Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Dealership Frustrations

I reported this here as I originally had it under camping trips.
Well I am down from very mad to just really bummed out. I went to the dealer last Tuesday after work to pick up our 3160 RL LE. Of course they forgot to have it outside the lot and ready for me. So much for advance scheduling. Lucky I had called on my way to make sure it was ready, which it was not. They did get it out for me to pick it up without service being there. That part was nice.

We loaded up the rig Tuesday night so we could leave Wednesday after lunch.
We were just ready to take off and I was making my last walk around before leaving. That is when I noticed the big gash in my front end cap. You can probably guess who I called upon finding it. Of course my dealer knew about it and just thought that I had been notified of the little incident. I let him know that of course I had not been notified. He implied it was no big deal as their techs had happened to notice some paint blemishes in the front cap and had already talked to Keystone about fixing it. You know some touch up paint at a local body shop. My guess is that somebody on their forklift hit the edge of my unit with the mast as they were going around the front of it.
Has anybody else had to get something like this repaired. I am not happy with a brand new unit needing body work and paint.

Tom & Lynne Marty

Old 05-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Dealer gets an F in my opinion. Once you pull out, you lose leverage with the dealer. Should have been repaired prior to final PDI. Not sure wha you mean by gash. Some dealers can handle, some outsource. I would have refused to accept the rig and left on site until fixed. Best to not sign the final paperwork until a detailed PDI is done and the punch down list corrected.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
It was not there when I went through the PDI and brought the unit home. It occurred after I dropped the unit off to get repairs started after using it for one weekend. When I dropped it off they knew that I would be picking it back up on the Tuesday before Memorial Weekend as I told them that, wrote it down on the paper work and then called on Monday to confirm that I would be picking it on Tuesday. They damaged the unit while it was in their possession. I needed to start the process for the repairs that should be covered under warrantee. They were late in getting started on the list as they thought the door deadbolt was locked. I had to drive over and open the door without touching the deadbolt to show them that you just have to pull on the door a little harder.

On a good note the wife and I really like the size and tow-ability of our 3160. We think we will be happy with our choice for a long time once we get the little problems resolved.

Tom & Lynne Marty
Old 05-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Don't blame you for being angry,
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I envy the handful of members on the MOC that openly tout their dealerships. I've had the same dismal experience as you report with trips to three different dealers over a span of 18 years. One time they bent the landing gear extension moving the fiver around and put on a rusted up extension they dug out of the trash ... never mentioned it till I asked what the "H" is going on with the landing gear leg ... then mentioned it was damaged during their possession and assured me another extension was on order. I said you might as well order a whole new landing gear leg as just the extension isn't gonna get it with me. They did.

Another time I went to check on progress and found my fiver sitting on the back lot with every possible lock unlocked with most all my personal possessions and camping gear ripe for the pickens. They were sure sorry they had overlooked locking it up??? Why was every door unlocked to start with???

At another dealer, the "Master Mechanic" assigned to replaced my entry door didn't use any backup material while he was prying the door away from the wall of the fiver. He left dozens of tick marks all around the high gloss side of my 3150. It went to a body shop to repair the damage done to the exterior sidewall before I would hook up to it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... I'd rather roll in crushed glass than take my fiver to a dealer. I've always been handy with anything mechanical. Have the factory just send me the parts under warranty or not and I'll put them on. Much heartache is avoided this way.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are one of those that tout their dealer. Town & Country Rv, Clyde, Ohio.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You aren't dealing with Camper World in Roanoke Va are you?
This is why I drove 500 miles to deal with Town and Country in Clyde Oh.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Too far east ... dealers in MO, KS, OK were referenced to.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
When I bought my pop-up back in '98, I had to have the dealer install a hitch on my car. When I returned to pick up car and camper, there was a big scrape down the whole passenger side of my car. Nobody knew anything about it. I had to talk to the owner and convince him that it wasn't there when I dropped it off. To be fair, he did the right thing and had his insurance repair the damage. That was my first experience with an RV dealer. I've had issues one way or the other with every dealership since. The one I bought my Montana from hasn't done anything particularly wrong as I haven't returned for any warranty work (bought used), but I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about them. They've come through kinda sorta when I've had to call on them, but I just don't feel comfortable they would be very helpful if I really needed something. It's particularly galling when it's camping season and your trailer is being repaired on the dealers' timetable. Best of luck getting your issues ironed out.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Thanks for the input and experiences. I hope this is just a bit of rough road and that in the end I will be happy with my 3160 and the dealer. We really wanted to buy at Tacoma RV in Tacoma WA. I decided to buy locally so I would have a better relationship if I did need any warrantee work or any other work done on our rig. So far I am not sure if I made the correct decision. I will be taking it back (as far as I know) to the dealership to get the problems fixed. I will definitely be going over a list with the service manager of what needs to be fixed. I also want a list of everything that his service people say needs to be corrected. I want to try to stay as positive as I can and hope I can joke about this later on.

Tom & Lynne Marty
Old 05-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Unfortunately, while there are a few great dealers out there, the evidence seems to indicate there aren't that many.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Accidents happen. Mine was damaged last week at an RV dealer. They called to tell me how it happened. New side metal panel on its way. No big deal! It's when they say " oh it was there before"! That's when you get upset.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:06 AM   #13
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
There is one rv place about 15 miles frm me that I will not use for anything. Another is about 23 miles away, has a great parts department with greatprices, but I do not know about the quality of thier service. Don't have anyKeystone dealers within 200 miles so I do as much as I can myself - so far, that's been everything.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 AM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A previous reply to this post was "accidents happen ... no big deal". I'm not that complacent that I'd just shrug it off saying at least they told me and will fix it. I sure as heck don't just take damage in stride to my car when I take it to a dealer for repair, nor my motorcycle, nor even my John Deere equipment ... I'll not be complacent about stuff like this.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

A previous reply to this post was "accidents happen ... no big deal". I'm not that complacent that I'd just shrug it off saying at least they told me and will fix it. I sure as heck don't just take damage in stride to my car when I take it to a dealer for repair, nor my motorcycle, nor even my John Deere equipment ... I'll not be complacent about stuff like this.
Accidents do happen, even at the best dealers. As was said, if they notify you and make it right, why make a big deal out of it? Save your wrath for those instances where it's needed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:40 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Another great dealer. Moores Rv in North Ridgeville, Ohio a Keystone dealer but does not sell Montana's . We have worked for this dealership and purchased 3 rv's from them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #17
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Within the past 5 years we have purchased 2 Montana's from American RV in Grand Rapids, Mi and have been extremely pleased with their sales and service departments. Their PDI procedures are very thorough and factory defects are almost non existent when it is delivered to the customer. Have recommended them to many others and all who purchased from them or had service done by them have also been pleased.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #18
Hogfan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16088
Would have to recommend Jamatt RV in Poteau Ok. We have been very pleased with both sales and service.
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #19
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Customer service is dead and not just with RV Dealers and Manufacturers, but with most companies. Blame it on technology de-personalizing the company/customer relationship ( eg. call centres and voice mail), or ultra competitive pricing as a result of the Internet and the global marketplace resulting in narrow profit margins and cutting quality and after sales service or any number of changes in our world in the past 30 years.
Since I retired I have become much more sensitive to poor customer service and find it in most of my day to day experiences. Perhaps I just have too much time on my hands. I think it's important to support places that do go that extra mile for the customer even if they are a little more expensive. Also use forums like this to provide kudos to companies providing good customer service and expose those that don't.
In that vein we had a brake failure in our trailer In early April and dropped in to Four Seasons RV just outside of Denver. It was late in the afternoon and they were very busy with locals getting their units ready for the upcoming camping season. They freed up a tech to diagnose our problem, shoehorned us into their service dept the next morning and we were on the road by noon. Very appreciative of the way we were treated.
Now if I could just get my satellite TV provider to put someone in their call centre who speaks English and was more concerned about resolving my issues than up selling me to a more expensive package.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #20
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I called today to remind service that I was scheduled to pick up our unit this evening. They said ok we will have it ready and waiting to be hooked up to my TV. I went in to chat with service manager when I got there as it was a couple of minutes before their quitting time. The conversation started with "were you able to complete everything on the list?" Well not really with it being at the paint-shop etc. Ok you did get the new camera installed as it was here before the unit was sent to the paint-shop? Well not really as it was not the parts that we requested. I asked "you did check all the parts that came in to make sure they were correct as people make mistakes all the time myself included. No I did not check to see if our order actually had the parts that we were supposed to get. Ok so you have had the wrong parts for almost a month and we still can't get the warrantee work completed?

I will get a list of what was supposedly done and confirm if they were successfully completed or not. It is sad when my unit has been in the shop for way longer than it has been in my possession. Hopefully we will have a great weekend at Harmony Lakeside RV Resort located up in the Cascade Mountains on Lake Mayfield. Maybe I can get rid of some stress, because right now I would like to choke a few people. I know it is not nice, but enough is enough.

Tom Marty