Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There may be a "silent majority" as far as satisfied owners. This is a Montana Owners Forum and their blood runs deep. But ... aside from listening to both satisfied and dissatisfied testimonials ... take a look at ANY RV dealership's service lot as to sheer numbers and ask what the average wait time is to get your unit repaired. The look and the answer to the question will tell you there is a boatload of RV's with issues stacked up nation wide to be looked at. You must decide if you and your money are comfortable with the probability. As for the dealer you have exposed here ... walk off ... you'll not regret it.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #22
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by dke1955 View Post
Truly can't believe there will be a customer service rep (many reps) to help y'all with your service issues at the rally....if I was that/those reps I would be packin', cause he will surely be the brunt of all the owners frustrations...
Enough said about the PDI/dealer issue.

As for the service techs, this is a courtesy Keystone extends to us; not something they have to do. The service techs are very nice and work their tails off; I don't know of anyone who abuses them. We are grateful for the assistance.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dealers should do a PDI but too many are like our Camper World. They don’t even fix the obvious problems they say “ if there is a problem the customer will find it and then we will fix it. They are half right the customer will find it after it messes up their vacation. The next problem is getting them to fix it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #24
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
[QUOTE=dke1955 Truly can't believe there will be a customer service rep (many reps) to help y'all with your service issues at the rally..[/QUOTE]

You need to believe it. Keystone has been doing this since I was Wagon Master in 2012 and have improved upon it every year. Personally, I've had them ship me a part in NM after the Rally (it wasn't used on new rigs anymore) and then paid to have a local dealer install it. Keystone has always been great with us on warranty work even before I was Wagon Master but I was always careful in what dealer I chose and talked with Keystone Customer Service in a respectful manner alll the way through the processes. We didn't have to buy another Montana or any rig at all. We loved our old rig, but like the new one even better. Good luck on your purchase, just don't buy it from that dealer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What Dick said about being respectful is true. Several small business owners were setting around my camper at a large bench rest shooting match. What we all agreed on was if you are nice to someone you are likely to get about any thing you ask for. If you get nasty it’s to he11 with you. You will get nothing. We all had it happen. Call me, be nice and anything you ask for is yours get mean and get nothing. It’s human nature.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #26
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I can agree with the above. Our SOB is now under Keystone for Repairs and Warranty work. We had our National Rally in July in the Shipshewana area and had Factory Techs doing work on units, both in and out of warranty, most out. Only cost was the Rally Fee. Couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of Guys and they would bend over backwards to be helpful.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #27
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
First thing I HAVE to ask OP is did you price your unit with at least 3 other dealers???? If you didn’t you need to get with someone who is experienced at negotiating a good deal!! Never ever walk into the closest dealer and throw yourself on their mercy!!! You should shop several and let them KNOW you are doing it. Saving money on the front end is the FIRST step
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #28
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
Thank you everyone for the replies. It appears I may have touched a nerve or two with the phrasing of my post, which was not the intention...wow....never had anything I posted draw two pages of replies! As far as the techs go, I was trying to inject a little humor in the post but obviously that failed...I should have let that alone also..
Two years ago I purchased a 2003 top of the line in her day pusher, it was a beautiful coach, however it needed a good bit of work, some of which I did myself, and some had to be done by an outside dealership. I spent a lot of $$$ after the purchase on getting the coach back in proper condition. I had the pleasure to work with some outstanding knowledgeable techs and even a warranty company which was on my side some of the time. I learned a lot. It was my first venture into this world. However, my greatest source of comfort, knowledge, and one of the overriding factors of my decision to purchase the coach was the folks on the coach forum. The amount of knowledge and great folks on that forum was outstanding, and I see the same thing with MOC. Wonderful caring people with a ton of knowledge who will do anything to help. It is a pleasure to have your comments, I have taken all of them to heart. Again, I did not mean to stir the hornets nest, truly just wanted to see if you thought the dealer was as out of touch as I did!...please forgive if I ruffled any feathers...thanks again..
dave
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #29
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
What Dick said about being respectful is true. Several small business owners were setting around my camper at a large bench rest shooting match. What we all agreed on was if you are nice to someone you are likely to get about any thing you ask for. If you get nasty it’s to he11 with you. You will get nothing. We all had it happen. Call me, be nice and anything you ask for is yours get mean and get nothing. It’s human nature.
Lynwood
Not my way to be rude. I like to think I am intelligent enough to get my point across without being sarcastic or threatening. I've been dealing with the public for 41 years...it's worked so far.
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #30
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
First thing I HAVE to ask OP is did you price your unit with at least 3 other dealers???? If you didn’t you need to get with someone who is experienced at negotiating a good deal!! Never ever walk into the closest dealer and throw yourself on their mercy!!! You should shop several and let them KNOW you are doing it. Saving money on the front end is the FIRST step
I was wondering how long it would take for the 3 dealer question to come out.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #31
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
All dealers are not created equally. Our last dealer is located 500 miles from us. I call, make an appointment, and am in and out the same day. This is our third Montana, all at different dealers. But, I checked out the dealers first before I bought. And, we have done a PDI befoe we signed on the dotted line at each of them. Your choice of dealer will determine your satisfaction with your unit. As Rondo said, the dealer should be taking care of the PDI before you ever get there. At least 5 MOC members have bought from this same dealer. Best of luck.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #32
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
All I can say is "There ya have it. The reason I sold my Montana". I researched and looked hard and compared hard before making the decision to abandon Keystone. Before anyone bothers saying it, yes I understand they ALL have issues. It's all about the kinds of issues, the frequency of those issues and how the dealer and manufacturers are taking care of them. After 4 years of the Montana / Keystone problems, I chose to bail-out and pick SOB. After 8 months of ownership, compared to the first 8 months of Montana ownership it's a much better purchase for me and my money. The American RV industry is in the same place as the American automobile industry was in the 70s and 80s. We seriously need some foreign competition to wake the manufacturers up. They are telling us what we want and need, and delivering flash and shine, but low, low levels of workmanship.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #33
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
The dealershhip I worked for did the PDI after all was signed. Money did not usually change hands (there is always an earnest deposit) until the unit was accepted by the buyer and the buyer took delivery. I'm not certain about law, but the deal should not be complete until you drive off the lot.

But make certain the PDI is complete. Check everything, EVERYTHING possible before taking delivery. Don't allow the PDI technician to hurry you. Ask every question and make sure you understand the answer, if necessary get your salesman involved, his commission is on the line here. The only things that cannot be checked is tank draining and the charging circuits. Even if you have the hitch installed elsewhere make it the dealers reresponsibility that wiring is correct and the unit rides level. This all brings up the point, don't get in a rush to take delivery. Allow enough time--4 or weeks or more before you plan to use the unit. This way you have the power to walk away, the dealer will make it happen, they are the ones that can loose. If you trade in, do not leave the trade-in until you are taking delivery even if you brought it because you were expecting to take delivery. Leave it where the dealership can see it, but not in their hands. You will need to take it to them for appraisal but take it back with you until delivery. Let them know you are ansy about getting delivery but remember YOU are the one with the money until you take delivery. You are the buyer you are the final decision.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #34
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
I don't know where you are going to purchase your rig but General RV is a family based company out of Michigan with dealerships in Ohio and Florida also. I've dealt with them for a number of years (4 Rigs total) and absolutely love their service department. Had a blow out on a tire in Jacksonville and made an emergency stop at their dealership and was treated like royalty. Did a quick check on rig with some minor repairs to get me road worthy again "at no charge". Can't say enough about it all where you buy your unit!
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #35
Pa_5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20027
I used to work as a supervisor for customer support for Office Depot. Many of my agents said they would never buy HP printers because most calls from unhappy printer customers were for HP printers. Once I reminded them that HP was the highest selling printers at the time (and may still be), and that happy customers aren't going to call customer support to say "everything is working great!". I agree that many factories are likely building RVs faster to help keep up with demand. When we are ready to upgrade our Montana, we will not purchase from a dealer that won't provide us with the exact contact information for our sales person as well as who/how to contact someone about any issues. We are well aware that nothing is ever perfect so we plan to remain prepared.
Pa_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #36
Wayner197
Established Member

M.O.C. #21715
PDI

The 1st thing you do is NOT give them the money or sign the finance papers UNTIL you do a thourough and comprehensive PDI. Take as much time as you want (days if you need to). Most importantly, have them fix anything that is wrong on the spot.
If the dealer will not agree to this, then take your money elsewhere!!!
Some people camp overnight in their new trailer before signing the papers. I almost bought a Jayco and we were ready to set the delivery date. We were paying cash for one of their in stock units. The general mgr called me and told me that they had to have the cash 3 days in advance. He would not budge so I walked. Later that day I received 2 phone calls begging me to come back that they had changed their mind. I told them I did not play games and I was done with them. Later I bought a Montana at CW and not only did they make me a great deal they let me take as much time as I wanted with the PDI and fixed anything that was not right. THEN I signed the papers, paid them their $$ and we took her home.
Wayner197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #37
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
We spent a year or more researching RV floor plans, manufacturers, dealerships & what was included in RV. Inclusions like aluminum roof trusses, porcelain toilet, SS kitchen sink, storage, etc. 2 years ago, we bought our 3160RL Monty and we're very satisfied, love it. The only issue we've had is the refrigerator didn't stay on with propane when the slide out was in. Dealership fixed it and we haven't had any other problem.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #38
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by margerush View Post
We spent a year or more researching RV floor plans, manufacturers, dealerships & what was included in RV. Inclusions like aluminum roof trusses, porcelain toilet, SS kitchen sink, storage, etc. 2 years ago, we bought our 3160RL Monty and we're very satisfied, love it. The only issue we've had is the refrigerator didn't stay on with propane when the slide out was in. Dealership fixed it and we haven't had any other problem.
We have the same trailer and love it. I can't imagine only having one issue with it. Congratulations. I fixed a ton of things that should have never left the factory. In the world I retired from I would have fired folks for such workmanship.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #39
cliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12209
They all suck. The dealers and manufacturers do the minimum. Example 1988 Fleetwood. New water heater and water line leaks. 2006 holiday rambler brakes failed on way home. 2008 Montana new dual motor landing gear, Leaf springs not alignned, toilet seat never fit, new rebuild of furnace, removed all decals starting 2011 because pealing, rebuilt fridge, and more. 2018 jayco, don't even 17 critcal things wrong. Read the first sentence.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 AM   #40
BrownBear
Established Member

M.O.C. #22331
Keystone has a horrid warranty process for repairs and parts so owner may fear he wouldn’t get reimbursed but saying that I would be hesitant to purchase from him.
Manufacturing process is not really a true process so each unit may differ and one in thirty units is inspected. I believe this is not unique to most manufacturers. Sad commentary for industry.
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote