Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
bafflefinder
Established Member

M.O.C. #9211
Electric Awning and wind

We just picked up our new 3665RE and before we left the home drivway the bed cylinder snap ring blew out and soaked the carpet with oil. the hydraulic pump also went out but that's for a different topic. The electric awning seems very fragile in a breeze. I am used to the manual angled arm type and wish I would have made them change it. I park at a lake all summer and wind comes up fast sometimes. Any suggestions on securing this type of awning. I really don't want to rope it down to stakes as I have a slab poured next to where I park. Help would be appreciated.

bafflefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This is precisely why I would not want an electric awning. For me, I want the old manual style. During our 7 month stay here in Florida I put my awning down and secured it when we arrived. During the entire stay I never put the awning up. Not even on the windy days. We sit with the trailer facing due north putting our awning on the east side and out of most direct wind from the west, southwest and northwest. Winds from the north or south or directly out of the east only concern if wind gusts exceed 40MPH. This winter east winds were rare and gusts exceeding 35MPH were even rarer.

I know a few folks will say I am nuts. Maybe so but I have been doing this for the past 4 years and haven't had a single problem. Also, this is one of the reasons we all carry insurance isn't it?
A neighbor had his awning blown off. He was warned of possible hi winds but refused to put it up.He hardly even had it secured. He had 7 year old class C and the awning was the original. Anyway, along came the wind and his awning was gone. Ripped right off the rig. A week later he had a brand new awning. His cost? $500.00, the amount of his deductible. It was a $1500.00 awning and as he put it "Not Bad For 500 bucks"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I like the awnings with a wind sensor. They can be set for different wind velocities, or turned off. I believe that there is an after market wind sensor. If you are inclined, you may want to search on awning wind sensor.

As Glenn stated, tying them down is the usual method for long term to leave them out. Even with the wind sensor ones that do not have an off switch you can pull the fuse to disable it, or put in a quick disconnect or switch on the ground line to the motor.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
As I see it, I don't believe there is a defined solution to this problem.
When we are traveling and moving every day or so I think the convenience of the electric awning would be a real asset and would love to have one. During May thru Sept. when we locate to our seasonal site the manual awning appears to be the way to go for us. When we become stationary we want to put out that awning, secure it properly and be done with it for long periods of time and practically live under it. We have two neighbors that ended up in your situation after purchasing new trailers. They both tried to have them changed back to manual types but their dealer said it couldn't be done, to me that sounds a bit fishy. Personally I think Kaystone should go back to the manual type and offer the electric as an option.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are presently in Key West and I did see one Class A with the same electric awning as we have. She used the normal corner tie downs and it place of "Flapper Stoppers" she used a rope threaded through three swim noodles. She ran the rope right down the center length of the awning. All the ropes were anchored to the ground. I have just put my awning out in the last two days because we have had heavy winds since we got here. I have had this awning out in fairly high winds and it has folded right back against the rig with no damage to anything. We have also had it out during very heavy rain and it has never "bagged" with water. Whenever it starts to fill with water the weight makes it fold slightly and it dumps out the ends. As per the instructions I haven't tried to tie this one down... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We don’t have an electric awning but from what I’ve seen I believe the fragileness of it is due to the way it’s designed for mounting. (IMHO) If I had one I wouldn’t worry about it and just simply use it. If it was windy where I was at I would look into putting something on it to secure it better. I don’t think I would want a sensor unless we could turn it off as Waynem mentioned. That would be a good feature. We enjoy hanging the awning lights and with a sensor on that wouldn’t work.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bill, we parked next to several rigs that have the same awning we have and also have the wind sensor. They have a small control panel inside(which I don't have) and it has wind settings of 3, 6, and 9 mph on it I believe and also has a shutoff switch for the sensor. We also have lamps and wind toys we like to hang from the awning. I really would like to get the sensor... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

--------
When we are traveling and moving every day or so I think the convenience of the electric awning would be a real asset and would love to have one.
This I agree with 100% and that would be the only reasoning for me to get one. But even than I still wouldn't want it retracting at 3, 6, and 9 mph. That's not even a stiff breeze muchless a damaging wind. If they are that delicate than I'll keep my manual.

Also, if Montana did not offer the manual as an option than they should at least allow purchasing a Monty without an awning. I would than have the selling dealer install a manual.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Agree completely. I am very disappointed in the electric awning. I am trying to figure out a way to use deflappers on this one like we used on our old manual awning. Since the arm does not parallel the awning material, there is no place to hook the deflapper. So when the breeeze picks up, it is one noisy affair, even if I have the tie down straps holding it in position.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My awning sensors (I have two electric awnings, one for porch and one for patio (SOB) the sensors can be set for 8, 12, 18 and 21 MPH. They are nice for when a gust of increase in winds come up and you may be inside and unaware. But, when we go off, I push the button and let them retract, why tempt the winds. I have seen awnings that were tied down at CG's, with the owner gone, torn to shreds. I don't know what velocity winds came through, as they were "parked" as in long term. I just think that if you are going to be gone for the day, it is just as easy to pull them in and put them back out. I never found it to be a problem, even with th manual awnings.

I guess the point is that there is something for everyone out there. It is all in what YOU want to have.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I have the electric awning and I like it a lot. Of course I am mostly a weekender so move frequently. I like it because is so easy to just pop it up if the wind comes up or if going away. I put eye hooks on the arms which I then have a cord that I have the lights hooked to. That way the lights are not in the way if I roll up the awning. I only take them off the awning when traveling. It works quite well. If I was long terming some place I don't know what I would do.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We're camping on the Outer banks this week So for we have not been able to use the awning because on the wind. We tried to tie it down, but without the bracing you get with the manual type it would still bow up in the wind.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO. the electric awning is designed for the Receational user(occasional use) and it that respect it is a fine option..IF it had the auto folduop feature it would be better. At first we liked the option and talked to keystone at the fall rally about having one installed on our 06 3400/ However after thinking about how we use our 3400 (long timers) we decided against it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Hmmmmmm, Bobby, not good! The sad part is IF the DW & I were to buy a new Monty would we not now be forced to accept the electric? As stated before it appears the electric is great for it's convenience especially in areas of moderate winds. The manual seems to be the only way to go for seasonal or longtimers and use in areas with windy conditions. Time to redesign the awning with add on braces I guess!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:33 AM   #15
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
While we were wintering in Florida, our neighbors had an electric awning on their sob. They tied it down just as I did with our manual.
When we were experiencing any high winds, we both put our awnings away, only he had his done long before I could get mine done. Once he removed his tiedowns, he pushed a button and up it went. I still had to get the stepstool out to undo the deflappers, unscrew the handle for the side support, well, you know what is involved in stowing a manual awning.
Now, we have the electric awning and I'm looking forward to using it this summer. I will have to just wait and see how well I like it after using it more!
Yes, the new Montanas do come with the electric awning.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #16
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I have the electric awning on my 3075RL. I went to Home Depot and bought a length of 1" angle aluminum. I cut the aluminum into 2 pieces (or braces), drilled holes in both ends of each, and then drilled holes in the awning. One hole was at the top of the bracket that is mounted on the side of the RV. The other hole was at the end of the arm near where the awning roller mounts. This allowed me to put the braces up with a couple of bolts to form a triangular brace similar to the manual awning. I can even add deflappers to the braces. I also have a shade screen that I slip into the awning roller and stake down. With the braces AND screen in place, our awning is at least as stable as the manual type.

We recently left the Del Pueblo RV Park in Yuma, AZ. We were there for 2 1/2 months and with this system in place, did not have to put the awning away, even in 40 MPH winds.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #17
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I just spent five days in my trailer cursing the electic awning. This year we are wide open to the wind as our neighbour hasn't towed his rig up yet. Even light winds would cause the awning to buck up and down. I finally gave up and left it in. Now the fix-it side of me is looking at the geometry of the arms and struts to see if there is an effective but simple way to provide some stiffness that doesn't require ropes and pegs. It must be easy to take down/disconnect and store. It must not transfer significant additional stress to the existing components. It must look good or the DW will use her veto. If I figure something out I will share (once the patent is secured LOL).
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote