Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Calling all TKR patients.

I had a total knee replacement on Dec.6 and here is is 12 weeks out and I am having problems. I have pain around my knee cap and also have a band across the front about 2 inches below my knee cap that is a little swollen and is very painful. I when to see my surgeon last week and he said everything is fine. He said my knee cap is tracking well but there might be a little fluid in there so he gave me Mobic to take for the swelling but I think I am having a reaction to the metals, it might not be full blown but some type of reaction.
Has anyone had any problems with there replacements that can shed some light on what might be going on in there? I just want to rip my cap off and take a little look see myself to see whats going on. I waited almost 3 years to have this procedure done and now I am having second thoughts. I also think surgeon's do not like to hear there might be a problem with their work.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had a blood clot with mine, but my entire leg swelled up, not just a part of it. After that was dealt with everything went well. Does sound like you have something wrong, however. Can you get a second opinion?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
The second opinion might be next. I go back to see the surgeon in 2 weeks to see if it is getting better. Me leg did swell but they found no signs of a clot, but I did stay in the hospital an extra day because of the swelling. Another problem I have is the fact I have a catch or snap with every step. It happens at about 90 deg when I lift my leg to step forward and if I do any greater amount of walking it turns into 2-3 catches with every step. At times it feels like it is grinding with every step. Just thought I would see if anyone else has had any problems.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I do have clicking with mine, mainly when getting up or down from a chair. I am 18 months out with mine. The ortho said the clicking was not unusual. It does get sore if I overuse (like digging weeds etc)but otherwise has been no problem. Still unable to kneel on it. I hope you find some answers. I know going up and down the stairs in the Monty bothered it. Try some ice packs and gentle exercises. You want to keep it mobile.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
After 2.5 years mine still clicks when I walk, but never had any major swelling after the operation. Good luck on getting the problem solved.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Based on my Wife's exerience....discuss scar tissue with your Dr. Your problems echos what we went through and unfortunately the generation of scar tissue is one thing that's problematic with this type surgery.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
My wife had some problems with hers also after replacement. Swelling, pain, etc. for a year. The Dr told her the pain was in her head and it was playing tricks on her. I kept after her to get another opinion and finally she did. The Dr told her the glue was not working and he showed her on the xrays. Now shes very upset and goes back to her DR and tells him about the xray. He said Linda thats always been there, but if you would like I will go in and do an exploratory to see whats happening. It surely isn't the glue. After surgery the Dr come and told me with his head hanging very low that he found a bone chip from the surgery that had reattached to her bone and was in fact growing. While this was happening it was tearing up the tissue around and causing the pain. He removed that piece and 6 weeks later no pain. He also said in all the yrs. that he has done replacements he has never had this happen. So strange things do happen.

Get the 2nd opinion its a piece of mind you need right now.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Drifty1, I do not have any experiance in this other than been around a few people who have had this done. So if you don't mind I would like to add my 2 cents.

First and foremost, If you think something is wrong DO NOT hesitate! Go get a second opinion. Doctors are only human and make mistakes. And don't like to admit it because their afraid of lawsuits (we know,we're in a wrongful death suit now).

Second, My mom, aunt and a co-worker have had this done. My mom and aunt never had any clicking.Don't know about the co-worker,never asked. This could be different design of parts, so like others have said this could be normal. However my aunt and co-worker were both up and about with little pain and swelling gone in as little as a month. My mom, it took alittle longer cause she did not push herself as hard in therapy. Ed, the co-worker, was back to work in 6 weeks with no limitations. And is doing great, by the way he is a mehcanic climbing all over heavy equipment at age 58.

So that is my take on the matter. JMHO though.
I do hope and pray for you that everything turns out allright.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X most everyone else on the clicking. Also had problems with the kneeling on it, but could decide if it was real or in my head. It's been a couple of years now and with first using knee pads when I had to kneel I've gotten to the point where I can kneel on it ok. Still don't like to, however. One tip I received early on was that if you broke open vitamin E capsules and rubbed it gently on the scar several times a day the scar wouldn't be so bad. Worked short term and maybe helped healing, who knows. Long term I think my scar looks like everyone else's.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
zman08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6806
It's been eight years since I had my TKR and life is good with mine so far. I've never experienced any of the problems you describe and agree a second opinion is in order to figure out what is wrong. My wife and I walk as much as we can which helps keep everything working right.
zman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I had both knees replaced in 2005 and a hip replaced last July and have not had any of the problems you are having. I do have an occasional click in the knees and don't like kneeling but that's it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think the suggestion you get a second opinion is a good one. I would if I had your problems.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Thanks for all the comments. If my family Dr. and the PT both say something is not right I tend to believe them. My family Dr. believes I am rejecting something in my knee. He says it is not a full blown rejection but my body doesn't like something in there. My PT says I have a good range of motion but I should not have this much catching or pain at this point in time. He also mention he has not had a patient in his office with problems at this stage. I would of thought I would be getting better everyday but it seems like after the first 3-4 weeks I have been stuck at the same point with the pain. I guess I will find more out in a couple of weeks so will update then.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #13
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
In June of 2009, I had a torn meniscuss repaired in my left knee. Was on crutches for 4 weeks. It still is not perfect.

The week after Thanksgiving of 2010, had a total right hip replacement done and in mid April of 2011, my left hip was replaced. I would have it all done again. Have a lot of sore muscles when I have been active and a lot of clicking and thumping. I have talked to my surgeon about all of this and once a year when I visit him, he takes X-rays and shows them with explainations that all is good.

But, do get a second opinion if you are not comfortable.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
After 2 years still clicks, Doc says always will. Now have develop scar tissue, they go in next week to remove, can not kneel on it, but I would have it done again.

Sounds like more is going on with yours ,go get 2nd and 3rd opinion

Good luck

David
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I agree with getting the 2nd opinion, if anything it will give you peace of mind and if something is wrong you need to know. When I had my knee replacement 1 year ago at 12 weeks I was a very frustrated man. I can relate to where you are. I could not sleep at night from surgery to after 12 weeks. I voiced to anyone who would listen that I made a mistake and would never do it again. I did push myself in therapy and movement. I was determine to make it work well. I saw to many people with failed knee replacements because they would not make it move due to the pain. My doc and pt kept telling me I was doing great never seen anyone as far as I was at this stage. My expectations was 4 weeks I should be on the mend feeling better. To make a long story short, they where right. About 15 weeks I started sleeping and slowly the pain went away. It is a slow slow process. 1 year later... best thing I ever did but the pain was unbelievable! As most have said, can not kneal on it but no clicks and it does swell from time to time if I over use it. Defintely improved my quality of life. There is light at the end of tunnel it just takes a while to get there. You'll get there and good luck!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Drs comments sound fishy. Had both of mine done, left in 2004, right in 2008. No pain, no clicking. A friend of mine had problems like you and it was scar tissue that they had to break up. Good luck.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Well I have a little update to post today. I went to see the surgeon today as it has been 3 weeks since I have been on Mobic to get the inflammation down to see if it would help with the snapping and pain in my knee. He asked how I was doing and of course I said the same as I was 3 weeks ago, in pain. He cranked on it for a while and then said he thinks the nylon disk is to loose and this is causing the snap with every step. So into x-ray we went and he forced my knee sideways while they took the x-rays to see if it was loose. And guess what it is. I believe I said that at least 6 weeks ago!!! So I have 2 choices one is to live with it and the second is to go in and put in the next thicker disk. I told him I could not live with 5-6 level pain forever! So they need to go in and put in the thicker nylon in a few weeks. At least this time it should be about a day and a half in the hospital and a quicker recovery. Bad part is I just spent 13 weeks in PT and need to just about start over! Thank god I work for a great company!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #18
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Larry,
It sucks you have to go through surgery again AND PT, but on the good side I glad for you that the dr. found the problem and can correct it. Tell your company to hang in there, you'll be back.

Best of luck and my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by junglejim

Larry,
It sucks you have to go through surgery again AND PT, but on the good side I glad for you that the dr. found the problem and can correct it. Tell your company to hang in there, you'll be back.

Best of luck and my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.
X2
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Update: Since it is 3:30 am I thought I would put out a little update with what has happened in the last 9 months so here goes. Last May I went in and the surgeon replaced the nylon disc in my knee with a 5mm thicker one. But within a week after that rework I could tell it was not correct but I worked to get the joint as strong as I could. But it just went down hill from May so in last Sept. I asked for a second opinion but had to go through and IME first to see if I really needed a second opinion. The IME said I had a very complicated knee and it was not going to be a simple fix and yes I should find the best Dr. I could get it do the repair. So that part is done as I picked Dr. Crutcher from Swedish Orthopedic Institute in Seattle. I seen him for the first time in the beginning of Dec. and it took him 5 minutes to say that my knee is not correct on needed to be redone. After getting a cat-scan done in Dec. the belief is the lower implant is rotated a little causing the ligaments to stretch which is causing my joint to keep loosening up. So it is a longer operation to do the repair so I was scheduled to have it done July 15 but it was updated to May 1 last week after the Dr. opened another surgery day. So that is where we sit with my knee at this point.