Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
TST-507 Review & Thoughts

It occurs to me after lots of testing, using the system and forum chat that the TST-507 is great at a couple of things and lousy at a couple more. Let me explain:

First, as a tire pressure monitoring system, in the purest sense, my own system is very inaccurate. It measures low, across all 8 sensors I own. Quite low actually. If I tried to set cold tire pressures to the readings I get from it, I would be over-pressuring my tires significantly. I took care to make sure it was not an error in my test gauge. I used 3 separate gauges and had 2 different tire stores confirm my gauges are accurate. So, when I say my system is reading 6 lbs. low, I am 100% sure that is a fact.
In a reply from the company, they suggested tightening the sensors another revolution or so on the valve stems. Sorry, but when I install them, there is not another revolution of tightness left! I snug them up tight and that's it. No more to go.

Next, the plug connector that powers the unit leaves a lot to be desired! When inserted into the base, it is not seated anywhere near flush. A significant part of the plug is left exposed and renders it vulnerable to bending and damage. It really, really, needs to be re-designed to plug in tight and flush. Poor engineering. The other thing about that bad plug is, at least on my unit, if you even touch the plug or disturb it, the unit looses power momentarily causing it to beep, then reboot, taking several minutes to regain pressures from all tires. This is the second plug they have sent me, with the same problems inherent.

Now, the positives: As a pressure CHANGE monitor, it excels! This, is after all, why I bought it. To be alerted to dropping tire pressures. It does this very rapidly and effectively. I want to know if a tire develops a leak. I know it works well in that regard.
Next, as a temperature monitor, It seems to work well too. If a bearing starts to over-heat, or a tire starts to suffer a tread separation, then overheating can result, and I might be alerted to the problem BEFORE a catastrophic failure happens.

Be aware, you will need to play with your high-pressure alarms to keep them from sounding needlessly. I really don't get the high-pressure limit alarms anyway. If you are accurately setting a tire pressure cold, you cannot ever get to a dangerous pressure level.

Bottom line is, don't rely on this system to accurately show tire pressures. At least in my case, it is very inaccurate. You just absolutely need to use an accurate and trusted tire gauge to set your tire pressures.
However, as a pressure CHANGE monitor, it works nicely. As a temperature monitor, it also seems to work nicely.

The power plug is a potential problem, and prone to bending/damage because of it not sitting flush to the unit when plugged in.

Would I buy the same system again? Hmmm....Good question. I would at least read the reviews of some competitors before making the decision.

These are my opinions, based on my experiences with the unit I purchased.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Maybe I'm a lucky one as my pressure readings are right on with my 3 tire gauges. if they differ, they are only out by plus or minus 1 pound which I don't worry about. I've had no problems with my system and would highly recommend it. I have the flow through sensors.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My 507 system Mark is exactly like yours and reads low across all tires. I 100% agree with your findings.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I wonder if they may have a quality control issue or a problem depending upon the type of sensor. I have the 507 system but with the flow thru sensors. Mine are very accurate also.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Won't the manufacturer repair it?
Or could the problem be in the valve stems. I think I would try it on some other tires to see if any thing changed. It seams like they might think the valve stems could be the problem.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Mine read about 5lbs. low also. I bought them as a monitor, so it's OK w/me.
Too many with the same issue to be valve stems.

Mark
Old 05-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Won't the manufacturer repair it?
Or could the problem be in the valve stems. I think I would try it on some other tires to see if any thing changed. It seams like they might think the valve stems could be the problem.
Lynwood
No, it's for sure not valve stems. I feel confident in saying that because it is the same exact problem (low pressure reading) on all 4 trailer tires as well as all 4 truck tires. All at the same time, and all about the same percentage low.If it was just one or 2 sensors out of the 8 I have, I would suspect a valve stem, or bad sensors or batteries. But with all 8 doing the same thing, it's probably in the receiver unit.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
CWSWine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18254
When I dropped off my 5er at the dealer for warranty work and drove about 40 miles home the TST monitor was still displaying the last readings from when the 5er was hooked up. As I'm driving down the road how do I know if I looking at current data or did I lose the signal and looking at data that could be 45 minutes old?

Mine also reads about 3 lbs low but knowing that I can set it accordingly.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:57 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Mark I have one and would be happy to send you the receiver to try if that would help. I agree the problem is in the receiver.
Lynwood
Old 05-13-2016, 04:37 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have had my flow thru TPMS for about 3 years. Mine reads within 5 or 6 pounds of my digital tire gauge. Since everyone is pumping between 90 and 110 pounds of air into G614 generally, then that means we are getting concerned about the TPMS being about 8% off?

That honestly doesn't matter to me at all. I keep my G614's at 95 pounds cold pressure. I have gotten up in the morning when it was 30 degrees out and they were registering 80 and by lunch time going down the road they were up to 115. I am getting what I expected out of my system and am very happy with it. The only concern IMHO would be if you like to set your tires at maximum pressure and you are in extremely hot areas of the country, then you may want to gauge them by manual means and lower that pressure slightly.

I use my extra two sensors on my aluminum motorcycle trailer. This morning I just re-set my receiver for those parameters. I use my digital gauge and properly air both 13" tires, then set my high and low according on the TPMS.

I for one love these systems and feel I have more than gotten my monies worth.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
dromuald

M.O.C. #18804
I have a TST 507 with flow through sensors and I believe they accurately report pressure, at least in accordance with their specification. Not sure about temp but I will say that all four sensors are relatively consistent under varying conditions.

My only complaint is one that was already mentioned. If I drive away from my rig with the monitor on it continues to display the last registered data. I have been miles away and 25 minutes since detaching and it still displays the old data. It is supposed to alarm after a set time with no data. I called the number in the literature and they had no answer for me.

I will say the system has already paid for itself. I had a tread seperation and rapid loss of pressure on the interstate at 70mph. It alarmed as advertised and I got to the shoulder rather quickly. By the time I got out of the truck and walked around to the tire it was almost flat. I am sure I would have done serious damage to the rig if I had not been warned by the TPMS.
dromuald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have just started to use my system and it looks like mine reads about 4 pounds light. What I really want to know is when I have a sudden loss of pressure so reading low is no problem.
Lynwood
Old 07-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I am curious, if you take the sensor off, measure tire pressure at the stem, and then put the sensor back on, do you get the same pressure on your gage? Or, are you comparing the pressure measured at the flow through vs what the monitor is telling you? Those could be two very different readings. The flow through is for adding air. Not sure you will get the same reading as at the valve stem.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Love the TST 507 system. I feel they are close to accurate for pressure, however I am more concerned with the rapid change in temperature or in pressure. The pressure is more accurate from the tire gauge and I rely on that. From that point the change in pressure on the TST monitor is all I worry about. This system is close but I don't believe it is designed to be 100% accurate for pressure for every tire application. My only complaint is the slow filling of the tires when the flow through sensors are installed. I would still rather live with this than the lack of monitoring while traveling down the highway.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:42 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We set the PSI at the valve stem. It reads 3 PSI low at the monitor. I know that so it is not a issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Mine is not the flow through. I bought a digital gage and it checks the same as my regular gage. Both check about 4 pounds higher than my TPM. I thought it might be the valve stems on my MH so I took one of the units off and put it on my camper. It still measures about 4 pounds light. Like Rich said no big deal.
Lynwood
Old 07-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #17
racquetballfreq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10395
Send a message via AIM to racquetballfreq
I too have the flow through the TST507 system and have found the pressure readings to be 6-8 pounds low as well, but the alarm system works great, (should I say China Bombs). Another problem is with filling tires with the monitors attached. It seems to take a lot more time verses filling the tires directly through the valve stem. Any thoughts?
racquetballfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #18
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
My 507 reads within 1# of my tire gauge, heavy duty truck mechanical tire gauge. 614's do gain pressure on the road but Goodyear assures me this is normal. Run 105# cold.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #19
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racquetballfreq

I too have the flow through the TST507 system and have found the pressure readings to be 6-8 pounds low as well, but the alarm system works great, (should I say China Bombs). Another problem is with filling tires with the monitors attached. It seems to take a lot more time verses filling the tires directly through the valve stem. Any thoughts?
This is exactly the issue that made me choose the non-flow through. My buddy has the flow-through on his SOB trailer. After investigating his prior to my purchase, I found I could literally remove the sensor, air up the tire and re-install the sensor faster than he could add the air through the flow-through. I made my decison immediately on playing with his. After he saw mine, once I got them ordered and installed, he said he wished he had never heard of the flow-through design. {Other than that though, he loves his as much as I love mine. except for the low-pressure readings it constantly gives me.}
Old 08-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #20
scotchwhiskey

M.O.C. #17681
Why the TST507? Anyone use the EEZ products? Just starting to shop.
scotchwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote