Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Motorcycle and Montana High Country

I have a 2016 Montana HC375FL. I am contemplating going full time again later this year and am looking for a solution to take the MC with me but I do not want to go with anything like pulling a triple. I see a product called a Hydralift that can be mounted to some 5th wheels. It is extremely expensive and definitely alters the weight distribution if your 5er is within their specs for adding one.

Do any of you with a High Country have any experience with a Hydralift?

jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I don't think you have the frame for a Hydralift. You should look at something like a Idaho Tote.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Agree with Mudchief, assuming you have a motorcycle and not a Moped. The extra 8-900 pounds on the rear of the trailer would have a significant effect on the load distribution and handling. I saw a lift on the rear of a Travel Supreme a number of year ago but he had the axles moved rearward to compensate for the extra load. Idaho Tote or similar device would be much more compatible.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I have not measured to see if my HC375fl is at the hydralift specs. I need less than 10 feet from rear to center of the rear axle and also have to have pin weight over 1500lbs or more. The HC also must have a 10 inch frame of I beam which I believe it does but have not measured due to it sstill being in the shop for Warranty work. I have years of bad experience with fulltiming with trailers and storage not on my site etc and have enough trouble navigating without pulling triple.

The hydralift is 280 lbs and my Magna is 525 lbs so I would be adding almost a thousand lbs to the rear which I agree would make weight distribution a challenge. I do have the available room in total axle and trailer weight to add it and still be well under the Keystone specs. I am hoping to find an owner that has actually done it. The cost will be way over $5,000.00 and if it makes the HC unstable I will have to forgo and sell the bike I think. The not on my site stuff was just years of PIA when I was hauling a car hauler or using a dolly behind my old MH.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Wow the Idaho tote is as expensive as the hydra lift and also looks tough to load with ramps by myself. While it weighs less on the axles of the HC I would think it is as much of a towing problem as a hydra lift.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Have you looked into this? I was thinking about one of these for the same reasons.
http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
The next step with hydralift is to see if my HC meets their specs which I cannot until Keystone quits holding it hostage in the warranty repair center. You can get the Hydralift Specs from them online. I have been emailing one of their CS reps but would have to go to the nearest dealer about 100 miles from here to have them verify if it can be installed by their specs. It would also void the warranty on the HC which is pretty worthless anyway and probably is not longer than the year warranty anyway. I will look at the cruiser lift as well thanks.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The answer is a different tow vehicle. Take a look at what Big Boomer tows with. He takes two Harley's along with him. If that doesn't look attractive to you, you will have arrived at the position we found ourselves in when we sold our Goldwing when we went full time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
roothoss1282
Established Member

M.O.C. #18012
I see the New 17' High Country have one ( Can't remember the #) that the bedroom is in the back and the bed raises up so you can get a bike or golf cart in the back. I was a year to early when we got ours. Would have really liked to look at this model a little better. Would work great for a bike. I think there was room for 66" of height before you had to raise the bed for more room.
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your HC does not have enough frame to handle your MC.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I just spent an hour or so discussing the fastlift single and dual Swivel wheel systems with the manufacturer. If I do buy anything it will likely be this unit as it has capability to cover the bike an has lots of extra room for bicycles and maybe a tool box or so. It adds minimal tongue weight to the Montana Frame and would not result in the weight distribution issue. It also does not count as pulling a triple and is considered an extension to the RV rather than a trailer by the DOT folks. It is also the least expensive and they recommended a hitch/welding shop to install it I have use for years. It also has a power ramp for us old folks to not have to balance a bike up a ramp. Looks like a winner choice to me! If I ever have to disconnect it is also has the ability to extend storage wheels so I could move it easily into a campground storage if required.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
I just spent an hour or so discussing the fastlift single and dual Swivel wheel systems with the manufacturer. If I do buy anything it will likely be this unit as it has capability to cover the bike an has lots of extra room for bicycles and maybe a tool box or so. It adds minimal tongue weight to the Montana Frame and would not result in the weight distribution issue. It also does not count as pulling a triple and is considered an extension to the RV rather than a trailer by the DOT folks. It is also the least expensive and they recommended a hitch/welding shop to install it I have use for years. It also has a power ramp for us old folks to not have to balance a bike up a ramp. Looks like a winner choice to me! If I ever have to disconnect it is also has the ability to extend storage wheels so I could move it easily into a campground storage if required.
Glad I could help
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
CW3jason-Your Welcome. Hell if the Montana ever gets out of the Keystone shop and I add that MC swivel wheel accessory I might learn to like the damn Montana using it to fulltime. There is always hope, but not trust in Keystone.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #14
dhenry3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18670
I use a dual swivel wheel on our 3710FL to haul our golf cart. You don't know it's back there. Rear view camera on fiver allows me to keep and eye on it. It's amazing how easy it is to back it up. You just have to remember you rig length is now five feet longer. I bought a class four universal hitch and two receivers from etrailer, mounted it and had a buddy weld the tubes in place. It's not considered a trailer as it doesn't articulate and is basically an extension of the frame. Not tags required.

dhenry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Thanks I appreciate the owner of one telling me their experiences. I think that is the way to go plus the company has a hooped garage cover and a power ramp to help us old folks load it. Since it is considered a frame extension and does not jackknife it is the way to go on the High Country. I am not yet super skilled on moving the 5er around as most of my many years have been in TT's and Motorhomes. I have a Furrion wide angle camera that should work well. With the factory bike rack on mine the Fastmaster only adds 3 more feet as I do have to remove the bike rack. Plus I get a little more outside storage! Plus as I age I could trade up for a golf cart!
Thanks for the reply!