tried and making left and right turns on very narrow streets. We even took the Montana on rutted dirt roads. We did steep grades and freeway driving. I drove 140 miles just during training! The REAL beauty of the course was hours of BACKING UP TRAINING! I sure hope we can remember it all when we are on our own. We did hours of backing in from the right and the left and what if there were things in the way. I had my little 17 foot trailer for 18 months and never felt as confident as I do now pulling this 34 foot monster.

I may even ask NOT to have pull through at our next RV site.

PS. While we were practicing backing up in this big dirt, two people stopped because they wanted to talk about our Montana. One of these people had a 3075 on order. Naturally, I told him to check the MOC forum!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Capt Kidd,

My Chevy 3500 is a long bed. Orv who post here frequently recommended the Trailer Saver hitch. I love this hitch it has both air bags and shocks. It absorb all of the motion of the Montana, there is no chucking or bounce of the truck by the 5th wheel. I don't think they make a short bed version but, I did ask either. When I asked about brake controllers everyone said "get a Prodigy". So I have no experience with any other kind but, it seems to work well.

Any chance your 3075 will arrive in time for you to join us at the MOC Rally in Buellton?

PS This is our 4th trip and by far our longest trip with our 3075 and we really think this is a great layout for us. I would suggest that you unscrew the table and turn it 90 degrees when you travel. That gives you complete access to the Montana with the slides in.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
rrheik aka Barb and Bob,

Yes, the Duramax/Allison combo is amazing! It doesn't seem to matter how steep the hill is it keeps you at what ever speed you want. This is the first GM product I have ever owned and so far I couldn't be happier with it.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Rockerdude aka Ross and Lori,

Yes, we will be at the Buellton Rally. We are looking forward to meeting fellow MOCers!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Grant,
Sounds like things are coming together nicely! Before long the driving part will become as enjoyable as the destination is. The trick I like to remember when it comes to fueling and the 4 wheelers are moving all about is; I am bigger than they are and they will just have to wait until I am finished maneuvering in or out of the station. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
Rockerdude
Established Member

M.O.C. #6837
Another thing to keep in mind while filling up at normal gas stations, make sure your rig can fit underneath the roof over the gas pumps. These Montana's are the high profile (12' 9") and I've noticed driving around the country, that there are quite a few older gas stations that only have about 11' or so, clearance. Just to make sure on the ones that don't have clearances marked, is to climb up the ladder and take a look BEFORE you pull in.
Rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 AM   #12
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Ruckerdude,

Since Montana can't seem to measure the length of their 5th wheels correctly, can we trust them that they got the height right?

Have you accually measured the hieght of you Montana? if you did was it really 12' 9"?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Congrats on the trip. Sounds like your moving along nicely. I am jealous!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote