Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
TJer99

M.O.C. #22236
AC Concerns

We fulltime in a 2016 Montana 3950BR (40’er w/2 AC units). Cleaned the filters last night and noticed all four air intakes are collapsing. Planning to get some 1.5” PVC pipe this week to get up and provide some lift for them. Do I need to or should I take the AC unit off its position on the roof to have access to both sides of the intake? I am thinking I should.

This morning I removed the access cover to see how much work that would be. Looks like just 4 bolts mount it to the roof (pic 6). While in there I also noticed what appears to be the temperature sensor cable is “neatly” jammed into the cooling coil fins (pic 7). Is that a proper or even a normal location for it? I am now a bit concerned that could increase failure on the AC or may not be cooling the RV well because of it.

Do I just move on and make the correction or should I contact my warranty company. Remember we fulltime so warranty work that takes my home kind of worries me (I haven’t had any done yet so don’t know how it’ll work). Looking for thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA5155C9-5CA3-4B7A-B762-9E78A5242247.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	2123   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D95A798-D23F-4E07-A46F-B47E1C66B18E.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	2124  

TJer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
The return vent pvc mod is done on the inside (ceiling) not on the outside unit. Remove the grills on the returns (2 for each A/C) and insert the pvc pipe. Be sure to smooth the edges of the pipe before inserting so they don't damage the inside of the duct.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
The return vent pvc mod is done on the inside (ceiling) not on the outside unit. Remove the grills on the returns (2 for each A/C) and insert the pvc pipe. Be sure to smooth the edges of the pipe before inserting so they don't damage the inside of the duct.
Robert that is your Ice Sensor and is mounted in the correct area of your Evaporator Coil
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you do take the unit off you have to be sure to get the seal back properly and tighten the unit down but not over tighten it. If you do you can make sure the ducts are taped properly and that the unit is aligned to asure the return air and supply air are going where they should.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
TJer99

M.O.C. #22236
Thanks

Thanks for the inputs. Got my endoscope today to look in the vent ducts and going to stay on the inside and work it, I think.

Robert
Old 08-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJer99 View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Got my endoscope today to look in the vent ducts and going to stay on the inside and work it, I think.

Robert
Very interested in what you use for endoscope!! Been looking at them for smart phones but haven’t seen one with adjustable focus
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
TJer99

M.O.C. #22236
Jim,
I just bought one of the cheap ones on amazon for my smart phone got the 10m one. Probably wouldn’t go beyond 5m in the future. Just too long and unlikely to ever use that length now that I’ve used it. The one I got claims a focal area from about 1” to 15”. I think it’s probably centimeters but could be wrong. But in the confined spaces I’ve been in (ac ducts) it’s been challenging. It works and some is probably a learning curve for me on controlling it. Also the LEDs are nice but they mess with the image abit. Next is to maybe get a flood/flashlight into the space and then not use the LEDs and see how that is. Also it didn’t come with any of the “included” accessories it claimed so I am a little peeved.

Robert

PS. What lake in Montana? If I read your name right. My wife is from Billings MT and we really enjoy the flathead area.