Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
hoganc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9305
Send a message via Yahoo to hoganc
Slideout Operation

New owner of a 342pht and want to know if you can lock out one or more slides so that they do not extend; for example if you are in a spot where there is not room for the bunkhouse slide to extend.

hoganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
[/img]
TO THE MOC FAMILY

I would imagine the Mountaineer has the same set up as the Montana. Look at your slide pump. You should see thumb screws. If your rig has 3 slides there should be 3 thumb screws, 2 slides- 2 screws. You can turn off each individual slide by closing it's corresponding screw. Usually they are not marked. You can figure which is which by closing all but one. Try all the slides the one that doesn't work is the one that the thumb screw is closed.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Once we figured out which valve affected which slide, Kathy used our Brother P-Touch labeler to label the valves.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Perhaps the Mountaineers now have the valves for individual slide operation now, but our 06 does not have it.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Thats weird because our 04/05 does.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackandh2o

Thats weird because our 04/05 does.

Ray
Option perhaps? Ours only has two slides also; perhaps that has something to do with it. My neighbor has an 05 Mountaineer,not sure what model, but it has three slides. I'll try and see if his has the valve block on the pump. I did notice the other day he was having on site brake service and that his unit has 5000 lb. axles (ours has 6K lb. axles). Perhaps they just put whatever they had in the plant at the time on them. Weird I must add.

Update: Just talked to the neighbor. His pump does not have the valve block for independent slide operation. I would think it must have been an option.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
We have a 08 Mountaineer and I wish we had the selector valves on the pump. Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
hoganc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9305
Send a message via Yahoo to hoganc
Thanks to everyone for the information. I do not see any thumbscrews or shut-off valves around the pump body. It appears it would be relatively easy to put a manafold adjacent to the pump which included the shut-off valves for each section. Will work toward that. It just seems to me that sooner or later, I will end up in a spot where I can't extend both sides and need to have an option for that.
hoganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Hogan -

As long as you are in a campground, you shouldn't have an issue. We have had a few times where we had to get the unit just right so that the slides would straddle a box or something else (like an aspen tree). Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey Hoganc,

Welcome to the MOC. Regarding your concerns on your rigs slideouts, I previously used a tape measure out about 40" (our slides are 36") on either side for where the slideouts could be located and to ensure clearance of trees, poles, and other campsite objects (lights, power pole, faucets). But I am pretty good at eyeballing it now. Also make sure to look up to. I have seen others who forget to check for low handing limbs and such.

Since then I have also seen a clever rod that you can attach to your rig that extends out to "premeasure" clearance, but you can probably use a dowel or cones or design something for yourself.

Most RV campsites are not an issue because they typically allow about 20 ft between objects, but it sounds like you plan to venture to unimproved campsites that might not have considerations for 15 ft wide rolling houses.

I still keep the tape measure in my rig's tool box.

Have fun with the new rig and welcome to the MOC membership.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Make a mark on your awning rod so you can use that to measure how far the slide comes out. Our mountaineer did not have the valves either, until we put one on.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
mcculloe
Established Member

M.O.C. #7259
We have an early 2008 Montana, and it was/is an option. Thus, why some have it/some don't. I remember being on the fence about it when we ordered ours. The dealer rep said they never order their stock units with them. But it was fairly cheap so I checked the box for it. I want to say it was like $150 even at SRP. Probably should have saved the money -- 2 years later, still haven't used it.

mcculloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Erik and Amanda are correct, it's an option, at least on the Montana. I'm not sure whether the Mountaineer has it as an option.

Changing to the lockout manifold should not be difficult. When our lockout manifold sprang a leak I got one shipped to me and swapped it out myself. It was a ten minute job.

Most people probably never use it but it is very handy when you need it. We've used ours a few times.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #14
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
We bought our Mountaineer off the lot so I'm unsure if it was an option or not. We where very concerned about this and had a few discussion with the dealor on it. In the end they agreeded to add valves for us. It cost $300 and was labelled "Selector Valve".

I must admit I have not used it often but when I have it is handy. For example, when we need to get to the bunkroom in a rest area or last weekend we stopped by LL Bean and needed to use it in a parking lot.

I can get you a picture if you like.

Good luck!
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #15
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
[quote]Originally posted by mcculloe

We have an early 2008 Montana, and it was/is an option. Thus, why some have it/some don't. I remember being on the fence about it when we ordered ours. The dealer rep said they never order their stock units with them. But it was fairly cheap so I checked the box for it. I want to say it was like $150 even at SRP. Probably should have saved the money -- 2 years later, still haven't used it.

Hello McCulloe,

The selector valve was an item I really wanted when we purchased our 336RLT Mountaineer,all the Montana's on the lot had those I think.Maybe we'll run in to each other in a campground sometime and we can swap.I'll gladly give you $150.00 for the valve and do all the work and even provide/make up new hydraulic hoses if needed.Just a thought!!
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote