Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
RALLY NOTES:

Is there anyone that attended the MOC rally that would be willing to put down in writing a synopsis of what was covered and what they learned by the manufacture reps

It would sure help those of us that still are working and can't attend them. I know by reading some of the posts that there are some great things coming out of this rally.

Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We learned that Dexter recommends that that the U bolt nuts be set at 75lbs torque. We also learned that the maint procedures are in the dexter manual and had we bothered to read the manual we would not have had a problem. We learned that dexter now makes self adjuster brakes for the Montana's and Montana is installing them in the latest models. Many at the rally did the upgrade.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We learned a lot about the electronics coming out on the new units. Park River Electronics is the new provider and they are now using a linked Samsung TV and Receiver. Rich covered some of the important Dexter info. The new self adjusting brakes were available at the rally for $75/wheel as a complete drop in kit. Mor Ryde had a better system of wet bolts and better installation, it seemed. It sounds like there might be some wet bolts in the Montana line in the future. The Lippert price on JT Strongarms really skyrocketed - $375 plus tax, uninstalled. Also, Burlington Graphics has a new material from 3M for the decals that sounded promising. I'm sure others will post more.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Aram said we could post that Montana has a new five slide, front living room, two outside doors prototype and a special desk chair that is a step stool when turned over.

edit - We were asked not to take pictures and therefor I will not discuss in detail their design. We may see this in Jan. Who knows.

Yes it was a prototype and we got to comment on it. Nice to be asked our opinion. Same thing happened with the Hickory edition last year.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Hi, John
I thought that was a prototype and not in production.
That's what I get for not listening closer.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Richfaa had the Mor Ryde independent suspension installed on his trailer and now several of us are saving up for the upgrade. Mor Ryde also has a disc brake system as an upgrade.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had the self-adjusting brakes on our Cambridge 358. We also went to Mor/Ryde and had the Disk brakes installed. That was the best upgrade we ever made on the Cambridge. I was sorry we didn't have the Mor/Ryde IS system installed along with the brakes, think Rich will like the IS system. There was couple from Texas that was having a 43' RV with 6 slides haven't heard if they did in fact order it, they were working on the order sheet when we left Goshen. Of course it will be riding on the Tri-
Axles system. It looks like a lot of RV manufactors are now begining to do a little more special orders. And I think its about time. Today I seen a Montana which had all the emblems removed and had emblems from KOA and it was lettered up to be a Field unit for KOA???? Its different but it is a Montana. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Great stuff. Thanks to all that posted. Keep it coming.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I think it worth saying that the prices that some got at the rally were special pricing. To get the price, ya gots ta go!
I learned tons. Here's some:
Dometic - I learned how the fridge actually works and that it wants to be stored level +/- 3 degrees, so the trailer must be leveled in storage. Adding bug mesh to the fridge air venting seriously affects its heat transfer capabilities. There is a switch in the top of the unit that actuates a heater for the fascia of the fridge/freezer to prevent frost, but it doesn't shut off when you shut off the fridge, so it can drain the battery if not shut off separately. I learned how to do basic service on the AC unit. I learned exactly what parts I need to add a second AC. Anybody interested in these can message us. Also, it turns out that our Monty's ductwork is available at the front AC position. I learned how to clean the awning. Dometic also upgraded our electric awning arms from fixed length to adjustable (I have yet to install the parts).
Dexter - I bought brake kits, self-adjusting and got a lesson on how to install them. I bought wet-bolt kits, then learned later that I have to get an important part from Mor/Ryde! Mor/Ryde says they'll ship the parts to me.
Mor/Ryde - I learned how the suspension works. By pre-arrangement, Mor/Ryde swapped out our pin-box rubber (#5) for a more compliant one (#4), since our actual load is at the bottom of the range of the #5 and is more in the range of the #4.
Lippert - They seem to make a pretty good product, but I am leery that their manufacturing inspection might miss catch problems with welds that may be invisible to eyeball inspection. I think that they could improve this considerably.
Getting tired of typing, off to bed, BUT

Dave (exnavydiver) gave an excellent presentation on fire safety in the RV, including hands-on operation of fire extinguishers to extinguish a real fire. I was surprised about how well fire extinguishers work, but Dave emphasized that running away is the first option and fighting the fire is the second option, to be tried only if you're already clear of the fire. You've only got 20 seconds!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey Dave, you learned a lot!!We were also there and the reps from all the companies participating were all excellent. Keystone did a great job of lining up the reps and David and JoAnna did an excellent job of setting up the sessions so we could attend nearly everything we wanted. John K did a excellent job of explaining to us the use of cell phones and the use of your computers on the road. I've got notes on all the classes/sessions I attended and will try and type up a short synopsis of each an post them in the future! I didn't attend all the classes but between the DW and myself we attended most of them.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can not stress the importance of reading the manuals on all the equipment that came with your camper and adhering to all the maintenance procedures. We have a very long thread on U bolts that was unnecessary had we all looked at the Dexter manual and adhered to the procedures. My negligence cost us over 700.00..delayed a rally trip and caused unnecessary stress on both of us..Not to mention that we both could have been killed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote