Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #41
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
...and while you're at it - see if that bag blows up like a balloon.
That's a great idea.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #42
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
In regards to the water coming out of the black tank flush my 3475 also dose that and if you track down the plumbing chances are that the check valve is up higher then the fill and when the hose is disconnected the line from the valve to the hose connection drains and then,if not careful, you get wet. Also about the valve that lets sewer gas into the unit, I have heard of this a few times before.One was a motor home and it had been back to the factory 3 times and they could not fix the problem. They were at a rally and a tech replaced the valve and the smell was gone. It seems that your dealer must be a good one and if so see if they would send you a new valve because of the sewer gasses getting into the unit. It could be a health issue.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ozzie..very funny...I thought of that so did not do it that way as Helen said.."and what are you going to do with a bag full of sewer gas"
Here is how this forum works and how valuable it is. I report a problem..sewer gas smell. I get much feed back. Some one says there is a one way valve, I did not know that. I check it.. that is were the smell is coming from I do not know how it works,,I ask the question..I get the answer. Some one mentions it might be negative pressure. I check that..it is. Someone suggest I bag the valve..I don't do that but I close both gray and galley outside valves...button up the camper..run the fan...no smell..so we know the smell is not something in the tanks but from the C.G system. So it has to be a bad valve or very poor design..I will call the service center Tuesday and find someone who knows exactly how that thing is supposed to work and my guess is order a new one... All this without talking to a dealer or Keystone...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #44
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Rich: Just an aside re the grey and gally tank valves...we leave ours closed all the time until it is time to dump the black tank. We use the galley and grey water as a final rinse for the entire dump pipe and sewer hose system after dumping the black tank. That way, there is no way for fumes to get into the rig from the CG sewer system. On occasion, we may have to dump some of either the grey or galley tank before taking care of the black tank, but always keep enough "on board" to rinse out the sewer pipes.

In any event, we always keep the grey and galley tank valves closed, except to dump the tanks, even if hooked up for a month or more at an site. Not a solution, just an observation and a technique..

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #45
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We are the same as PJ.

Never leave any tank valves open and dump when necessary. We also use the grey water tank(s)to clean lines after dumping the black water tank.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #46
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I agree with PJ and J&D. I thought it was common practice to leave the Black & Grey/Galley tank valves closed, except when dumping.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #47
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It is a must for the black and galley tanks, or the liquids drain leaving "hardened or dried solids" at the bottom of your tank. It can ruin a tank in a short time.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #48
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WE now agree about leaving the gray and galley tank valves closed. We have never done that when on full hookups in all our years of camping and never had a "smell" problem. Now we do flush our tanks on a regular bassis..The black tank every day and the gray and galley tanks once a week.I still think this is a poor design feature or poor quality one way valve.. Our quest is to find the answer to the smell problem. We start by calling the service center today.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 AM   #49
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

WE now agree about leaving the gray and galley tank valves closed. We have never done that when on full hookups in all our years of camping and never had a "smell" problem. Now we do flush our tanks on a regular bassis..The black tank every day and the gray and galley tanks once a week.I still think this is a poor design feature or poor quality one way valve.. Our quest is to find the answer to the smell problem. We start by calling the service center today.
Rich,
I'm not sure it's a good idea to flush the black water tank daily. Unless you have it at least half full of liquid, you can't flush the solids out. But maybe I've misread something. Do you have the built-in back flush system in your rig? If so, then it's probably fine to flush every day. But sounds like a lot of extra work to me.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have the new docking station and that makes flushing easy. We also keep the black tank at least half full of liquid..It is our opinion that doing that reduces the chance of clogs and paper buildup also eliminates the need for "chemicals"Would agree that is a lot of extra work without the docking station.. It take maybe10/ 15 mins a day to do the flush, just move the hose up one input.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 AM   #51
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

Just a suggestion. I have a separate gray hose I use for the flush. Not that I don't trust a check valve - but I don't trust a check valve - and I sure don't want any of that backsplash from the black flush coming back into my potable hose.

If you had the gray hose, you could even leave it hooked up to the docking station and just disconnect it at the bib when you're not using it.

Brad
Old 02-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I to have a seperate old cheap gray hose(Sears) attached to the black flush. I don't think there is a check valve on the black flush as i mentioned it shoots water out 2 or 3 feet...hence the gray hose..Just "Y"it off the C.G post and turn it on when needed. I have a plan when at the service center..I am going to hook up the water to the black flush then tell the service center tech that there is a problem with the black flush..when he says what.. i say ..take the hose off..when it nails him in the chest..i say... that's the problem.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #53
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

According to the manual (No-Fuss Flush) I got with the Monty, there is a vacuum breaker-check valve located downstream of the inlet, and it is located 6" higher than the highest flood level rim of any fixture connected to the waste holding tank (that would be the toilet). I think that's why you're getting wet. When you relieve pressure on the line and provide a drain - the vacuum breaker opens and dumps the water out the inlet. Probably a lot of water in that hose up to the vacuum breaker.

It also warns to disconnect at the bib and let it drain before disconnecting from the docking station.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Take a note and stick it in your docking station...."warning take 2 steps to the left before disconnecting the black flush hose." It is nice that the warning to drain is in the manual..if you have one.. and not anywhere in the docking station. Of course after the first wet down you begin to suspect that there is something that you do not know???
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #55
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Boys, what I did was hook up an additional vacuum breaker to the black tank flush, with a loop....
Oh heck I'll take a picture of it and post it later, we just got back from a 10 mile bike ride 5 miles of into the wind, (on the way back, of course) Anyway, my deal works pretty slick.
Later, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #56
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK, here are the pic's, I just use the small Black quarter turn valve for the back-flush and watter supply. The vacuum break dribbles water when turned off, but it just runs on the ground, Works for me................
Backflush and supply:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0909.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0908.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #57
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hey Ozz,

That's a good idea. I probably got enough of the parts here. I may run the Y down by the bib.

Thanks for the pics!
Brad
Old 02-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #58
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich, that vacuum break is in the wall above the shower controls. You have about 6 feet of hose filled with water that has to drain when you disconnect.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #59
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

That explains the inspecton plate in the Pantry! Wondered why they put that in when we have the tub, not the shower.

Brad
Old 02-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #60
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have the spare parts to do what Ozz did..will do.. 6 feet of hose filled with water no mention of it and no warning that you will be wet down Sounds like another design from the "office of Diabolical engineering" It is fortunate that we have this forum to find out all these things.