Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #141
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The problem is that even ditching the rig qnd going to a similar product won't necessarily solve the problem. I'm at The Ranch in Lakewood, NM and another lease holder here bought a new and lovely Big Horn last spring when we were here. The Big Horn is back at the factory for issues similar to yours, except it was happening with the roof decking near the AC units, if I understand correctly.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #142
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just went back and read and of your post then spent a few minutes wondering what I would do if I were you. I don't know. I wouldn't sell it or trade it and have someone get it and have a camper that couldn't be repaired under warranty and yet I wouldn't keep it. I guess I'm too honest to let someone get took when I know something is wrong with what I'm selling. When I sell or trade a car I fix everything I can find that needs to be fixed. I don't know if this camper can be fixed. The only solution I can see that would satisfy me is to give it back to Keystone and get another brand not made by Thor.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #143
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

I just went back and read and of your post then spent a few minutes wondering what I would do if I were you. I don't know. I wouldn't sell it or trade it and have someone get it and have a camper that couldn't be repaired under warranty and yet I wouldn't keep it. I guess I'm too honest to let someone get took when I know something is wrong with what I'm selling. When I sell or trade a car I fix everything I can find that needs to be fixed. I don't know if this camper can be fixed. The only solution I can see that would satisfy me is to give it back to Keystone and get another brand not made by Thor.
Lynwood
Yep, if you are an honest guy, and want to be fair, this is a difficult decision. When we sold our motor home, I also wanted to sell the tow car, and be honest. It was "low mileage" but the odometer didn't show the tow miles...which was greater than the actual driven mileage. My solution was to trade it. I told the dealer it had been towed behind a MH (still had the tow equipment on the front). In fact I tried to get a better deal saying he could sell it as a tow car since it was already set up to tow. Anyway, it became the dealer's problem...I was honest with him...but I don't know what he told a potential buyer.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:55 AM   #144
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A potential buyer, that is the guy we haft to be concerned about.
Lynwood
Old 11-07-2016, 02:41 AM   #145
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Oh, you don't think a dealer would fully disclose something they don't hae to
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:55 AM   #146
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
An honest one would.
Lynwood
Old 11-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #147
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Spent a good part of the morning at the dealer. The new GM was not in today, but the retiring one was, so he and the service manager called Keystone separately. Before I got home, about a 30 minute drive, the service manager called and asked me to call the Owner Relations Dept at Montana. So I did. The woman I spoke to had no idea why I was calling at first and then began to slowly figure it out. Unfortunately, she had not been briefed on the problems at hand. She said she wanted to ask me some questions about the possible frame issue. I stopped her right there and said, "If that is the bank of about 20 questions, Iv'e already answered them TWICE before and see no need in answering them again." There was silence. She then stated that since it was a new claim that it had to be started from scratch. I nearly lost it. I started a few words a little more angry than I should have. I then apologized to her as I think I came across a little strong. I told here this was not a new claim and that it was an ongoing problem that had been attempted repairs done 3 times already. I then told her my VIN# and told her to look up the case file and the email that was sent to them by me last week. She took about 15 minutes or so and came back on the line and apologized. I then told her that I was not angry with her, but that I'm tired of people there not acknowledging the problem. She asked If there was anything new to the case. I explained that I was very concerned that every time the caulking seal was broken, that water would get in and eventually delam the left front of the camper and then I would be upset. She and I talked for another 20 minutes or so and she asked to put me on hold again. When she returned, she asked if I had thought of anything else I'd like to say as this case is being forwarded to upper management. I told her that I would like for them to review the shoddy welds within the wall of the camper, along with the videos that I've sent them links to, and then tell me if they are happy with what is seen. I told her that I was extremely unhappy at the quality of work uncovered and that I was actually mad at myself for thinking that Montana may have a better product. She told me that someone would be in touch with me soon. I kind of laughed at that because the last time anyone contacted me from Keystone, besides an answer to an email last week, was back in late July. And that was to be told to be looking for an email for instructions!
I'm not hopeful to be honest here guys. I'm only hurting myself thinking about this continuously. I've been as patient as I can be, and for those who know me, that's been pretty hard. So, I guess the ball is in their court once again and I'm in a holding pattern.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #148
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It's easy for us to set back and say what we would do but I think you are doing all you can do. If you can get your camper fixed that is what you would like. I just hope it can be fixed.
Lynwood
Old 11-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #149
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I have to take the camper back to the dealer tomorrow for some more warranty work on the InCommand system and the AC unit board. Still, not a single word from Montana on the frame issue.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #150
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Well, I talked with the GM of the dealer this morning when I took the camper in for the InCommand system and AC unit boards.(which were repaired and working now). He was just as nonchalant as normal. My salesman walked up too and has known all about the problems. When he saw I was getting upset with the GM, he said that he would go above the GM to the owner. I've spoken to the owner before and she is aware of the problem. She was not at the dealer today, so the salesman went and gathered up all the warranty info and how many times it has been to the dealer so far and put in a file and put it on her desk. He then called the owner at home and told her what has happened now. She asked for the things that my salesman had already done, and said she would call the VP of Montana Monday morning. She was upset at the fact that the GM hadn't told her that it had broken again. This is the third NEW camper I've bought from her in 6 years, and she told the salesman she would do whatever she had to to get it taken care of. THIS MOVE P***** OFF THE GM! Now, I'll have to deal with his butt-hurt attitude next time, which I don't mind at all:-X06
You are correct in saying that this post has cost them campers. I talked with a forum member here that lives about 30 miles from me last week. He had read the forum and he and his wife decided not to buy a Montana due to this here. He knows me pretty well as we have both had Sandpipers for years from this dealership. They are buying a Jayco Pinnacle with nearly the same floor plan.
OH, and get this!!! The service manager called Montana again today while I was there. He asked what the dealer should do next. AGAIN, they said they could do nothing without PICTURES! He nearly lost it!! He said, "Look in the "darn" file and you will see the same "darn" thing I am looking at here!" So they asked him to pull the unit back inside and take off the trim around the overhang and take pics again. He did and they were sent before I left. I am giving them until next week to get me an answer or I am going to become very difficult to deal with. I am OVER this camper and would love to get rid of the thing for good but I know it would cost me WAY too much money. So, if it's not settled soon, I will seek other options. I believe I have been more than fair.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #151
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I hate people that sue at the drop of a hat. But you have had far too many hats dropped. Time to start considering legal action to make them take it back with full reimbursement plus any expenses you have occurred in the process.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #152
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You have been more a lot more than fair.
Lynwood
Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #153
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
True that!! this has turned into a Horror story I am surprised you have not contacted Trailer Life Magazine as they love to post these kind of complaints and folks have gotten good results from doing that,time to take the Gloves Off and get Keystone to make it right and just buy that Lemon back PRONTO!!!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

You have been more a lot more than fair.
Lynwood
Old 11-13-2016, 04:30 AM   #154
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Trailer Life has been sent the story as well as NHTSA now.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #155
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
We have a 2013 3402RL & had a similar problem. Ours manifested it self in a cabinet wall in the right front of the trailer bulging out causing the shelves in the storage closet fall down. We caught the problem when I was either connecting or disconnecting the truck and my wife saw the storage compartment wall bulge as the weight was transferred. Took it to my dealer on returning from our trip. After 3 weeks of them conversing with Keystone, Keystone finally said send it back to them for repairs. Dropped it off in September of 2014 & got it back in March of 2015. Turns our there was a crack in the frame somewhere. I could never get the where out of our dealer or Keystone. Keystone picked up the tab but I'd like to know what was wrong. Good luck and get it in as soon as you can because it will be a while if it has to go back to the factory for repairs like ours.
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #156
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jloftice

We have a 2013 3402RL & had a similar problem. Ours manifested it self in a cabinet wall in the right front of the trailer bulging out causing the shelves in the storage closet fall down. We caught the problem when I was either connecting or disconnecting the truck and my wife saw the storage compartment wall bulge as the weight was transferred. Took it to my dealer on returning from our trip. After 3 weeks of them conversing with Keystone, Keystone finally said send it back to them for repairs. Dropped it off in September of 2014 & got it back in March of 2015. Turns our there was a crack in the frame somewhere. I could never get the where out of our dealer or Keystone. Keystone picked up the tab but I'd like to know what was wrong. Good luck and get it in as soon as you can because it will be a while if it has to go back to the factory for repairs like ours.
That is exactly the problem I have as well. I know it will be gone for quite a while. Problem is, this camper is used every 3 weeks at a minimum YEAR ROUND. For that matter, I've lost over 2 months of warranty now with it sitting at the dealer!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #157
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
The dealer called this morning and states that Montana says the camper was not properly repaired. They did not say a word about the broken studs in the wall, but rather the dealer take off the lower trim piece on the corner of the overhang and pre drill, and countersink screws every 5" behind the lower trim. They claim that will stop the flex! I'm sure it will probably stop the outside skin from flexing, but I'm doubtful it will stop the flexing of the wall structure itself. So, we are going to give this a try as they said they will not pay for it to be brought back to the factory as it doesn't need it. Still no mention of the initial crappy welds! Eventually, with all If the flexing, it will tear the bottom part of the wall. If this doesn't correct the problem, then I will take this to another level. In talking with a few of my toyhauler friends, they have had a slight separation issue in the same area. The fix, as fold to them, was screwing the fiberglass wall to the lower beam at the edge of the overhang. We will see.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #158
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If it will make you feel any better, my 05 2850RK had those very screws under the lower trim going thru the sidewall framework into the main frame as an original install when they built it. I had a recall on my unit to put the expansion joint above and below the bedroom slide like most any units have today. I was there when they initially removed the aluminum extrusion below the bedroom slide going on down to the base of the main sidewall. Looks like your unit will be a retro design ............
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #159
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Just returned from dealer a bit ago. The new epoxy and gun to install it are in. I've scheduled to take the unit next Tuesday for sure, maybe Monday if time allows. They will remove the lower trim and inject a new epoxy like Loctite 8100 into the area and then screw the sidewall to the beam along the edge(hidden by trim). The only difference this time will be that this will be done while the weight of the rig is on the pinbox and not the legs as before. I did receive a call from a member of Keystone management today assuring me that this and the AC issue will be resolved. She was very reassuring that this is being taken seriously and they are now all in for the repair. They do not have a next step as of yet if this doesn't work, so that was not comforting, but at least they upper people know there is a problem now. I will keep you guys updated.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:55 AM   #160
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
And all the above is why we are not buying a new Montana anytime soon....even a friend of mine who bought the FR Cardinal is almost in the same boat with repairs....we thought of buying a new one of them but not now...we will keep what we have that has been 99% defect free so far...still love the floor plan anyway....and they have no new floor plans that excite us....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote